Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinKnight View Post
    We have nozzle bores that are rifled. Helps maintain water spin and reduces water tumble. We do lose a little velocity but the accuracy is fantastic.
    LMAO You sir are crazy, When a you going to add a scope?

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinKnight View Post

Were we.... radical?

Maybe we were just ahead of our time.

I like the thought that we were ahead of our time. Unfortunately, the entrenched saw me and my ideas as radical.

How could we have ever known that water doesn't just reduce heat, it actually puts of fire. What a great thing we discovered there.

Yep, all without the added joy of unnecessary and painful steam burns.

I see you are hard of hearing too. I have been known to 'conveniently' not hear instructions.

I decided a long time ago when a Command officer almost got me killed at a barn fire that I don't have to follow an order that is more dangerous than it has to be (understanding entirely that this job is dangerous and every action has inherent risk) or that is just plain stupid. I will take punishment before dying needlessly from a stupid order.

Did I mention that some Company Officers are over-rated?

The sad fact is that the only thing some officers know is how to become an officer. Once they get the position they haven't a single clue how to actually lead, instruct or in some cases do the job of firefighting in the first place.
    Smooth bore or straight stream from a combination nozzle, the first choice for interior attack.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Quote Originally Posted by Itshotinhere
    LMAO You sir are crazy, When a you going to add a scope?
    Well we did add a scope but this guy named PAT PENDING showed up and made us take it off.

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp
    The sad fact is that the only thing some officers know is how to become an officer. Once they get the position they haven't a single clue how to actually lead, instruct or in some cases do the job of firefighting in the first place.
    Did Copy! This seems to be caused by a huge amount of unstable hot air that is released from the upper chest region, through the neck and into the skull, which causes swelling in the frontal lobe and between the ears. Some experts have reported this as sounding like a loud sucking sound.

If subject is not treated early, he is prone to fall on his tush... eventually.

Other documented 'severe' cases report black & blue brusing on or about the head and face, broken noses (most likely caused by a rapid release of hot air through the nasal passages), and missing teeth (mostly attributed to subject tripping over their own feet as if losing all coordination.)

Advice to Company Officers: Respect your people. Remember... you are there to serve them... not the other way around.
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Forum Member

We were told the same thing in FF1 but all my instructors had 10 or more years in the FDNY they all said thats stupid Smooth Bore's all the way

Quote Originally Posted by Harris543 View Post
    We were told the same thing in FF1 but all my instructors had 10 or more years in the FDNY they all said thats stupid Smooth Bore's all the way
    So smooth bores are stupid now?

Once again, I pose the question that no one has yet answered....

Has anyone on here, been caught in, or been caught in near-flashover conditions, when advancing a line on an interior attack with a smooth bore nozzle?????
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

The sound of the crickets chirping is enormous.

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    So smooth bores are stupid now?

Has anyone on here, been caught in, or been caught in near-flashover conditions, when advancing a line on an interior attack with a smooth bore nozzle?????
    I read his comment as the right to live left to die as being stupid. use smooth bores all the way.

No. I have never been caught in, or been caught in near-flashover conditions, when advancing a line on an interior attack with a smooth bore nozzle.

And to add also, No, I have never been caught in, or been caught in near-flashover conditions, when advancing a line on an interior attack with an adjustable nozzle.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    I read his comment as the right to live left to die as being stupid. use smooth bores all the way.
    Ahhhh upon further reflection I concur. My apologies to the poster. I should not be posting at 0530 when I am not fully awake.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post

I've never been caught with any type of nozzle.

Not for nothing, but there's really no reason anyone with experience should be caught in a flashover situation. More fire departments should focus more on reading conditions than they should debating on which nozzle they think is the best.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firegeek8096 View Post
    I remember being taught this simple saying back in recruit school regarding fog nozzle patterns. Turn the tip to the right for a straight stream to fight the fire, and turn the fog tip to the left when faced with a rapid fire event, giving you a "fog curtain," then back out of the building.

Why is this taught in the first place? It seems like a completely unrealistic tactic. If a crew is faced with a rapid fire event like flashover, we know that there is very little time to escape and most likely the hoseline will be abandoned immediately. Opening up a wide fog in this situation seems counter-productive and would only end in steaming the crew.

