Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Team U S A knocks off Team Canada

Boy, was Team Canada let down by the "greatest goalie of all time" tonight or what?

Very inspired hockey by Team USA. Rifalsky, Drury, Miller. Wow!
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by georgewendtcfi View Post
    boy, was team canada let down by the "greatest goalie of all time" tonight or what?

Very inspired hockey by team usa. Rifalsky, drury, miller. Wow!
    great game....usa
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

MembersZone Subscriber

Goalie was absolutely fantastic and Rafalskie was a sniper. USA won because they were the better team. Canada needs to pick up the pace if they want a chance to get to the final.
    Congratulations USA.

MembersZone Subscriber voyager9's Avatar

Especially true given that the Shots on Goal were so slanted toward Canada. They were REALLY pressing and for large chunks of the game it seamed the ice was slanted toward the US goal. Definitely a good game!

Maybe just scemantics, but I'd note that the game didn't "knock off" Canada. They can still make the semifinals by beating Germany (I think?).
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

USA looked good. It seemed like Canada spent the whole third period shooting at our goal.
    FF/Paramedic

MembersZone Subscriber

I used the term "knock off" in the slang, not the literal.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

MembersZone Subscriber

Anytime you are outshot the way Team USA was and still win by 2 goals,
    (Ok one was an empty netter), the team needs to buy the goalie every meal for the rest of the season. He was superb. Best of luck for the rest of the games until we meet in the final. ( I hope) Ovechkin and Malkin may have something to say about that however.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Guess the first was just the "warm-up" game, eh George?

Canada wins hockey gold; sets new Olympic record

By Ben Kuzma, Canwest Olympic Team February 28, 2010 3:09

VANCOUVER -- Canada captured its long-awaited gold medal and Roberto Luongo captured his long-awaited place in Olympic hockey history Sunday.

The win also secured Canada's record as the nation with the most gold medals ever during an Olympic Games.

Sidney Crosby ended the overtime suspense when he took a pass from Jarome Iginla and whipped a wrist shot between the pads of goaltender Ryan Miller at 7:40 of the extra session for a dramatic 3-2 victory over the U.S. at Canada Hockey Place. The overtime was forced when Zach Parise scored with 24. 4 seconds remaining in regulation time and set the stage for four-on-four overtime.

Canada was hoping to avenge 5-3 loss to the Americans in the preliminary round which cost Canada the Pool A title. And Luongo was hoping to stake his claim as one of the game's great goaltenders after the Vancouver Canucks stopper watched from the bench in the preliminary loss to the Americans. He did the same back in 2006 when Canada finished seventh in the Turin Games, where the U.S. was eighth.

Corey Perry and Jonathan Toews also scored for Canada on Sunday, while Ryan Kesler's deflection of a Kane wrister looked like it was going to be the only shot to get past a resilient Luongo in the biggest game of his career. The Canadians nearly put the game on ice with three minutes left in regulation time when Crosby was stopped on a partial breakaway by Ryan Miller before Parise struck.

The U.S., which is also trying to avenge a 5-2 loss to Canada in the 2002 Salt Lake City Games, looked like momentum had swung its way after Kesler got his blade on a Kane wrister at 12:44 of the second period to set the stage for a hectic finish.

Luongo was then forced to make a save off Zach Parise on a 2-on-1 break before U.S. goalie Ryan Miller responded with a save off Mike Richards as Canada held a 25-23 shot advantage after 40 minutes.

Perry had made it a two-goal cushion at 7:13 of the second period when a centring pass by Ryan Getzlaf bounced off American defenceman Ryan Whitney and right to a trailing Perry who snapped it past Miller. Canada opened scoring when Richards stripped Erik Johnson of the puck deep in the U.S. zone and then got a shot off before pounced on the ensuing rebound and whipped a wrist shot past Miller's glove at 12:50. Canada outshot the U.S. 10-8 in the opening 20 minutes.

