Forum Member

Default scba communication use

anyone have the radio interface links for your packs? we are testing isi-draeger-msa-and scott with this feature was wondering pros, and cons of each. are practical they are? some of them look and sound good from the reps but not sure. we are doing a demo training on them soon so that might answer some questions but that is only going to be a 2hr test wanted to know how they are in the real world.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have been using the TALK-AROUND® Communication System for several years. It works very well. The only down side I have seen is the data cable between the portable radio and the TALK-AROUND® Communication System . It is very delicate and the plugs are easily damaged. With that said I would not want my crew to be without them. It give you a private channel for your crew and a "Mic in mask" capability for the fire fighters with portable radios.
    Our officers have the 4 channel model, able to interface with the portable and the fire fighters have the 2 channel model that can only talk with in the group or fire ground.
    Battery life is about 8 hour on a change of 3 AAA batteries.

Forum Member

Default scott 75

the new ones have bluetooth for communications. sounds sweet just not sure how it works yet? thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by michtfd View Post
    the new ones have bluetooth for communications. sounds sweet just not sure how it works yet? thanks.
    I want one.

Forum Member

Default scott pak

when the rep told us they had bluetooth, everyone started to laugh at me. im the tech geek, i like gadgets. so its the big joke around the station now about me wearing my pak to work, and other places!!??!! communications is one of my worries, not everyone has a radio, and if they do they arent using it.

Forum Member

We're using Survivair Panthers with the radio interface system. The communication works well, but just like the post above about another system, the radio/facepiece interface cable is kind of a weak spot; the radio end is pretty fragile. That may be a function of the type of radio we are using it with - it's one of those connectors with pins that is clamped to the side of the radio with the connector. The other downside is the cost of the cables; if I remember correctly, they ran well over $400 each, and that was a number of years ago.

MembersZone Subscriber

Might not be exactly what you're looking for, but we use the voice amplifiers on our Scott masks. Work pretty well for talking into the radio as well as talking to your crew.
    FTM-PTB-RFB
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by fyrmnk View Post
    Might not be exactly what you're looking for, but we use the voice amplifiers on our Scott masks. Work pretty well for talking into the radio as well as talking to your crew.
    Yup, us too. Works wonderfully.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Has any one Ever had any Luck with throat Mic's?
    Courage, Being Scared to Death and Saddling Up anyways.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    Has any one Ever had any Luck with throat Mic's?
    We used a Motorola brand throat mic on the swat team when I was a deputy. It sucked for me because of my double chin, always pinched my skin but it was a clear broadcast just like a hand mic. Kind of a pain with the cord to plug into the radio on your chest and tucking the cords in a place where they won't get snagged on something. It had it's place and worked ok for when we needed to be stealthy.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    We used a Motorola brand throat mic on the swat team when I was a deputy. It sucked for me because of my double chin, always pinched my skin but it was a clear broadcast just like a hand mic. Kind of a pain with the cord to plug into the radio on your chest and tucking the cords in a place where they won't get snagged on something. It had it's place and worked ok for when we needed to be stealthy.
    How was it with Ambient Noise? I need Something to stop/slow or eliminate it completely.
    Courage, Being Scared to Death and Saddling Up anyways.

MembersZone Subscriber

We use the MSA interface system, and when it is working it is wonderful. I really like it. The one problem I have experienced with it was in a fire when we were suddenly faced with high heat conditions that drove us off of the fire floor. I lost all ability to hear and communicate with the device. I had to unplug from my spike mike in order to hear and talk. This would not be a big deal, but it was also the closest I have ever come to calling a mayday, I got stuck in one of them blasted walk-in closets for the longest 15 -20 seconds of my life. I know a few of the other guys have had the same issue, but we have been using them for about 6 or 7 years now, and I don't think the numbers are all that alarming, considering how many times they have proven their worth to us.
    As far as the throat mikes go, we used them when I was in hazmat, and I thought they looked a lot cooler than they actually worked. Maybe the police departments spend more on them than we did though, so who knows. You have to remember, low bid wins.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    How was it with Ambient Noise? I need Something to stop/slow or eliminate it completely.
    They were ok, but you could still pick up background noise. I don't think you can totally get rid of ambient noise without a noise cancelling microphone. Those can be spendy and dangerous if a voice is not strong enough to break through the noise filter. A firefighter down who can only whisper probably wouldn't make enough modulation to clear the filter.

It allowed as much ambient noise like any other hand mike or radio without a handmike.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Thread Information