1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    247

    Default Did FEMA run out of money and flee the country?

    I've been trying to contact them for 2 straight weeks. No one has answered my emails or returned my calls. I've called/emailed my GMS and my regional rep. Where are they?

    Are the federal offices in Washington open yet, or are they still closed because of the snow?

  2. #2
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Upstate (Albany area), NY
    Posts
    422

    Wink

    No, they are there. They just see on the Caller ID that it's you again, so they are ignoring you! Nothing to be paranoid about... Remember, it can't be a Government Conspiracy! Our government isn't well enough organized to conspire! ;^)
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

    George S. Patton

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    SLY4420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,003

    Default

    RELAX!!!

  4. #4
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    247

    Default

    They must surf firehouse.com. I just got a call from the regional rep, and the GMS answered me. lol. I almost just had a heart attack because both the regional rep and GMS said it didn't look like they had received anything from me. But, the GMS re-checked and she has it.

    FYI, she said the reduction notification will come later. So, ignore the ambiguous line in the 10Qs when you get them.

    Dear Mother Nature, please no more winter storms. Our company needs our grant for our 4x4 vehicle. Dumping 3.5 feet of snow on us only makes our situation more dangerous, and our need for a 4x4 more critical.

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    SLY4420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,003

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by medstudent13 View Post
    FYI, she said the reduction notification will come later. So, ignore the ambiguous line in the 10Qs when you get them.
    Which is exactly what I replied to you previously.

  6. #6
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    lurking
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by medstudent13 View Post
    Are the federal offices in Washington open yet, or are they still closed because of the snow?
    The Federal government was closed last week Monday thru Thursday, limited opening Friday and today (Monday was a Federal holiday so everything was closed). Tomorrow (Wednesday Feb. 17th) the Federal government is scheduled to be open as usual.

    Just be patient... but it's hard to be patient when other people on the forum are celebrating their awards. The awards will be announced for weeks, your turn might still come.

  7. #7
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,756

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by medstudent13 View Post
    FYI, she said the reduction notification will come later. So, ignore the ambiguous line in the 10Qs when you get them.
    Sly,

    I'm pretty sure we both explained that issue in different posts. It's like talking to my kids...they are hearing what you say, but aren't listening to what you are saying.

  8. #8
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    247

    Default

    lol..i heard both of you. But, if you remember, there was a little argument going on in that thread as to what I should do. I'd trust both of you with a lot of things, but I'm way overprotective of my grant application. I just had to make sure.

    Also, sometimes I send emails, and people never get them. Remember, I'm in medical school. My emails come with ultra-high security settings to protect the patient information that I send. Not all email accounts can receive emails from me. Better safe than sorry.

  9. #9
    MembersZone Subscriber
    ktb9780's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Auburndale, FL
    Posts
    6,113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by medstudent13 View Post
    lol..i heard both of you. But, if you remember, there was a little argument going on in that thread as to what I should do. I'd trust both of you with a lot of things, but I'm way overprotective of my grant application. I just had to make sure.

    Also, sometimes I send emails, and people never get them. Remember, I'm in medical school. My emails come with ultra-high security settings to protect the patient information that I send. Not all email accounts can receive emails from me. Better safe than sorry.


    medstudent, just bear in mind when you are in here that many of us have been there, done that and got the shirt to prove it. The GMS and FPS help desk is not infallible; I have dozens of cases where direct information they gave out was entirely contradictory to their own Program Guidance. That is not to say they do not do a fine job but, they are human just as we are and we all make mistakes. The one thing you can count on with the people that have been communicatiing with you; none of us wants to ever see anyone NOT get funded.It is a combination of experience, knowledge from these folks and the knowledge from the program office that you meld togther and make a succesful applcaition with.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

  10. #10
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    247

    Default

    I just got my reduction notice. I'm asking you gurus for help again.

    I vaguely remember some statement in the FAQs, PG, or Grant Management Tutorial that stated something along the lines of " You must use the funds to purchase the items specified in the narrative." Anyone know where that is at?

    I'm trying to argue that we can't purchase the ambulance we specified with the reduced funds.

  11. #11
    MembersZone Subscriber
    ktb9780's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Auburndale, FL
    Posts
    6,113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by medstudent13 View Post
    I just got my reduction notice. I'm asking you gurus for help again.

    I vaguely remember some statement in the FAQs, PG, or Grant Management Tutorial that stated something along the lines of " You must use the funds to purchase the items specified in the narrative." Anyone know where that is at?