Not having been caught in a flashover myself, has anybody here experienced a flashover? If so, did you abandon the line or did you back out systematically with the magical fog curtain keeping you safe?
    I have been caught in a flashover. Because I am an aggressive firefighter, I went to the right with the nozzle. Due to the fact that we were all defensive (outside of the structure) when the flashover occured, we just backed up about 2 feet and continued our defensive position on the fire and eventually went interior. I would NEVER suggest using a fog on a flashover or interior period unless you are dealing with a small fire or a hot spot. Fog will be relatively unaffective on heavy fire. We often use fog on brush fires or smaller fires. If a flashover occurs while you are interior, get the hell out. If it happens close to your current position, drop the hose and run, but make sure that all of your fellow firefighters escape safely as well. We never leave a firemen/firewoman behind. Even if it's a 5th alarm in a 5 story and chief advises us not to go in. If one goes down, we all go in (including chief since he never lets us leave one behind). Back to the hose, yea, not a good idea to fog in a flashover/backdraft. Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter4life91 View Post
    I have been caught in a flashover. Because I am an aggressive firefighter, I went to the right with the nozzle. Due to the fact that we were all defensive (outside of the structure) when the flashover occured, we just backed up about 2 feet and continued our defensive position on the fire and eventually went interior. I would NEVER suggest using a fog on a flashover or interior period unless you are dealing with a small fire or a hot spot. Fog will be relatively unaffective on heavy fire. We often use fog on brush fires or smaller fires. If a flashover occurs while you are interior, get the hell out. If it happens close to your current position, drop the hose and run, but make sure that all of your fellow firefighters escape safely as well. We never leave a firemen/firewoman behind. Even if it's a 5th alarm in a 5 story and chief advises us not to go in. If one goes down, we all go in (including chief since he never lets us leave one behind). Back to the hose, yea, not a good idea to fog in a flashover/backdraft. Take care.
    That statement contradicts itself. You can't be caught IN a flashover if you were OUTSIDE the compartment that flashed.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down Whatever...

Finally someone to aspire to be! You're my hero.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    That statement contradicts itself. You can't be caught IN a flashover if you were OUTSIDE the compartment that flashed.
    he was aggressively attacking the fire from the outside.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    As my wording may not be the greatest, I think we all know what I meant lol. Thanks for pointing that out though. However, we were about to make entrance and had the entrance open to go in just before the flashover occured, yet I see your point. I guess I should say that I was ALMOST caught in a flashover lol.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    Finally someone to aspire to be! You're my hero.
    Im not sure if you are being sarcastic or not. Hopefully not. As you can imagine, its kinda hard to know the "tone" of text lol.
    Last edited by Firefighter4life91; 04-21-2010 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Typo

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    he was aggressively attacking the fire from the outside.
    I suppose you could say that. Allow me to rephrase. "I have experienced a flashover while on defensive, but very close to the structure entrance preparing to attempt an interior attack. Then the flashover occured and we were forced back about 2 feet from what was our current position."
    Better? Lol.
    Last edited by Firefighter4life91; 04-21-2010 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Yet another typo

The only time you should ever drop the nozzle and run.. is if you lose your water. Whichever type of nozzle you use really dosen't matter, but you have to stay in control of the nozzle.

Im not sure if you are being sarcastic or not. Hopefully not. As you can imagine, its kinda hard to know the "tone" of text lol.
    No, he was being serious. He really does want to be just like you. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Itshotinhere View Post
    The only time you should ever drop the nozzle and run.. is if you lose your water. Whichever type of nozzle you use really dosen't matter, but you have to stay in control of the nozzle.
    I agree with this. If you have a nozzle with water supplied to it, it would be stupid to leave it.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

MembersZone Subscriber

Having had the opportunity to speak to a few guys who have actually been intimate with a flashover inside a building, all the heroics of not leaving anyone behind and taking the nozzle seem to go out the window with your feet right behind them if you're lucky!

All the other "I'd never let it get that bad" and other arguments aside, once the event begins, we're talking about exiting the space under truly extreme conditions or die. In at least two cases, guys who I've heard speak and been able to speak to, noted that GET OUT NOW! was the prevailing thought, both were not unseasoned noobs in Smallville and both said that right after they found safety their next thoughts were for their partners, but not until then. We're not talking about the rollover event that every wannabe firefighters brags to their girl about, we're talking about an actual flashover!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    Having had the opportunity to speak to a few guys who have actually been intimate with a flashover inside a building, all the heroics of not leaving anyone behind and taking the nozzle seem to go out the window with your feet right behind them if you're lucky!

All the other "I'd never let it get that bad" and other arguments aside, once the event begins, we're talking about exiting the space under truly extreme conditions or die. In at least two cases, guys who I've heard speak and been able to speak to, noted that GET OUT NOW! was the prevailing thought, both were not unseasoned noobs in Smallville and both said that right after they found safety their next thoughts were for their partners, but not until then. We're not talking about the rollover event that every wannabe firefighters brags to their girl about, we're talking about an actual flashover!
    Of course "get out" is what you do unless you are stupid. I didnt say anything to "brag" or try to play hero. I dont see myself as a hero. Im just an average joe who fights fires like most all of us in this forum. You seem to be taking the things I say the wrong way. There is nothing wrong with "STATING" that you are an aggressive firefighter. It doesn't mean that I am some big shot hero. I know alot of aggressive firefighters as most of the guys at our FD are the same way. I am not by any means a wannabe. Thanks for your consistent insults to basically all of my posts thus far, but you can take them elsewhere. I apologize for thinking that this would be a cool, friendly place to share experiences etc. It amazes me how us firefighers are supposed to help people, yet some of us talk to much and end up doing the exact opposite. If you want to criticize, try being CONSTRUCTIVE about it and we would both get along ALOT better. I have made every attempt to be friendly so I would appreciate some of the same in return. Thanks and God Bless.

Thread Information