Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Exclamation I Think The Fine Should Be Higher

Police says Island drivers ignoring emergency vehicle law

Times Colonist February 18, 2010 6:54 AM

Times Colonist RCMP are frustrated that nine months after a new law came into effect requiring drivers to slow down and move over when passing stopped emergency vehicles, many drivers are failing to heed the rule, and three police officers were almost hit as a result.

Sidney/North Saanich RCMP spokesman Cpl. Chris Swain said on Jan. 22, a car sideswiped a Campbell River RCMP cruiser and narrowly missed the officer, who was talking to a motorist he had pulled over.

In the next week, two Sidney/North Saanich officers experienced similar near misses while stopped on the shoulder, including one incident where the cruiser's driver side mirror was taken off by a car that failed to move over.

Yesterday, police were doling out tickets to drivers to hammer the message home.

Sidney/North Saanich RCMP officers set up a blitz on the Pat Bay Highway just north of McTavish Road yesterday morning and gave out 30 tickets, Swain said. The maximum fine is $148 and three demerit points.

The legislation came in effect June 1, 2009, and requires that drivers slow down -- to 70 kilometres an hour on the highway and 40 kilometres an hour in areas where the limit is below 80 kilometres -- when passing an emergency vehicle with flashing lights, including police, fire, ambulance and tow trucks. Drivers are also supposed to pull into the next lane if it's safe.

© Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    Police says Island drivers ignoring emergency vehicle law

Times Colonist February 18, 2010 6:54 AM

The legislation came in effect June 1, 2009, and requires that drivers slow down -- to 70 kilometres an hour on the highway and 40 kilometres an hour in areas where the limit is below 80 kilometres -- when passing an emergency vehicle with flashing lights, including police, fire, ambulance and tow trucks. Drivers are also supposed to pull into the next lane if it's safe.

© Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist

For those who are mathmatically challenged - that equals about 43mph and 24mph respectively.

As for the fine, I feel it should be more - AND if there is any damage done the license should be REVOKED or at least suspended, not just 3 points assessed (with the small fine).

Question - does Canada tack on all kinds of administrative fees like NY does? A $50 ticket here can end up costing a couple hundred when all is said and done.....

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

They do here in Ontario anyhow - taxes I mean. I got tagged with a "red light" a year ago, for 150.00, it turned into almost 180.00 by the time I was all paid up.

And 80kph is SUPPOSED to be 50mph.

Thread Information