    I'm trying to argue that we can't purchase the ambulance we specified with the reduced funds.
    Medstudat13t I think you are headed for asking them to restore funding to your award. What did you ask for and what are they proposing as a reduction to offer you?
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

  12. #12
    Forum Member
    SLY4420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,003

    Default

    In the award notification package, it quotes:

    ...the grantee shall perform the work described in the approved grant application as itemized in the request details section of the application and further described in the grant application's narrative.

    However, this is to say that you don't deviate from your award. You can still argue your case if properly justified in your narrative with the 4x4 issue.

  13. #13
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    247

    Default

    Thanks guys. Please provide some feedback if you have time. Here is what I plan to send:

    Dear Ms. XXXXX,

    Certainly we will accept any funding that we can get. However, we do not believe we can complete this project as it was originally designed with the reduced funds.

    In our application, we specified a "type III four wheel drive ambulance." As you will note in our narrative, "64% of all roads in XXXXX Township are dirt or gravel." Additionally, "there have been instances where our ambulance was significantly delayed in reaching a patient because of mud or snow on these unpaved roads." Therefore, we believe it is necessary to purchase a four wheel drive ambulance.

    We recently asked two different vendors for a price quote on a type III four wheel drive ambulance. We asked them to provide the lowest price they would offer us on a very basic unit. One vendor told us $143,000 - $148,000. The other vendor provided a quote of $150,000.

    Is there any chance that you will reconsider this reduction? Feel free to contact me by phone if you would like to discuss this further.

  14. #14
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    247

    Default

    Here's the original request:

    The Program Office has made the following reductions to your grant:

    The approved cost for the vehicle is $123,500 not $142,010. Therefore, they have recommended the award at this level:

    Total budget $123,500

    Federal share $117,325

    Applicant Share $6,175

    Please clearly indicate if you would or would not accept a grant with these reductions

  15. #15
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Long time no Sea
    Posts
    2,253

    Default

    Med, get all your ducks in a row. Reread and refresh everything from the beginning in your head. Look at the budget details on your online application again, then take a deep breath and call your contact who sent you the reduction. You do not have to accept the reduction until you reply to the reduction email . Just be prepared and stay calm. Remember they can't eat you.

  16. #16
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    247

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jam24u View Post
    Med, get all your ducks in a row. Reread and refresh everything from the beginning in your head. Look at the budget details on your online application again, then take a deep breath and call your contact who sent you the reduction. You do not have to accept the reduction until you reply to the reduction email . Just be prepared and stay calm. Remember they can't eat you.
    I don't plan on sending this for a few hours. I want to give the other gurus a chance to answer since they've been through this before.

    You said to call? Can't I just email. I'm much more persuasive in writing than speaking. lol

    Also, our operating budget for 2008 was $32,000 approximately. Should I include that? We had no net income. In fact, we lost $2,000.

  17. #17
    Forum Member
    SLY4420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,003

    Default

    Sounds good. Send it off with your financial info you just noted.

  18. #18
    MembersZone Subscriber
    ktb9780's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Auburndale, FL
    Posts
    6,113

    Default

    OK medstudent13 you need to do several things at this point.

    1.) Call your vendors first, get 3 of them, tellthem they have reduced your award and that you only have what they are offering and see what they tell you.

    2.) When you send that letter you should be prepared to send them written quotes from the vendors, as they will ask for them and you need to be prepared to "prove your case". You can't do that with simply your word, you will need it in writing..

    3.) You should consider that they have only reduced you by $18,510; if you accept what they are offering.. and then put it out to bid stating that you only have the $123K my guess would be that your vendors will sharpen their pencils and you wil lget what you needed.. they will not walk away from a $123K award, they will just cut back on their profit and commissions.

    Don't get anxious here, take your time, do your homework and make your case, but arm yourself to the teeth first. Be prepared to accept what they say. I have seen ambulances funded by AFG at the $150K mark.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

  19. #19
    MembersZone Subscriber
    ktb9780's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Auburndale, FL
    Posts
    6,113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by medstudent13 View Post
    I don't plan on sending this for a few hours. I want to give the other gurus a chance to answer since they've been through this before.

