Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Question Fire Investigator Question

My goal is to become a fire investigator and I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what I may want to major in in college to accomplish this. Thank you very much!

Forum Member

crimminolgy major, fire protection engineer

Suggest you talk to the state fire marshal's office also for guidance

Forum Member

Whether you want to be a public or private investigator, I would recommend an engineering degree or engineering technology. Electrical, Mechanical, of Fire Protection. Research Oklahoma State Univ. for fire protection technology, Eastern Kentucky Univ. for fire protection or fire investigation, and Maryland Univ. or Worcester Polytecnic Institute for Fire Protection Engineering. If you want to go elec or mech eng/eng. tech check with your local state colleges.

Forum Member

Default Eastern Kentucky University

Eastern Kentucky University has a great fire program with an emphasis on fire arson and explosion investigation. The two teachers that teach most of the fire investigation and explosions classes are very knowledgeable. One of the teachers, Tom Thurman is a former FBI bomb investigator and has worked several large bomb cases. The other teacher Greg Gorbett is very knowledgeable in fire investigation. He works for a large fire investigation firm in Florida and has also worked large/high value cases. Greg is also affiliated with many organizations such as IAAI, NAFI, and i believe he is on the NFPA 921 committee, he knows his stuff. Any more questions just shoot me a PM or check out EKU.edu.

Forum Member

Good luck Bro. Better start doing ride-alongs w/ local investigator. Nobody will hire w/out prior fire investigation experience. I had a fire investigation bachelors degree and still couldn't get a job. I was told I needed like 100 fires under my belt before I could get hired.

Forum Member

Thanks for the luck, but bro doesn't quite fit. :P Anyway, I plan on doing ride-alongs this summer if at all possible. Thanks for the heads-up and I'm sorry to hear that you couldn't get a job.

Get involved with a local FD, see if you have a fire investigation unit in your area - before I became certified as an investigator, I used to get investigation time by 'working' alongside the investigators when they were called out. That is how I logged my hours toward becoming a Level 1 in NYS.

HOWEVER - it was ALWAYS with approval of the lead investigator, AND after they had done a preliminary investigation as to the cause and determined it was not suspicious in nature.......NO court time for me! There used to be an 'old timer' investigator who was great! He would walk you through burn patterns, area of origin, etc...we used to call it 'arson 101' when we could work alongside him.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by randivi13 View Post
    Thanks for the luck, but bro doesn't quite fit. :P Anyway, I plan on doing ride-alongs this summer if at all possible. Thanks for the heads-up and I'm sorry to hear that you couldn't get a job.
    no need to apologize. Im on the best department in the world, loving it and on the fire investigator promotion list. So it'll pay off in the end!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fdny84 View Post
    no need to apologize. Im on the best department in the world, loving it and on the fire investigator promotion list. So it'll pay off in the end!
    Isn't every person's department the best in the world? But congratulations! I'm happy for you!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by randivi13 View Post
    Isn't every person's department the best in the world? But congratulations! I'm happy for you!
    but of course

Thread Information