Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Firefighting Research Paper (School)

For school I need to write a research paper for the career field I am going into. It has to be something in the firefighting field and has to have and issue with it. Seeing as I have no real experiece I was wondering what you guys think...example, (don't know if this is a real isue or not but) Long term health hazzard to firefighters or Problems with current tools or supplies. a sentence or two explanation along with what you had in mind would be helpful.

Thank you

MembersZone Subscriber

I think you might get a few more relevant replies if we had a little more information. What level of school is this (high school, college, fire science, etc)? How long does the paper need to be (some topics can be covered in 3-5 pages, others can be extended to 20+ if needed).

Here are some possible ideas off the top of my head (these are not my opinions, just topics that a paper could be written about):
    - Does the reduction in response time justify the liability of emergency driving with lights and sirens?
    - Something about budget reductions and staffing engines with 3 vs 4 or 5 FF.
    - How long after the fire is out should we wear our air packs?

You can also check the IAFF's website for current hot topics, but many may be more political than you want to write a research paper about, depending on the level.

Thanks for the response..I am in a fire protection program (college), the paper needs to be 6-8 pages double spaced.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by zzyyzx View Post
    I think you might get a few more relevant replies if we had a little more information. What level of school is this (high school, college, fire science, etc)? How long does the paper need to be (some topics can be covered in 3-5 pages, others can be extended to 20+ if needed).

Here are some possible ideas off the top of my head (these are not my opinions, just topics that a paper could be written about):
    - Does the reduction in response time justify the liability of emergency driving with lights and sirens?
    - Something about budget reductions and staffing engines with 3 vs 4 or 5 FF.
    - How long after the fire is out should we wear our air packs?

You can also check the IAFF's website for current hot topics, but many may be more political than you want to write a research paper about, depending on the level.
    If the fire is out then there is no smoke. No smoke no IDLH. How many times do you see guys doing overhaul without a pack? Crazy.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane21 View Post
    For school I need to write a research paper for the career field I am going into. It has to be something in the firefighting field and has to have and issue with it. Seeing as I have no real experiece I was wondering what you guys think...example, (don't know if this is a real isue or not but) Long term health hazzard to firefighters or Problems with current tools or supplies. a sentence or two explanation along with what you had in mind would be helpful.

Thank you
    According to your profile you are 22, I'm hoping you are not in high school.

How about a paper on determining the optimum staffing level and location of stations within a city. You could base this on the likelihood of there being a fire, take into consideration the age and construction of the buildings, the population, and the people that make up that population.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    If the fire is out then there is no smoke. No smoke no IDLH. How many times do you see guys doing overhaul without a pack? Crazy.
    Crazy? I guess you haven't seen the research out there about the out-gassing from burned materials. CO, Hydrogen Cyanide, Hydrogen Chloride and numerous other deadly by-products are produced at harmful levels up to HOURS after the smoke is gone. Until the air is declared safe through an appropriate device that detects harmful levels of contaminants in the air, every personnel directly in the fireground should be packed up.

If a dept doesn't have a policy requiring this, they are leaving themselves liable for many medical conditions that can be prevented. Minor things like headaches the day after a big fire (CO) to serious life-threatening diseases like cancer.

No smoke no IDLH... now THAT'S not just crazy, it's ridiculous!

First lesson; Please ignore this yard breather... that might be giving a little more credit than this organism deserves.

Topics that would interest more research might include;

-The loss of firefighting experience as baby-boomers retire, leaving a younger Generation X and Tech-kids to inherit a fire service where they see less fires, less often gaining only a quarter of the real world experience and how that affects firefighter safety.

-How the number of line of duty deaths remains steady around 100 deaths a year, with the knowledge that there are less fires each year.

-How political interest groups have defeated numerous residential sprinkler laws.

Good luck with your studies.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Good God man, are you really this incredibly, dangerously, ignorant? We don't remove SCBA until the atmosphere has been monitored for, at the very least, carbon monoxide. Which is invisible, has no odor, or taste, and will kill you deader than a door nail. It is, by the way, a by product of combustion of Class A materials.

PLEASE, STOP POSTING WHEN YOU HAVEN'T GOT A SINGLE DAMN CLUE WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. BEFORE YOU GET SOMEBODY KILLED WITH YOUR IGNORANCE.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

I'm in college, the paper needs to be 6-8 pages double spaced..so there needs to be information out their. Thanks guys.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by zzyyzx View Post
    Crazy? I guess you haven't seen the research out there about the out-gassing from burned materials. CO, Hydrogen Cyanide, Hydrogen Chloride and numerous other deadly by-products are produced at harmful levels up to HOURS after the smoke is gone. Until the air is declared safe through an appropriate device that detects harmful levels of contaminants in the air, every personnel directly in the fireground should be packed up.

