Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 First 123
  1. #51
    Forum Member
    GTRider245's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Augusta,GA
    Posts
    3,065

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter4life91 View Post
    I have been caught in a flashover. Because I am an aggressive firefighter, I went to the right with the nozzle. Due to the fact that we were all defensive (outside of the structure) when the flashover occured, we just backed up about 2 feet and continued our defensive position on the fire and eventually went interior. I would NEVER suggest using a fog on a flashover or interior period unless you are dealing with a small fire or a hot spot. Fog will be relatively unaffective on heavy fire. We often use fog on brush fires or smaller fires. If a flashover occurs while you are interior, get the hell out. If it happens close to your current position, drop the hose and run, but make sure that all of your fellow firefighters escape safely as well. We never leave a firemen/firewoman behind. Even if it's a 5th alarm in a 5 story and chief advises us not to go in. If one goes down, we all go in (including chief since he never lets us leave one behind). Back to the hose, yea, not a good idea to fog in a flashover/backdraft. Take care.
    That statement contradicts itself. You can't be caught IN a flashover if you were OUTSIDE the compartment that flashed.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

    -Professional in Either Role-

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

  2. #52
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Northeast Coast
    Posts
    3,908

    Thumbs down Whatever...

    Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter4life91 View Post
    I have been caught in a flashover. Because I am an aggressive firefighter, I went to the right with the nozzle. Due to the fact that we were all defensive (outside of the structure) when the flashover occured, we just backed up about 2 feet and continued our defensive position on the fire and eventually went interior. I would NEVER suggest using a fog on a flashover or interior period unless you are dealing with a small fire or a hot spot. Fog will be relatively unaffective on heavy fire. We often use fog on brush fires or smaller fires. If a flashover occurs while you are interior, get the hell out. If it happens close to your current position, drop the hose and run, but make sure that all of your fellow firefighters escape safely as well. We never leave a firemen/firewoman behind. Even if it's a 5th alarm in a 5 story and chief advises us not to go in. If one goes down, we all go in (including chief since he never lets us leave one behind). Back to the hose, yea, not a good idea to fog in a flashover/backdraft. Take care.
    Finally someone to aspire to be! You're my hero.

  3. #53
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,802

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    That statement contradicts itself. You can't be caught IN a flashover if you were OUTSIDE the compartment that flashed.
    he was aggressively attacking the fire from the outside.

  4. #54
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    That statement contradicts itself. You can't be caught IN a flashover if you were OUTSIDE the compartment that flashed.
    As my wording may not be the greatest, I think we all know what I meant lol. Thanks for pointing that out though. However, we were about to make entrance and had the entrance open to go in just before the flashover occured, yet I see your point. I guess I should say that I was ALMOST caught in a flashover lol.

  5. #55
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    Finally someone to aspire to be! You're my hero.
    Im not sure if you are being sarcastic or not. Hopefully not. As you can imagine, its kinda hard to know the "tone" of text lol.
    Last edited by Firefighter4life91; 04-21-2010 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Typo

  6. #56
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    he was aggressively attacking the fire from the outside.
    I suppose you could say that. Allow me to rephrase. "I have experienced a flashover while on defensive, but very close to the structure entrance preparing to attempt an interior attack. Then the flashover occured and we were forced back about 2 feet from what was our current position."
    Better? Lol.
    Last edited by Firefighter4life91; 04-21-2010 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Yet another typo

  7. #57
    Forum Member
    L-Webb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    520

    Default

    The only time you should ever drop the nozzle and run.. is if you lose your water. Whichever type of nozzle you use really dosen't matter, but you have to stay in control of the nozzle.

  8. #58
    Forum Member
    GTRider245's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Augusta,GA
    Posts
    3,065

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter4life91 View Post
    Im not sure if you are being sarcastic or not. Hopefully not. As you can imagine, its kinda hard to know the "tone" of text lol.
    No, he was being serious. He really does want to be just like you. Wow.

    Quote Originally Posted by Itshotinhere View Post
    The only time you should ever drop the nozzle and run.. is if you lose your water. Whichever type of nozzle you use really dosen't matter, but you have to stay in control of the nozzle.
    I agree with this. If you have a nozzle with water supplied to it, it would be stupid to leave it.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

    -Professional in Either Role-

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

  9. #59
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Northeast Coast
    Posts
    3,908

    Default

    Having had the opportunity to speak to a few guys who have actually been intimate with a flashover inside a building, all the heroics of not leaving anyone behind and taking the nozzle seem to go out the window with your feet right behind them if you're lucky!

