Forum Member

Default Station nightclub 2/20/2003

Remembering the 100 victims of the Station Nightclub Fire. You are not forgotten.

Whenever I get frustrated with the politics of my work as a Fire Inspector/Code Enforcement Official, I think of this incident, and say to myself "NOT ON MY WATCH."

God bless them and their families.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Those who fail to learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. Like you, we should all think of The Station when we are tempted to let something slide.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    --General James Mattis, USMC

MembersZone Subscriber

I thought this was interesting and informative for someone who had very little knoweledge of the event:
    http://cfitrainer.net/Training_Progr...club_Fire.aspx

Forum Member

As a music fan and musician, I was always aware of this event. It was even the but of jokes. But, as I got more involved in firefighting it took on a different 'vibe', to me. I was able to watch a large chunk of the video taken by the news camera man in my Fire Inspector course, and it was pretty moving, to me. I ended up using that incident as a large portion of my final paper for that class. Now, as a fire inspector, I use that incident as motivation, besides the fact that I need to do my job, and do it correctly.
    "If the ladder goes up, the building goes down."

MembersZone Subscriber

The Station Nightclub Fire was yet another wake up call for many facets of the job. I know I talk to people about it when conducting fire inspections on commercial buildings and explain why I'm such a d**k about following the book the City gave me (NFPA 101). Sadly, rather than learning the message of the tragic loss of life, most focus on the financial liability they might incur by failing to follow established codes. But in the end, the message is clear, compliance will minimize liability and lost lives and we no longer accept "close enough".

MembersZone Subscriber

You know, 3 weeks before this incident, Great White played at a bar in my town. We met with their set up crew who wanted to use pyrotechnics and we said absolutely not. They got mad and argued but finally agreed not use them. Myself and the full time fire inspector arrived unannounced about 2 hours prior to the concert and they had the pyrotechnics set up to do it anyway, against our order. We threatened to shut down the concert if they didn't take them down. After a lot of yelling, they finally took them down and we actually confiscated them, with the help of law enforcement, until after the concert.

Every time I think of this I think that it could have happened here so so easily.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

If what you described happened HERE,they would have been SHUT DOWN. If, in the Pre show briefing,the pyrotechnic portion was discussed and ruled out of bounds,then the mere appearance of the pyrotechnic cannons would be reason enough to issue the shutdown order. That's the REASON for the Pre-Show meeting. Violate the terms: DONE! No show,cut and dried. T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    If what you described happened HERE,they would have been SHUT DOWN. If, in the Pre show briefing,the pyrotechnic portion was discussed and ruled out of bounds,then the mere appearance of the pyrotechnic cannons would be reason enough to issue the shutdown order. That's the REASON for the Pre-Show meeting. Violate the terms: DONE! No show,cut and dried. T.C.
    Thats the way I would handle it- because if they violate the terms of the pre-plan, then who knows what other kind of stunt they will pull. "You're shut down."

"But what about all our ticket sales?"

"What about them? You should have thought about that before you lied to me."
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

The Station is still talked about around me - and in fact we have an NIST video that shows the difference between having sprinklers with that situation and not.....I get quite a few stunned expressions when I show that in class....

Thankfully we have a very good relationship with the theater here that we cover - if there are any questions the production manager contacts our office for input, even for a visit of the set up and demonstration of the effect (usually a fog, sometimes small candles).....the one thing I have had to say 'NO' to was the use of some draperies that did not have the proper paperwork with them....oh, and the band recently that had to not use a fog/laser effect - but that one was due to a malfunction with the alarm/curtain override at the stage.

Forum Member

The first firefighter off the rig ... the gravity of the situation ..... i cant imagine that .... looking back the only real thing that would have made a difference was to chainsaw the area around the front door .... awful those ppl stuck like that.

Even then how much difference would it have made ...??... I teared up watching the vid in fire school.

This is/was not suppose to happen in our country.

Not forgotten.

Thread Information