MembersZone Subscriber

20 minutes North of Cooperstown, NY/ Baseball Hall of Fame

Question Mini Pumper Specs

For the past 6 months or so, I have been trying to get a quote for a Mini Pumper for my 2010 AFG application. We are looking for a 4x4 two door cab and chassis, 750 gpm mid ship pump and rescue body for what we call our station 1. After looking at our needs we found that this truck needs to be able to pull up and be able to fight fire as possibly first truck on the scene to many of our homes that are off the beaten path, also be able to be set up at a fill sight to fill tankers ware our larger trucks cannot access. Grass and brush fires, also that our larger trucks cannot access. The list of possible uses seems to be endless!! Seems easy enough right? Here is the kicker that so far the engineers seem to be stumbling over. The doors to our station are only 9-11 wide x 8 tall with no hope of making bigger. The fear I have is we are going to end up custom building a truck that is going to price it right out of our grasp as far as cost benefit goes.
    Does anybody hear have any thoughts?

Forum Member

$135,000 is the maximum allowable funding for a Quick Attack through AFG if that helps you make your decision.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SLY4420 View Post
    $135,000 is the maximum allowable funding for a Quick Attack through AFG if that helps you make your decision.
    Jcont, throw the 23% extra towrads it and you have project that is right at $165K you should be able to get what you need at that price.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

20 minutes North of Cooperstown, NY/ Baseball Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780 View Post
    Jcont, throw the 23% extra towrads it and you have project that is right at $165K you should be able to get what you need at that price.
    Already planning on selling the 23% idea to the commissioners. I guess I was just thinking alodu on the key board about the concern of getting the truck we need through such a small opening and the cost of it. with such a small call folume (64 last year) and population of 767
    Last edited by rjcont; 02-17-2010 at 08:00 PM.

Forum Member

This made me return to something I was thinking about. For us low call volume rural departments, how would making an application for a used vehicle vary from an application for a new one?

How would AFG set pricing limits on one? By year? Would it require more information to address the price costs? Has anyone here made an application for a used vehicle?

Just curious.

I don't want to go back and look at the PG since I'm gonna be spending some time with it here in a couple weeks anyway.

Forum Member

I had a client this year who was unable to meet the cost sharing requirements for a new vehicle at the time of the application. We applied in the used category, stating that if funding would allow or the opportunity presented itself, we would certainly purchase new...however due to their financial situation, it was impossible for them to apply for more than $475,000 (aerial). Replacing their 1974 with anything was the goal.

Awarded in Round 1.

Currently in the process of submitting an amendment as they have been able to locate a new vehicle in their price range.

Forum Member

Following on to Jam's point....

There are a lot of rural departments with small populations (2K or less) and low call volume (100 or less) with few brush calls at all...however, many of these departments protect 20+ sq. miles with lots of wildland.

If the department has an old brush truck 25+ years and an average fleet age of 20+ years, what's the likelihood of being successful with a brush truck app given the small population and low call volume?

Anybody have any experience here?

Thanks
    -dave

MembersZone Subscriber

Well we fit that desciption but with more call volume and so far we have been trying for 3 years with no luck yet. So any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by davepa View Post

There are a lot of rural departments with small populations (2K or less) and low call volume (100 or less) with few brush calls at all...however, many of these departments protect 20+ sq. miles with lots of wildland.

If the department has an old brush truck 25+ years and an average fleet age of 20+ years, what's the likelihood of being successful with a brush truck app given the small population and low call volume?

Thanks
    -dave
    That's me. I submitted an application for a new wildland/brush truck and felt it was the best application I've written. No movement on it and expecting a DJ in a couple weeks.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SLY4420 View Post
    I had a client this year who was unable to meet the cost sharing requirements for a new vehicle at the time of the application. We applied in the used category, stating that if funding would allow or the opportunity presented itself, we would certainly purchase new...however due to their financial situation, it was impossible for them to apply for more than $475,000 (aerial). Replacing their 1974 with anything was the goal.

Awarded in Round 1.

Currently in the process of submitting an amendment as they have been able to locate a new vehicle in their price range.
    So what was the amount they asked for? We need to discuss this more as an option for those low call volume, low budget departments.

What?, at the top of the narrative we say dept. xyz is making an application for a used 2005 pumper for $150,000. Would you have to have a truck in mind or leave the year out and wait for AFG to decide the year range and then go through the competitive bid process? Because frankly, I would sooner go for a late used vehicle if I knew it would increase my chances of award.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks
    -dave
    Depending on how you outfit the truck, you can expand your call volume. I requested a quick-attack with compartments enough to store our medical gear and some of our ISO service company equipment. When you have it responding to all of your medicals, rescues, brush fires, and structure fires, you start adding up the calls it's going to go on. When you add in mutual aid or medical helicopter LZ's and things like that, you tack on even more.

Forum Member

Thanks
    -dave
    We applied twice with very similar numbers and got the computer DJ both times. cost /benefit was too high. Third time we made it by the computer & halfway through the peer awards before getting the DJ. Gave up on that project and moved on to others.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jam24u View Post
    So what was the amount they asked for? We need to discuss this more as an option for those low call volume, low budget departments.

What?, at the top of the narrative we say dept. xyz is making an application for a used 2005 pumper for $150,000. Would you have to have a truck in mind or leave the year out and wait for AFG to decide the year range and then go through the competitive bid process? Because frankly, I would sooner go for a late used vehicle if I knew it would increase my chances of award.
    Requested $475,000. Obviously at the time, we had no idea if anything available at the time of submission would even be around during the award period, so stayed generic. "Looking to replace unsafe 1974 battleaxe with newer and safer vehicle in our price range. Will buy new if we can afford it; will buy something much better than we have now to our financial ability."

Something to that effect.

MembersZone Subscriber

Folks when trying to beat "big blue" you have to work with the numbers and you can't change your population or your call volume; you have no influence here, the numbers are, what the numbers are! The only number you can influence is the "cost of the project". Sly took that approach and or using an overmatch of 23% also works quite well.Remember that the primary function of a reviewer is to "fund as many departments as you can with available funding". If 5 departments save them $25K on their applications each, that is another truck they get to award.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Kurt,

I agree that the #'s are the #'s. The question still remains....given the small population and the low call volume, is it possible (even after putting an extra 23% match in the pot) to receive an award to replace a 25+ year old brush truck?

-dave

MembersZone Subscriber

Kurt,

I agree that the #'s are the #'s. The question still remains....given the small population and the low call volume, is it possible (even after putting an extra 23% match in the pot) to receive an award to replace a 25+ year old brush truck?

-dave
    Sure, I do it all the time! If you don't play , you can't get paid! Nothing is a guarantee, you do the best you can but, you make sure you try to stack the deck in your own favor as much as you can.
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

Can you get a 750GPM on a mini? I thought it was capped at 500 GPM pump for quick attack trucks?

Thread Information