Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Forum Member

Default 2010 Brush/Attack Question

Under priority 1 vehicle acquisitions for rural communities there is a listing for Brush/Attack. What are the specific requirements for Brush/Attack. Mainly pump size? tank capacity? Also have volunteer departments been successful in getting grants for Brush/Attack?

MembersZone Subscriber

You're going to have to figure out whether you want an NFPA 1906 or 1901 compliant quick-attack. I'd recommend a serious look at 1906, as it has less equipment included with the requirement.

Yes vollie have been successful, we got one in '07 and I know of numerous other departments that have been successful with them.

What exactly are you envisioning? That may help guide you into which standard you need.

Forum Member

We got one last year. We are volunteer. It was quick attack/mini pumper.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    You're going to have to figure out whether you want an NFPA 1906 or 1901 compliant quick-attack. I'd recommend a serious look at 1906, as it has less equipment included with the requirement.

Yes vollie have been successful, we got one in '07 and I know of numerous other departments that have been successful with them.

What exactly are you envisioning? That may help guide you into which standard you need.
    Currently we do not have a grass rig and our first responder rig is a 20 year old ambulance, we spent more on repairs this year than what we paid for it. So what I was thinking is a truck that could handle the grass rig calls but also have our medical supplies for first responder calls and maybe with enough space our extrication equipment. I've search the older forum posts and came across some trucks like that.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by AFDRAS View Post
    Currently we do not have a grass rig and our first responder rig is a 20 year old ambulance, we spent more on repairs this year than what we paid for it. So what I was thinking is a truck that could handle the grass rig calls but also have our medical supplies for first responder calls and maybe with enough space our extrication equipment. I've search the older forum posts and came across some trucks like that.
    If you want it, drop me a PM or something with your email address and I'll send you a copy of the grant I wrote for ours. You sound like you're trying to accmoplish something similar to what we were trying to do (and did).

Forum Member

Yeah, I'll share mine though it hasn't been awarded,,, yet. I thought it was my best written narrative by far. If your interested shoot me an email. jam24u@windstream.net

MembersZone Subscriber

And that would be a brush truck, not a rescue unit, equipped with high utility box sides on it now would it not?
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780 View Post
    And that would be a brush truck, not a rescue unit, equipped with high utility box sides on it now would it not?
    That is what I was thinking, a brush/attack unit with enough storage for medical and extrication gear.

Forum Member

They say great minds think alike, iam pondering on a quick attack also. Catch22 or any others could i get a copy of yalls grant. All the help would be greatly appreciated. williams_sy@hotmail.com

thanks

Forum Member

I have been reading NFPA 1906 all evening and am having issues with pump size. I am seeing a minimum pump size, but it doesn't spell out a maximum. In their charts, they go up to 500 gpm. Is it allowable to go with a 750 gpm pump, or is 500 gpm the maximum? I hate trying to make sense out of nfpa documents!!! Also, does anyone have a list of requirements and equipment for NFPA 1906 as compared to NFPA 1901? Thank you for your help.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by imafireman View Post
    I have been reading NFPA 1906 all evening and am having issues with pump size. I am seeing a minimum pump size, but it doesn't spell out a maximum. In their charts, they go up to 500 gpm. Is it allowable to go with a 750 gpm pump, or is 500 gpm the maximum? I hate trying to make sense out of nfpa documents!!! Also, does anyone have a list of requirements and equipment for NFPA 1906 as compared to NFPA 1901? Thank you for your help.
    Keep in mind the cieling on these has been around $125K. When you start looking at putting a 750 gpm pump on there, you're talking a midship or BIG motor-driven pump, which is going to increase the costs dramatically. You're also getting into something more of a mini-pumper and will be wanting to push into 1901.

Also are are you going to be having evaluators asking "if this guy needs that big of a pump, why doesn't he ask for a pumper?"

I think I'd rather try to argue more cost into the truck for CAFS than I would for that big of a pump.

