Forum Member

Default EMT-Basics and IV's

I know here in Colorado after getting your EMT-B cert you can take an EMT-IV cert and be able to give IV's.

I have heard this is not normal in other states. Does anybody know which states a Basic can start an IV when they get an IV cert?

I have heard its mostly just and I and P skill. Is this true?
    RIP Hela

"You have to do better then your best."
    BUD's instuctor Class 234

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
    Martin Luther King, Jr

Truckie

In Minnesota, depending on your medical direction/protocols, many of the services have EMT's doing IV's.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

Maryland has an IV rating for EMT's
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

I believe it all depends on your local protocols. In CA, it would depend on which ems agency covers your location. I don't know of any that allow it, but it is possible for them to do so.

MembersZone Subscriber

The State of Virginia has a certification level known as "EMT-Enhanced" which is the first level at which you are allowed to start IV's. It covers a lot more than just IV's though.

EMT-Enhanced (3 year certification)

The Emergency Medical Technician-Enhanced: Virginia Standard Curriculum represents the minimum required information to be presented within a course that leads to a Virginia EMT-Enhanced certification eligibility. All skills and subjects contained in the curriculum for EMT-Enhanced are covered in a minimum of 80 hours of instruction plus a minimum of 48 hours devoted to extensive clinical rotations in specialty units and field internship. Clinical rotations of this type are not usually available for lower level providers to attend. These additional clinical rotations include time spent in OR/Recovery Units, Critical Care Units, Labor & Delivery Units, Pediatrics, Emergency Department, Family Practice, Mental Health Clinics, Dialysis Clinics, Neurovascular Rehabilitation Clinics, Detoxification Units, and Extended Care Facilities.

It is recognized that there is additional specific education that will be required of the EMT-Enhanced who practices in the field, i.e. ambulance driving, heavy and light rescue, basic extrication, special needs, for example. It is also recognized that this information might differ from locality to locality, and that each training program or system should identify and provide special instruction for these additional training requirements.

Source: http://www.vdh.virginia.gov/OEMS/Training/tprog.htm

Also - if you go here you can see the State allowed Scope of Practice document for each Provider Level. Now - just because it's allowed by the State Scope of Practice - it is still up to each Agency Medical Director to allow or dis-allow each skill & procedure.

http://www.vdh.virginia.gov/OEMS/Training/ALS_Home.htm
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by N2DFire View Post
    The State of Virginia has a certification level known as "EMT-Enhanced" which is the first level at which you are allowed to start IV's. It covers a lot more than just IV's though.

EMT-Enhanced (3 year certification)

The Emergency Medical Technician-Enhanced: Virginia Standard Curriculum represents the minimum required information to be presented within a course that leads to a Virginia EMT-Enhanced certification eligibility. All skills and subjects contained in the curriculum for EMT-Enhanced are covered in a minimum of 80 hours of instruction plus a minimum of 48 hours devoted to extensive clinical rotations in specialty units and field internship. Clinical rotations of this type are not usually available for lower level providers to attend. These additional clinical rotations include time spent in OR/Recovery Units, Critical Care Units, Labor & Delivery Units, Pediatrics, Emergency Department, Family Practice, Mental Health Clinics, Dialysis Clinics, Neurovascular Rehabilitation Clinics, Detoxification Units, and Extended Care Facilities.

It is recognized that there is additional specific education that will be required of the EMT-Enhanced who practices in the field, i.e. ambulance driving, heavy and light rescue, basic extrication, special needs, for example. It is also recognized that this information might differ from locality to locality, and that each training program or system should identify and provide special instruction for these additional training requirements.

Source: http://www.vdh.virginia.gov/OEMS/Training/tprog.htm

Also - if you go here you can see the State allowed Scope of Practice document for each Provider Level. Now - just because it's allowed by the State Scope of Practice - it is still up to each Agency Medical Director to allow or dis-allow each skill & procedure.

http://www.vdh.virginia.gov/OEMS/Training/ALS_Home.htm

That sounds pretty cool. IMO.
    RIP Hela

"You have to do better then your best."
    BUD's instuctor Class 234

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
    Martin Luther King, Jr

Forum Member

TN no longer trains EMT-Basic. You are EMT-IV once you finish school.
    FF/Paramedic

Forum Member

Here in Vermont EMT-B's are not allowed to perform ANY intravenus procedures. The includes testing blood sugars. EMT Basics in VT really aren't allowed to do a whole lot more over First Responders. Which is why getting the I-tech certs are the best way to go.
    Opinions expressed by myself here are just that, mine. And not that of ANY organization or service I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

In NY basics don't do IVs. They can do blood sugar, epi-pens, aspirin, albuterol, O2, and there is talk of allowing intubation. These are all limited by your regions protocols and medical control.

Thread Information