MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default I Do What My Dad Tells Me

Ya. Thats a good defence. NOT!

B.C. man guilty in murder of runaway teen; Victoria father to stand trial next

Co-accused father awaits trial

Canwest News Service February 17, 2010 10:16 AM

CHILLIWACK, B.C. A 24-year-old B.C. man has been found guilty of first-degree murder in the death of a 14-year-old runaway foster child a crime he was accused of committing with his father.

Dustin Moir was sentenced Tuesday night to life in prison with no chance of parole for 25 years for the 2005 death of Chelsey Acorn, a teenage girl who ran away from a Fraser Valley group home.

Moir's father, 56-year-old Jesse West, faces the same charge but will stand trial separately at a later date.

The teen disappeared in June 2005 and her body was found in April 2006 by two hikers in a shallow grave in a remote spot off the Coquihalla Highway, about 19 kilometres north of Hope, B.C.

Moir and West, a long-distance trucker, were arrested in 2007. Police said Moir sometimes accompanied his father on long-distance truck trips across British Columbia and Alberta.

The prosecution argued the pair planned to kill Chelsey, with whom they had a sexual relationship, when they took her to a campsite, strangled her, buried her body and covered it with rocks.

Last week, Moir took the stand and pointed the finger of blame for the crime directly at his father, telling Chilliwack Supreme Court: "I do what my dad tells me."

Court heard that Moir and the victim had dated, but the young man denied it.

Moir told an undercover officer the father-and-son pair set up a tent, put Chelsey inside with a beer and dug a hole.

West then began to massage Chelsey's neck but eventually began to choke her, Moir testified in court, adding that he had to finish the job. The pair placed the girl's body in the hole, and Moir threw a large rock on her head, he said.

Chelsey's cause of death was officially deemed "blunt-force trauma to the head and face."

Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information