Thread: PFDs and rope

Forum Member

Default PFDs and rope

I am wondering what other departments require regarding wearing PFDs when doing rope work over or near water. Our department requires wearing a PFD even though we are working on a 2 rope system. This seems like overkill to me, and the PFD just gets in the way. Any thoughts on this?

Forum Member

What are you referring to? When we are doing highlines over the rivers, we do not wear them. If it were a swiftwater situation, I think I would want one. Maybe a little more information. I also think it depends on what you are doing for sure.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Jason-it is mostly highline and high-angle scenarios I am concerned about - situations where you never detach from your system. We have a cable car ride over water that we work from occasionally - essentially a highline system, and wearing a PFD there just doesn't make sense to me. Just wondering what others do in this type of situation. Thanks.

Forum Member

If you are not going to be in the water, than I think the PFD is in the way. How deep is the water should you end up in it? I can see the argument for both sides of this.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

jswrld,
    good question... i too have that same thought especially since we are about to have an annual evolution on our gondola over whitewater. we are required to wear a pfd when we are near the water per our dept sop. it seems like the high angle environment that is never going to be near the water could be an exception to this rule. let me do some asking around and i'll post some more soon.

on a side note, does your cable car travel over still or moving water. we are working on various techniques for removing patients from cars that are over the water but can't be lowered to a boat (the water under the cars is too aerated for our jet boat to operate in and too rapid to hold an inflatable kayak or kataraft still in). I haven't met any department that has this issue yet, seems like most lower to the ground or into a boat. passing a pt around a car gets a bit manpower intensive and complicated and we're contemplating experimenting with various offset techniques. would like to see what your scenario is.

-mike

Forum Member

Think Mike, think ........................

MembersZone Subscriber

If you can fall into the water then I would say yes, wear a PFD. But if you are working and have a safety line on you or are not over the water then no, forget it.

Thread Information