Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Should I go introduce myself

I have passed the CPAT, and taken written exam. They told us when we took the test it would be 4 to 8 weeks before we would receive our results and ranking in the mail. I am at about the 3rd week and was wondering if it was a good idea to go introduce myself to the fire chief?

MembersZone Subscriber

no. you will look like a suck ***.

No, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to call one of the stations and ask if you could do a station visit. Bring treats, don't be a know it all, and ask questions to learn about the department for the interview.
    Last edited by Golzy12; 02-19-2010 at 02:17 PM. Reason: changed "would" to "wouldn't"

Forum Member

Anyone else care to comment? Its a small town, and they are hiring 6 firefighters 27 applied.

Forum Member

Thanks Golzy, sounds like a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Drill Drew View Post
    I have passed the CPAT, and taken written exam. They told us when we took the test it would be 4 to 8 weeks before we would receive our results and ranking in the mail. I am at about the 3rd week and was wondering if it was a good idea to go introduce myself to the fire chief?

No and that said, if I were the Chief and you came in, to introduce yourself, I would shake your hand and tell you good luck and if we get to your name for interview, we will contact you Sir.

Have a good day.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

I would definitely go (to the busy stations, not the cheif) and introduce myself, do some ride alongs. Even though some of the guys will be busy and doing other things ASK QUESTIONS! Be proactive. Ask what you use this and that for. Eat lunch and dinner with them. Listen to them. If you want to bring cookies and crap to the station to bribe them feel free. I did not. If you are a "soup sandwich" (old army term there for peice of crap) a cookie is not going to get you anything. It doesn't matter. If you show that you are willing to do anything other than kiss *ss you might have a chance. Good luck

MembersZone Subscriber

Don't go talk to the Chief. If he wants to speak to you, he knows how to pick up the phone. Depending on the process, the Chief (if even included) is one of the last steps of the process. Sit back and wait for the results. When you get them, then go take a tour of the station.

Forum Member

They're busy enough with the testing process going on. You don't want to be known as the person who couldn't wait. Stay off the phone. The process usually takes longer than they plan on.

Good luck
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Quote Originally Posted by zzyyzx View Post
    Don't go talk to the Chief. If he wants to speak to you, he knows how to pick up the phone. Depending on the process, the Chief (if even included) is one of the last steps of the process. Sit back and wait for the results. When you get them, then go take a tour of the station.
    I have to agree with this...

Be patient.

If the Chief wants to see you, he can pick up the phone.

If you get the job

Then if the Chief wants to see you, he will pick your bones.

(Old saying.)

Do not do anything to draw attention to yourself. It will not help your test score. Wait for an interview, or denial.

If you set yourself up for high expectations and you do not get the job, then you will look like an idiot. If you get the job, you will look like an idiot.

As a Chief, I appreciate recruits coming in and introducing themselves to me, but it does not score any points with me. They can tell me they want the job real bad... I already know that, so it isn't productive. There is nothing that they can do except, do well on the test.

When I visit with the recommended list of candidates, there are still many reaons that a guy can blow it. If one of them is a guy that took time out of my day, I might not remember him until he points it out. Then that becomes a point in the wrong column.

I already have people that would love to do nothing but follow me around all day, trying to make my life easier, and their's easier too.

I think you get my meaning.
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Quote Originally Posted by Ladder-7 View Post
    I would definitely go (to the busy stations, not the cheif) and introduce myself, do some ride alongs. Even though some of the guys will be busy and doing other things ASK QUESTIONS! Be proactive. Ask what you use this and that for. Eat lunch and dinner with them. Listen to them. If you want to bring cookies and crap to the station to bribe them feel free. I did not. If you are a "soup sandwich" (old army term there for peice of crap) a cookie is not going to get you anything. It doesn't matter. If you show that you are willing to do anything other than kiss *ss you might have a chance. Good luck
    Stalker! If I had a guy come to the station wanting to do tons of ride alongs just becasue he applied for the job, I would laugh. You'll have plenty of time to bug them if you get the job. I would go for one station visit (maximum) just to see how the department is run.
    FF/Paramedic

Forum Member

^ My thoughts exactly.

What are we, a babysitting service? I'm fine with one or two visits(and luckily we don't do ride-alongs) but if I had to put up with the same dorky kid coming around all the time or for extended periods asking what everything we use is for I'd get sick of him fast, maybe even enough so to give personnel a call or casually mention his name to a DC. I've never done it but I know guys who have and if a member does that, you're done, you've got as good of a shot of getting appointed as my dog does of pitching for the Yankees.

Forum Member

Ranked 8 out of 27. Called the Station, and they said they were hiring one immediately. Also said they applied for a grant and if they get it they will be hiring 12 more. I decided to stay away, and joined another cities citizens academy to start learning about equipment and techniques. I know this will probably be a vague perception of everything I will be doing. Thanks for the comments guys I decided not to go in to see the chief.

MembersZone Subscriber

A single station tour may not be a bad idea if you have never done one with that dept before. When I got hired, I knew no one on my dept and it worked to my advantage. I started with an absolute clean slate and was able to create the reputation I wanted to follow me my career. Good luck... I hope they get the grant and your dream can become a reality.

Forum Member

We had this kid do three ride alongs back to back just because he had applied. One ride along is a good idea but your walking a fine line, you don't want to do too much or too little. Needless to say this kid wore out his welcome. Be careful on ridealongs! like what was said earlier a clean slate is a good thing to have. A ridealong should just be a fact finding mission for an interview.
    My 2 cents

Thread Information