    You said to call? Can't I just email. I'm much more persuasive in writing than speaking. lol

    Also, our operating budget for 2008 was $32,000 approximately. Should I include that? We had no net income. In fact, we lost $2,000.
    Take a breath you do not have to answer this in 24 hours, they are not going to give your award away.. If you want to discuss it further give me a call at 863-551-9598.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

  20. #20
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    SW MO
    Posts
    4,249

    Default

    Sometimes even a quick phone call can resolve it. I did so on our CAFS reduction. Called the rep on the questions email, who forwarded me to someone else. When I asked the second person about the reduction and explained there was no way I could comply with the CAFS that I had written into the narrative he took a couple of minutes to look through and told me there had been a mistake and it shouldn't have been reduced. Another phone call to the person on the bottom of the questions email and it's resolved.

    Don't plan on them clenching down and absolutely refusing to work with you. Sometimes things get overlooked or something and it's a quick fix. However, if they feel you can get a Type III 4x4 for the amount allotted (I tend to wonder myself, but it's been a decade since I've been through the process on an ambulance), you're going to have an uphill battle. Make sure you have the quotes from the vendors like everyone said.

    Of course one of your best bets is to give Kurt a call since he offered to help. Not only will it help you get everything in line and ready, he'll boost your confidence that you're ready.

  21. #21
    MembersZone Subscriber
    dfd701's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Alabama USofA
    Posts
    321

    Default

    Well medstudent13. I have been reading all you past post for what, a month or so? I realize you are new at this game. Learn how to play it. Don’t sweat over something you have no control over. These guys that are giving you advice know what they are doing. Now you may get the money put back but how long is that going to postpone getting your money. You may want to look back at what I posted a few weeks back that tells how we got the truck we wanted ”sorry needed” and use a little imagination. Since you are a med. student I am have a little trouble with my back!! Never mind.

  22. #22
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Long time no Sea
    Posts
    2,253

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by medstudent13 View Post
    I don't plan on sending this for a few hours. I want to give the other gurus a chance to answer since they've been through this before.

    You said to call? Can't I just email. I'm much more persuasive in writing than speaking. lol

    Also, our operating budget for 2008 was $32,000 approximately. Should I include that? We had no net income. In fact, we lost $2,000.
    I'm not saying call instead of email. You will have to email your acceptance or denial in the end anyway. Its just that calling your contact can help you understand, help them understand and just maybe you both might discover a solution. I was going to say since you have posted the figures and a little more info, to contact the manufacturers and tell them your reduction problem and can they forsee being able to help you. Make sure to include the vendors closes to you. Do this before you accept a reduction and email your response back.

    Now, forget what I just posted and call Kurt and take (written) notes of what he tells you.
    Call Sly too if you want. He's a hot guy if your a female. (lol)

    Remember, Relax.....

  23. #23
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    247

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jam24u View Post
    I'm not saying call instead of email. You will have to email your acceptance or denial in the end anyway. Its just that calling your contact can help you understand, help them understand and just maybe you both might discover a solution. I was going to say since you have posted the figures and a little more info, to contact the manufacturers and tell them your reduction problem and can they forsee being able to help you. Make sure to include the vendors closes to you. Do this before you accept a reduction and email your response back.

    Now, forget what I just posted and call Kurt and take (written) notes of what he tells you.
    Call Sly too if you want. He's a hot guy if your a female. (lol)

    Remember, Relax.....
    LOL..i cracked up when I saw this. Sly, I didn't know you had a wingman on these forums.

    Anyways, thanks for the advice Jam. I might call Kurt tomorrow if I still have questions.

  24. #24
    Forum Member
    islandfire03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,634

    Talking

    Med:
    I can't offer much that hasn't already been stated.

    The prices you are getting seem to be in line with what I got from our vendor. Document that you requested the type III 4 wheel drive in your application.
    Show them the REAL need for this type of vehicle due to the road conditions and rural hilly country make up of your response area.
    Show them your loss statement from last years budget.
    Plead your case reasonably and be prepared to answer any questions immediately.
    Keep your fingers & toes crossed!

    Good luck
    I personally think you have a strong case to present and if they look at the facts you should win.
    Definitely give Kurt a call before you send your response, He has a knack for finding those little details that will help make your case.
    Last edited by islandfire03; 02-18-2010 at 12:26 AM. Reason: added additional sentence

  25. #25
    Forum Member
    SLY4420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,003

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by medstudent13 View Post
    LOL..i cracked up when I saw this. Sly, I didn't know you had a wingman on these forums.
    I didn't either; but much like the grants, as a young single guy I'll take what I can get.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register