    All the other "I'd never let it get that bad" and other arguments aside, once the event begins, we're talking about exiting the space under truly extreme conditions or die. In at least two cases, guys who I've heard speak and been able to speak to, noted that GET OUT NOW! was the prevailing thought, both were not unseasoned noobs in Smallville and both said that right after they found safety their next thoughts were for their partners, but not until then. We're not talking about the rollover event that every wannabe firefighters brags to their girl about, we're talking about an actual flashover!

  10. #60
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    Having had the opportunity to speak to a few guys who have actually been intimate with a flashover inside a building, all the heroics of not leaving anyone behind and taking the nozzle seem to go out the window with your feet right behind them if you're lucky!

    All the other "I'd never let it get that bad" and other arguments aside, once the event begins, we're talking about exiting the space under truly extreme conditions or die. In at least two cases, guys who I've heard speak and been able to speak to, noted that GET OUT NOW! was the prevailing thought, both were not unseasoned noobs in Smallville and both said that right after they found safety their next thoughts were for their partners, but not until then. We're not talking about the rollover event that every wannabe firefighters brags to their girl about, we're talking about an actual flashover!
    Of course "get out" is what you do unless you are stupid. I didnt say anything to "brag" or try to play hero. I dont see myself as a hero. Im just an average joe who fights fires like most all of us in this forum. You seem to be taking the things I say the wrong way. There is nothing wrong with "STATING" that you are an aggressive firefighter. It doesn't mean that I am some big shot hero. I know alot of aggressive firefighters as most of the guys at our FD are the same way. I am not by any means a wannabe. Thanks for your consistent insults to basically all of my posts thus far, but you can take them elsewhere. I apologize for thinking that this would be a cool, friendly place to share experiences etc. It amazes me how us firefighers are supposed to help people, yet some of us talk to much and end up doing the exact opposite. If you want to criticize, try being CONSTRUCTIVE about it and we would both get along ALOT better. I have made every attempt to be friendly so I would appreciate some of the same in return. Thanks and God Bless.

  11. #61
    Forum Member
    L-Webb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    520

    Default

    Yeah and to add to that, I was not implying that you have to make sure that the nozzle comes with with you. If you are on the knob it is your job to control the the fire as well as you can by whichever method works for you till your crew is safe. This means keeping control of the nozzle. Thanks

  12. #62
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    West Point, VA
    Posts
    435

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter4life91 View Post
    Thanks for your consistent insults to basically all of my posts thus far, but you can take them elsewhere. I apologize for thinking that this would be a cool, friendly place to share experiences etc. It amazes me how us firefighers are supposed to help people, yet some of us talk to much and end up doing the exact opposite. If you want to criticize, try being CONSTRUCTIVE about it and we would both get along ALOT better. I have made every attempt to be friendly so I would appreciate some of the same in return.
    Ever been to a firehouse?

  13. #63
    Forum Member
    GTRider245's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Augusta,GA
    Posts
    3,065

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spencer534 View Post
    Ever been to a firehouse?
    No kidding. He sure wouldn't last long around here.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

    -Professional in Either Role-

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

  14. #64
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spencer534 View Post
    Ever been to a firehouse?
    Yes, of course. The typical jokes go around along with the sarcasm. However, there is a tiny bit of difference between sarcasm / joking and being a flat out jerk about some things. Trust me when I say that the guys and gals at Salem have fun too. When I first started, they tried to tell me to go get the keys to W-8 (Wagon 8), but they failed because I know that they all are "push to start" lol. The Probie jokes and such are fun and I get a kick out of them. However, when some random dude that I just met through the internet wants to be a jerk (not in a joking way), its a little bit different for me. Thats why. Hope that clears up what I meant.
    Last edited by Firefighter4life91; 05-12-2010 at 11:02 PM.

  15. #65
    Forum Member
    Rescue101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Bridgton,Me USA
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    We use a slightly different saying: "Right is RIGHT, Left for Lobster!"
    And you're NEVER there ANYWAY. T.C.

  16. #66
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Northeast Coast
    Posts
    3,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    And you're NEVER there ANYWAY. T.C.
    Huh? Lost me on that one Bro.

  17. #67
    Forum Member
    Rescue101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Bridgton,Me USA
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    I was thinking Lobsterfest NOT left to BOIL. And you're NEVER there for Lobsterfest. Make more sense now?

