Thread: NJ hiring?

Forum Member

Default NJ hiring?

OK so here's my question, I live in Cliffside Park NJ. What I've read so far, to my understanding, is that by the time of taking the civil service test I need to live in the city/town I'm applying for? So basically I have NO shot of getting hired anywhere unless I move out of CP?

Forum Member

Thats what I understand man. NJ usually strictly hires in the borough that you live in. Not too late to move if you have the means.

Forum Member

That really sucks, moving right now is a little impossible. Should I even bother taking the test? I didn't apply to any certain town though. There wasn't a question on the application asking that..

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MNaps View Post
    That really sucks, moving right now is a little impossible. Should I even bother taking the test? I didn't apply to any certain town though. There wasn't a question on the application asking that..
    You are correct the New Jersey hiring process does suck. Its outdated and screws alot of people of jobs. Not everyone can afford moving out and getting there own place. You look down south and they take applications from anyone and when you get hired you move there. I sat on the civil service list for 3 years in a hiring position and never got the job cause of cutbacks and a couple of my friends go south and they are all hired. I would still take to just get the experience of the test.

Good luck
    Stay safe!

Forum Member

With the NJ test you need to be moved by the end of the application date which will be march 31st for this upcoming test...You get put on lists in which your residency lets you be put on...I.E. If you have a Hackensack residency you will be put on hackensacks list, plus i think bergenfields, bloomfields list because they have county residency requirements. The big dissadvantage is that now there are a lot of vets coming back looking for jobs and they go to the top of the list as long as they have their paperwork and time in order.

so basically to get put on a list and have a decent shot of getting hired you need to def be moved to a civil service town that has a paid FD.

Forum Member

OK thanx for all the replies! Let me just ask one more thing, lets say I know someone who lives in Hoboken or Hackensack or ect..would it be safe to put their address on the civil service application?

Forum Member

OK thanx for all the replies! Let me just ask one more thing, lets say I know someone who lives in Hoboken or Hackensack or ect..would it be safe to put their address on the civil service application?
    At the time of the test your gonna have to show your drivers license and its going to have to match the address on your application. Also most paid fire departments will stop at the residence atleast once or twice during the time you are on the list to check if you actually live there. Some FD's go as far to ask neighbors if they know and do some other background investigations.
    Stay safe!

Forum Member

So basically I have no shot of getting hired anywhere anytime soon.

Forum Member

and being that I live in CP what list would I be put on?

Forum Member

and being that I live in CP what list would I be put on?
    It's not that hard. If you look at the application it lists what towns you would be able to be hired for.

Bergenfield, Bloomfield and West Orange.

Forum Member

Yea I juse saw that, it doen't mention West Orange though.

Forum Member

Yea I juse saw that, it doen't mention West Orange though.
    West Orange is listed now as "New Jersey" when the application first came out it was just West Orange, something must of recently happened.

Forum Member

Oh nice..maybe they're hiring. How busy are those towns?

Forum Member

Oh nice..maybe they're hiring. How busy are those towns?
    They have 4 Fire Houses which usually amounts to something like 90 Firefighters total.

The interesting thing will be if this Severance Cap package gets passed and put into effect I think a lot of NJ guys will retire before then and a lot of people will be hired off the current list.

Forum Member

Yea that would be great. Do you know how busy those towns are?

Back In Black

Default For those on the Jersey City List

I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Thread Information