The best chance for the Americans in the first period came midway through the period when winger Dustin Brown went around defenceman Drew Doughty and used a backhand-to-forehand move to try and jam the puck past Luongo. The goalie hugged the post with his pad as Kane jammed at a loose puck that sat on the goalline before being swept away by defenceman Duncan Keith.

The allstar team was also announced Sunday:

MVP — Ryan Miller (USA)

Goal — Ryan Miller (USA)

Defence — Brian Rafalski (USA), Shea Weber (Can)

Forwards — Jonathan Toews (Can), Pavol Demitra (Slovakia), Zach Parise (USA)

bkuzma@theprovince.com

© Copyright (c) Canwest News Service

Read more: http://www.timescolonist.com/Canada+...#ixzz0gsKRiNxX

Unhappy

I can't believe we lost.
    FF/Paramedic

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Question Hey Rick??..........

I don't understand Hockey or the Olympics in General, so please bear with me on this: How did Canada set a record for the number of Gold Medals???
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    I don't understand Hockey or the Olympics in General, so please bear with me on this: How did Canada set a record for the number of Gold Medals???
    Canada broke a number of records ... most Gold medals won by the host country and more Gold medals won by a single country than ANY previous winter Olympics.

I believe it was a record number of medals in total as well, we beat our previous high by 2 medals.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Hocky is over-rated...

sometimes....but not today.
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Pressure

Can you imagine the pressure these lads felt when they skated out? In Canada, hockey is akin to a religion and they carried the whole hopes of their country on their shoulders. The USA were going in undefeated, largely due to Ryan Miller. They stood to be the Giant killers and actually bringing hockey to respectability in the USA.
    Getting beat from point blank range by Sid the Kid is nothing to be ashamed of and if Miller can keep his edge, he may go down in the books with names like Broda, Sawchuk, Hall, Bower and Plante.
    A great game and kudos to both teams

One of the best games, if not the best, ever.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

How Canada didn't loose with the way that Luongo was giving up rebounds, I'll never know.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    One of the best games, if not the best, ever.
    Nah. Still not as good as the '72 Olympics against Russia. NOW THAT was a time when hockey was Hockey.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RoaddoggAK View Post
    How Canada didn't loose with the way that Luongo was giving up rebounds, I'll never know.....
    Did you see how many Miller gave up. That was probably his one big fault.

MembersZone Subscriber voyager9's Avatar

It was a great game.. seemed like Canada has the US on its heals for most of the game even though the stats were pretty even throughout the game.

I'm disappointed the US lost, but even more upset that Crosby scored the winning goal.

With respect to medals.. while I don't think Canada was up there in total medal count it seemed like every medal they got was gold.. A very good showing!

Unrelated, but what did you folks think of the closing ceremony?
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by voyager9 View Post
    It was a great game.. seemed like Canada has the US on its heals for most of the game even though the stats were pretty even throughout the game.

I'm disappointed the US lost, but even more upset that Crosby scored the winning goal.

With respect to medals.. while I don't think Canada was up there in total medal count it seemed like every medal they got was gold.. A very good showing!

Unrelated, but what did you folks think of the closing ceremony?
    Evidently, according to a news broadcast on Euronews, IOC only counts gold medals in the medal count. I think Canada was 3rd or 4th in total overall medals. In Canada, the only one that counts is that last Gold. Crazy, but thats how important hockey is up here.

Quote Originally Posted by BryanLoader View Post
    Evidently, according to a news broadcast on Euronews, IOC only counts gold medals in the medal count. I think Canada was 3rd or 4th in total overall medals. In Canada, the only one that counts is that last Gold. Crazy, but thats how important hockey is up here.
    There was talk of exactly that point this morning on the radio. Al Brown does "Al Brown's Cheap Seats" commentary about things in the world each day. The topic today was about the hockey gold. The country as a whole is "eccstatic" about winning the medal to the almost disregard of all the others. Had we won silver, as he put it, "even the players would have thrown it into the bottom of the locker and forgotten about it by tomorrow."

Thread Information