Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 First 123
    Forum Member

Just about everyone fights brush fires so it's not a new mission. In fact, not having a brush truck can positively impact your competive scoring:

DHS believes that a greater benefit will be derived from funding an additional vehicle(s) to departments that own few vehicles like the type requested. As such, DHS assigns a higher competitive rating in the apparatus category to fire departments that own fewer firefighting vehicles relative to other departments serving similar types of communities (i.e., urban, suburban, and rural).

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by grasstrimmer View Post
    We are going to try for a brush/attack truck this year. We are a rural dept. that does not have a brush truck. Will that get called a new mission or do we have a chance. We currently just use our pumper for grass and brush fires.
    It's an existing mission as you handle grass/brush fires. When you answer that question in the "Request for Details" section make sure you answer as such. It will be:

"First-time purchase for the existing mission (do not currently own)"

If you choose "new mission" you will most likely sink the application as a new mission is the lowest of priorities.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by bigJ164019 View Post
    Im starting to worry because our department only asked for 89K for one.
    You can still get a very nice rig for that amount. The ones you are seeing for the $100K+ typically have rescue-style bodies like ours.

You can still get something with a flatbed and some compartments and have a nice rig that's built more for brush than as an all purpose rig. To be honest, we rarely use ours for "brush" fires, other than to stretch some lines and supply water for our Polaris Ranger rig. But we use the heck out of it on grass fires. We have another unit that gets down in the brush and the rougher areas.

Forum Member

Thanks yall, I feel a little better now.
    Jeremy (bigj164019) - FireFighter-I/Paramedic
    Fraternal Order of Paramedics Society
    Member Firehouse.com I.A.C.O.J. EMS Bureau

"Live for today, because yesterdays are over, and tomorrows may never come"!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jam24u View Post
    BTW, To anybody whom I sent my QuickAttack/Brush truck narrative, I know I thought it was pretty good, but since Tampa I'm confident its crap now.

Please dont kill me. I was young an foolish then.
    Lots of things have changed from Tampa! I spent a lot of time on a live fire simulator and now changed direction. One of which is a brush truck. Our '67 Willys open cab army truck needs replacement according to the chief. So I am looking for any ideas on a brush truck narrative.

Brian

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Clutchcargo1 View Post
    Lots of things have changed from Tampa! I spent a lot of time on a live fire simulator and now changed direction. One of which is a brush truck. Our '67 Willys open cab army truck needs replacement according to the chief. So I am looking for any ideas on a brush truck narrative.

Brian
    I mean its a decent narrative, but needs some things thrown out because it isn't any use to the peer reviewer. He doesn't need to know my town has recognized theaters and concert halls and other artsy fartsy crapola. Just list how many buisnesses and residential concerns by number and not by type. Also that maybe I shouldn't highlight that my population is only 148. More stuff to be thrown out as well.

Forum Member

Can someone send me a narrative for this quick attack? I am new to this...kind of getting thrown into it! Anyway, our department needs a new rescue truck...DESPERATELY! As a matter of fact up until a few months ago, you had to put blocks around the tires to ensure it wouldn't roll off! Anyway, since we are rural I know those chances are that of a snowball in well...I like the idea of using this quick attack as means to remedy the problem and bring about added support to the fleet with the extra pumper!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile Help

Anyone out there in narrative land?? I REALLY need help with a brush/quick attack narrative. Anyone have a winning narrative out there?? I do have winning ops/safety grants if you're looking for a trade. Thanks in advance!! mcfdrichey@gmail.com

Forum Member

I am as well looking a narrative for an brush/attack vechile. Right now we have two dnr trucks an 1985,1986 that we use for grass fires. we average 3-5 grass fires a year, a rural dept. with 35sq miles. we also have an 86 step van that we would get rid of with an brush/attack truck. anyone with ideas please send them my way.THANKS.

summer2snow@yahoo.com

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 First 123

Thread Information