If a dept doesn't have a policy requiring this, they are leaving themselves liable for many medical conditions that can be prevented. Minor things like headaches the day after a big fire (CO) to serious life-threatening diseases like cancer.

No smoke no IDLH... now THAT'S not just crazy, it's ridiculous!
    Exactly, its crazy to not be wearing a pack during overhaul... and perhaps much longer...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Good God man, are you really this incredibly, dangerously, ignorant? We don't remove SCBA until the atmosphere has been monitored for, at the very least, carbon monoxide. Which is invisible, has no odor, or taste, and will kill you deader than a door nail. It is, by the way, a by product of combustion of Class A materials.

PLEASE, STOP POSTING WHEN YOU HAVEN'T GOT A SINGLE DAMN CLUE WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. BEFORE YOU GET SOMEBODY KILLED WITH YOUR IGNORANCE.
    How many times have you done overhaul when there is no smoke That is exactly what I am saying. If you would stop reading what you want it to say and actually read what it says you will be much further ahead.

BTW, I thought Carbon Monoxide came out of class B fires as well. After all, isn't the exhaust from a car the result of the combustion of a class B substance? And won't that exhaust kill due to the CO in it.

You guys screw up the bliss of my ignore when you quote that idiot.
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Forum Member

Lol. I love reading threads Scarecrow has gotten his dirty little fingers in. He just keeps the pot a-turnin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane21 View Post
    (don't know if this is a real isue or not but) Long term health hazzard to firefighters

Thank you
    Try researching the long term effects of rescue workers on 9/11

This will pan out to be the biggest hazard to all of those responders.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    Try researching the long term effects of rescue workers on 9/11

This will pan out to be the biggest hazard to all of those responders.
    That would actually tie in to not wearing SCBA during overhaul and clean up.

Forum Member

How about the psychological affects on a firefighter? You will find it is almost taboo to some to talk about how situations affect them not physically but mentally. You could easily get your length requirement out of that topic.

Default my 2 cents

Since you are in a fire protection program, how about a paper on automatic sprinklers and campus fire safety? Building codes and life safety standards all have a common goal which it to reduce the loss of life and prevent injury. On paper, those goals look impressive but in practice, they are only as good as those who implement and enforce them. Adopted life safety building codes are the key elements in establishing adequate fire protection for the communities. There is a wealth of information on this topic.

Sadly, there are more than a few cases on this topic. One that comes to mind is Seaton Hall University in 2000. Three students were killed in that fire. Fifty-four students, 2 firefighters and 2 police officers were injured. Two months after the fire in Seton Hall, three students were killed in a fire at the Tau Kappa Epsilon House at Bloomsburg University in Pennsylvania. And in June of the same year a student was killed in a fire at the Kappa-Sigma House near Millikin University in Illinois. The common element in all of these fires was the lack of an automatic sprinkler system in the dormitory.

That might give you enough information to bite.
    Last edited by cheffie; 02-21-2010 at 10:40 PM. Reason: minor corrections. typing when tired (TWT)

Quote Originally Posted by cheffie View Post
    ... three students were killed in a fire at the Tau Kappa Epsilon House at Bloomsburg University in Pennsylvania... The common element in all of these fires was the lack of an automatic sprinkler system in the dormitory.
    I was at the TKE fire in Bloomsburg. It was not a dorm, but a 2.5 story house. Old balloon frame construction, and you are correct, no sprinklers. The smoke detectors were disabled because of a party held there the night before, a date party. Luckily all the dates left, and only four guys stayed in the frat house, one jumped from a second story window prior to our arrival. The three others were recovered out of the collapsed structure. On scene for a long 16 hours.

This incident finally lead the town and university to implement more strict building codes and inspections for off campus student housing. 5 years before the TKE fire, five students died at another off campus frat house in Bloomsburg.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebird92 View Post
    Lol. I love reading threads Scarecrow has gotten his dirty little fingers in. He just keeps the pot a-turnin'.
    Yea and he post like he knows what he is talking about...

The real truth is that he couldn't even explain what primary search means.

Hysterical
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Quote Originally Posted by scarecrow57 View Post
    that would actually tie in to not wearing scba during overhaul and clean up.
    shut.the.****.up.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Thread Information