Forum Member

Default Northwest Ohio Explorer Event - July 10-11, 2010

On the weekend of July 10th and 11th 2010, the Rossford (Ohio) Fire Explorer Post will be putting on Don’t Slide Under the Truck Explorer Weekend. The weekend will begin on with the Mock Disaster at Owens Community College’s Center for Emergency Preparedness in Perrysburg Township, Ohio on Saturday – The site of the 2009 Mock Disaster. Sunday, we will put on the 16th Annual Don’t Slide Under the Truck Explorer Muster.

The Mock Disaster is a day where Post Advisors step back and let the Explorers do it all, except drive the vehicles. Advisors only intervene when asked by the Explorers to do so. This will be an all day event beginning at 0800 hours and ending at approximately 1500 hours. During this time, Fire and Police Explorer Posts in attendance will get the chance to run calls running lights and sirens. Each Post will be assigned a department/station number. Calls for the fire departments will range from live car fires, motor vehicle accidents, and structure fires (search and rescue mazes) to all sorts or EMS scenarios ranging from gun shot wounds to bloody noses. The only thing Explorers will be asked to do is patient care on accidents. Police Posts will take calls ranging from traffic stops to hostage situations. If Police Posts in attendance have training in traffic accident investigation, they may investigate the crashes. All National Exploring rules and regulations will be followed.

Explorers will be dispatched to the calls by dispatchers via portable radios that will be on each truck or unit. The dispatchers we will be using are dispatchers by career probably from Lucas County EMS. It is possible that an air ambulance, or two, will land during the day. There will be at least one large scale disaster during the day and there will be several scenarios during the day in which fire and police will have to work together. Radio communication training before this event is a must for this day to run smoothly.

Registration for the entire weekend – Mock Disaster and the Muster – will be $25 per Explorer which covers registration for the Mock Disaster and Muster and a continental breakfast and a full lunch Sunday at the Muster. We ask that anyone else coming who will be eating pay $10 to cover their food. Lunch during the Mock Disaster will be on your own. We will have a pizza deal made out with a local pizza company and will have it delivered to the site. We will ask at the end of June for lunch orders if you’re ok with getting pizza and we’ll have the order in ahead of time. You can pay at registration.

Following the Mock Disaster, the Toledo Mud Hens (The Detroit Tiger’s AAA team) will be playing at home in downtown Toledo – just a few minutes away. Tickets for the game are very-low priced. Due to it being hard for us to get a group ticket event together with not knowing for sure how many people are coming, we suggest you order your tickets for your Post on your own ahead of time. See www.ToledoMudHens.com for details.

Local Hotel information is available. We have deals set up. See the attached sheet for those details.

The Muster will run on Sunday starting at 0800. We will take out a couple of the games so it doesn’t last as long. We will be done in the early afternoon. Detailed info about the Muster will be emailed out and posted on RossfordFire.com in the next few months.
    Please RSVP to the event directors by Sunday March 30th, 2010.

We will be in contact with you – Mostly through email. At the end of June, everyone will receive a copy of the Guidelines & Operation booklet in your email. You will also be supplied one per post the day of the event.
    If you have any questions or comments now, please feel free to email us at ksimok21@yahoo.com, boofd3@yahoo.com, or backsteprescue@yahoo.com.

Thanks,

Kyle Simok
    Andrew Vascik
    Jake Hoffman
    RFRD Explorer Post 790
    The hotel info we're trying to get squared away very soon. We're working to get it as low cost as possible for the one or 2 night stay you may have. The hotel will be near a Bass Pro store in the southern-most area of Rossford right off I-75 at the Ohio Turnpike (I-80/90) on State Route 795, just 5 minutes from the Owens College campus.

Below, you can view this informational letter and print it off.
    http://www.box.net/shared/fbudg7jan9

Owens Community College - Center for Emergency Preparedness
    https://www.owens.edu/cep/index.html

Not sure if this will work... It's the video from last year's Mock Disaster from my Facebook account. It's on YouTube, but they disabled my audio...
    http://www.facebook.com/kyle.simok?v...v=119249917194

Fox-Toledo News dub
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdSYZOMogok

If you're interested, email us ASAP! Questions can be forwarded to myself or RFRDxplorer on here.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Sounds like fun, I wish you all a great time!! This sounds like a nice chance to have a good time while seeing what "the job" is really like.

Enjoy, and post some pics or something if you remember.

Pete

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpete View Post
    Sounds like fun, I wish you all a great time!! This sounds like a nice chance to have a good time while seeing what "the job" is really like.

Enjoy, and post some pics or something if you remember.

Pete
    Will do Pete... That is the premise behind the event. You can't beat the cost for a good day of training and a fun day the following day. We'll keep everyone updated on here.

We ran both of these events last summer 3 weekends apart from each other. We've been running a muster for 17 years now. But we added the Mock Disaster last summer. It was too much, we thought, to spread the weekends out and charge separately for both events. So we combined them into all one weekend.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

News coverage of the event from NBC24-Toledo

http://www.toledoonthemove.com/news/...aspx?id=481000

Ended up being an awesome event. Everyone who attended enjoyed themselves. Even the instructors we had in from Toledo Fire, Toledo Police, and other area departments didn't want to leave because they were having so much fun with the kids. We hosted 6 explorer posts (5 fire and 1 police).

On a side note, the advisor who I chose to get interviewed is RFRD's (Jake) dad. He's apart of the NW Ohio Region 1 USAR Team, who has had a busy year already, sadly. He makes a reference to the tornado at the end of the video - That was the F-4 that struck in the area on June 5th/6th that killed 6 people, just 3 miles from where the Mock Disaster took place, in Lake Twp.
    Firefighter/EMT

Forum Member

Firefighter/EMT

Thread Information