  18. #68
    MembersZone Subscriber
    CalvertFD168's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Calvert, Texas
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simpleguy68 View Post
    We teach the "Left for Life, Right for Reach" at the Overhead Storage Project at Livingston Fire School. When fighting a petroleum fire, the fog pattern will definitely keep the fire off of you if conditions rapidly deteriorate and you have to make a strategic retreat.
    Ah... another "Hell Hole" survivor.........
    “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
    —John 14:6

    "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,"
    —Romans 3:23

  19. #69
    MembersZone Subscriber
    CalvertFD168's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Calvert, Texas
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter4life91 View Post
    I have been caught in a flashover. Because I am an aggressive firefighter, I went to the right with the nozzle. Due to the fact that we were all defensive (outside of the structure) when the flashover occured, we just backed up about 2 feet and continued our defensive position on the fire and eventually went interior. I would NEVER suggest using a fog on a flashover or interior period unless you are dealing with a small fire or a hot spot. Fog will be relatively unaffective on heavy fire. We often use fog on brush fires or smaller fires. If a flashover occurs while you are interior, get the hell out. If it happens close to your current position, drop the hose and run, but make sure that all of your fellow firefighters escape safely as well. We never leave a firemen/firewoman behind. Even if it's a 5th alarm in a 5 story and chief advises us not to go in. If one goes down, we all go in (including chief since he never lets us leave one behind). Back to the hose, yea, not a good idea to fog in a flashover/backdraft. Take care.


    I am not trying to insult you Brother... let me get that clear from the start... However by your logic I am also a flashover survivor... we were advancing a hoseline down the hall of a small (under 700sqft) house(READ: Crackshack) and the room of origin flashed right ahead of us as we were about to make the turn into it and attack. The heat jumped up from "hot" to "OH $hit" and the fire rolled over our heads and down the hall. (The guys outside actually said it rolled all the way out the front door). We went on and made a good knockdown from the hall and advanced for overhaul...

    Now.. that story told, I have never described myself as a "flashover survivor", just as a Brother that had a damn good first hand look at one, and very lucky we did not get there say.. 30 seconds earlier...

    Like I said before Brother.. I am not trying to insult you.. and I was not there to see what you saw... but in MY HUMBLE OPINION.. you have to actually be in the same room or space of a flashover to consider yourself a "flashover survivor"..........

    Just my opinion... that and $4.98 will get you a 6pack of Lone Star..........
    “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
    —John 14:6

    "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,"
    —Romans 3:23

  20. #70
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    42

    Smile None Taken

    Quote Originally Posted by CalvertFD168 View Post
    I am not trying to insult you Brother... let me get that clear from the start... However by your logic I am also a flashover survivor... we were advancing a hoseline down the hall of a small (under 700sqft) house(READ: Crackshack) and the room of origin flashed right ahead of us as we were about to make the turn into it and attack. The heat jumped up from "hot" to "OH $hit" and the fire rolled over our heads and down the hall. (The guys outside actually said it rolled all the way out the front door). We went on and made a good knockdown from the hall and advanced for overhaul...

    Now.. that story told, I have never described myself as a "flashover survivor", just as a Brother that had a damn good first hand look at one, and very lucky we did not get there say.. 30 seconds earlier...

    Like I said before Brother.. I am not trying to insult you.. and I was not there to see what you saw... but in MY HUMBLE OPINION.. you have to actually be in the same room or space of a flashover to consider yourself a "flashover survivor"..........

    Just my opinion... that and $4.98 will get you a 6pack of Lone Star..........
    No insults taken, bro. You are right. I will rephrase and say that I have witnessed a flashover and have been very close to one. They are fun to watch if you are outside, but if you are inside when it happens, its not so much fun lol. I would rather be close to a flashover than be close to a backdraft. A flashover occurs when all items in a contained space ignite at the same time and cause a sudden flash of heat and flames that often causes massive extension to other areas because the fire wants more Oxygen and will find the nearest source. A backdraft on the other hand, occurs when the fire has little to no Oxygen and in some cases may have burnt itself out. However, as soon as Oxygen is re-introduced to the fire, Kaboom!! A backdraft in my opinion, is more dangerous than a flashover since we are talking flames rolling around and flaring up (flashover) vs a sudden combustion / explosion of heat (backdraft). I would take the flashover over a backdraft any day lol.
    Last edited by Firefighter4life91; 05-14-2010 at 11:39 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 First 123

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Water Rescue fines left unpaid
    By SAFD46Truck in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-19-2005, 04:16 PM
  2. Who and what is left?
    By timm1960 in forum Federal FIRE ACT Grants & Funding
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-22-2004, 02:45 PM
  3. Right Side, Left Side, Wrong Side Driving
    By BryanLoader in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-10-2003, 08:52 AM
  4. Hudson, NY- 39 left homeless
    By NJFFSA16 in forum Fire Wire
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-06-2003, 11:26 PM
  5. Discarded ashes spark blaze, family left homeless
    By dfdex1 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-12-2002, 08:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register