Forum Member

Kelly already got his award ($125,000/$118,750) so I don't think he's trying to argue the money at this point. But I agree, 500gpm should be just fine on a Quick Attack.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SLY4420 View Post
    Kelly already got his award ($125,000/$118,750) so I don't think he's trying to argue the money at this point. But I agree, 500gpm should be just fine on a Quick Attack.
    OK, I see now. I forgot he already got it. Too much posting with not enough sleep lately.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    OK, I see now. I forgot he already got it. Too much posting with not enough sleep lately.
    And I am sitting here screaming at the damn weather Gods looking at this white precipitation , once again, chasing me across the US wherever I go. Can't a guy catch a break at all! 2 inches and still snowing, hello Toledo looks like you may be home for a day or so for me.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Talking

And I am sitting here screaming at the damn weather Gods looking at this white precipitation , once again, chasing me across the US wherever I go. Can't a guy catch a break at all! 2 inches and still snowing, hello Toledo looks like you may be home for a day or so for me.
    The legend of the ICEMAN holds true :-}
    See Kurt : It really is you causing it

Forum Member

illinois, and finally about to start construction

kurt the answer to global warming

Forum Member

Kurt, thanks for staying north, we were in the 60's yesterday and got to clean all of the salt off our vehicles. To those of you in Toledo, Please keep Kurt up there till spring.....

Forum Member

500gpm is the max on attack under 1906 since if it goes above that it falls under mini-pumper or wildland urban interface which will be 1901. Plus like the others mentioned to get that high you need a bigger chassis and whatnot to run it.

I need to stay east of Kurt, that storm out west was trying to get to Ohio so quickly that it ran over KC a day early. First late flight I've had in 3 years, knock on wood.

And yes, this is my first posting. They couldn't meld the two logins I had between here and the Blog account that was created so I could do that so keeping the username for the forums was the better option. Details.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    500gpm is the max on attack under 1906 since if it goes above that it falls under mini-pumper or wildland urban interface which will be 1901. Plus like the others mentioned to get that high you need a bigger chassis and whatnot to run it.

I need to stay east of Kurt, that storm out west was trying to get to Ohio so quickly that it ran over KC a day early. First late flight I've had in 3 years, knock on wood.

And yes, this is my first posting. They couldn't meld the two logins I had between here and the Blog account that was created so I could do that so keeping the username for the forums was the better option. Details.
    Thank you Brian. I wondered who the rookie was that stole your identity!! I do appreciate the information. I am trying to get all of our ducks in a row so our committee doesn't start asking for things that aren't allowed.

They were calling for a bunch of precip around here at the end of last week, but with Kurt being in Ohio, I believe it is going to drop most of it over there. Glad he didnt decide to fly out of PA this time.

Thanks again for all the help everyone.

Kelly
    Last edited by imafireman; 02-22-2010 at 12:37 PM.

Forum Member

And yes, this is my first posting.
    Welcome to the forums! There is a lot of good information here and we hope that we can help you out when it comes to grant education!

MembersZone Subscriber

And yes, this is my first posting.
    Durn Newbie!

Forum Member

Hey Kurt are still in Toledo? If so, let me know where, I'm just about 5-10 minutes north of Toledo. Maybee we get a drink if my wife will let me out of the house.

Forum Member

Could be worse, could have a "newbie" marker next to my username or something. Kind of like the nice Scotchlite "R" that's on my helmet that I have to scrape off since that's all they had when I got my gear last week. Might just scrape one off just to confuse people.

Forum Member

Could be worse, could have a "newbie" marker next to my username or something.
    You do.

Forum Member

Red face

Could be worse, could have a "newbie" marker next to my username or something. Kind of like the nice Scotchlite "R" that's on my helmet that I have to scrape off since that's all they had when I got my gear last week. Might just scrape one off just to confuse people.
    How about 'medstudent number 2'

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information