Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Salvage yards for fire equipment?

I know some engines get retired and sold at auction to collectors, Others get sent out of the country and some just get parked behind the station till they melt into the ground.

BUT what about the rest. What happens to the ones that are damaged beyond repair? Or that are just run into the ground.

Mainly asking because we run older equipment and sometimes run into a need for an odd part that was used for 2-3 years and then seemed to vanish. Stuff that can be replaced with current items isn't a problem. Pressure or compound gauges valves and the like.

But some of these parts seem like the original company sold the app. builder the last 500 they ever planned to make and the builder used them all...

Anyone have a good source for those type parts?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doorbreaker View Post
    I know some engines get retired and sold at auction to collectors, Others get sent out of the country and some just get parked behind the station till they melt into the ground.

BUT what about the rest. What happens to the ones that are damaged beyond repair? Or that are just run into the ground.

Mainly asking because we run older equipment and sometimes run into a need for an odd part that was used for 2-3 years and then seemed to vanish. Stuff that can be replaced with current items isn't a problem. Pressure or compound gauges valves and the like.

But some of these parts seem like the original company sold the app. builder the last 500 they ever planned to make and the builder used them all...

Anyone have a good source for those type parts?
    Contact Rusty at Coopersburg Kenworth in Coopersburg, Pa. (888) 453-7954

They have a yard there with lots of used truck parts. They usually have a few fire trucks which they part out. The last time I was there they had a '93 Seagrave FDNY wreck, a Phila. Seagrave ladder, a tillered ladder from Maryland and a few others. I got all of the valves from the FDNY Seagrave, so if you need any Waterous 2-1/2" full flow or 3-1/2 valves, I have some. I need a couple of them for spares for our station, the rest can go.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefengineer11 View Post
    Contact Rusty at Coopersburg Kenworth in Coopersburg, Pa. (888) 453-7954

They have a yard there with lots of used truck parts. They usually have a few fire trucks which they part out. The last time I was there they had a '93 Seagrave FDNY wreck, a Phila. Seagrave ladder, a tillered ladder from Maryland and a few others. I got all of the valves from the FDNY Seagrave, so if you need any Waterous 2-1/2" full flow or 3-1/2 valves, I have some. I need a couple of them for spares for our station, the rest can go.
    No more fire trucks there. All cut up and sold off as scrap.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    No more fire trucks there. All cut up and sold off as scrap.
    Bummer. Does he have any of that stuff back in the Sellersville yard?

Quote Originally Posted by chiefengineer11 View Post
    Bummer. Does he have any of that stuff back in the Sellersville yard?
    In the interest of protecting what is there (from scavengers) for a friend who wishes to purchase something intact, I can neither confirm nor deny the presence of one single solitary ex FDNY 1980 ALF Pumper.

In the interest of protecting what is there (from scavengers) for a friend .
    This would mean that you have a friend other than me?

Doorbreaker contact John from cnyfiretrucks.com he has several retired units in his photos.
    Last edited by Fyrtrks; 02-22-2010 at 04:45 PM.
    Fyrtrks

Quote Originally Posted by Fyrtrks View Post
    This would mean that you have a friend other than me?

Doorbreaker contact John from cnyfiretrucks.com he has several retired units in his photos.
    Hey man, you had your chance at an antique truck and you blew it!!!!!!!!! (just kidding....who loves you???)

I sent John a note a while back about visiting the station in the spring to get some shots of our rigs now that they are lettered and in service.

He has a couple problems with our rigs since they usually come to use third or fourth hand... Hard to keep them straight that way.

Forum Member

Since we're talking pieces n parts... sorta.... anyone know where i can get my hands on an old pump pannel? Nothing too big... small... no more than 3 or 4 feet wide....Need it for my tap system.
    It takes a little intelligence to enjoy humor,satire & wit, but none to be offended by it.

It take more than a new Leather Helmet to make you a good officer

Quote Originally Posted by RoofTopTrucky
    Since we're talking pieces n parts... sorta.... anyone know where i can get my hands on an old pump pannel? Nothing too big... small... no more than 3 or 4 feet wide....Need it for my tap system.
    I might have something for you in about a month or so, when we get our new rigs in, and the old ones set for public auction.

When the time comes for which rigs will go to auction, I'll take a couple pics of what they look like.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RoofTopTrucky View Post
    Are you wanting just the panel or something with gauges in it. We might have something lying on the junk pile unless it got hauled off. I'll look in the pile for you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rm1524 View Post
    Are you wanting just the panel or something with gauges in it. We might have something lying on the junk pile unless it got hauled off. I'll look in the pile for you.
    Something with gauges...and maybe a lever or two. I'm looking for something that "looks" working, and if you have any old turn downs that would help to. Thanks
    It takes a little intelligence to enjoy humor,satire & wit, but none to be offended by it.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'll see what we have in the junk pile.

Forum Member

Hey man, you had your chance at an antique truck and you blew it!!!!!!!!! (just kidding....who loves you???)
    1980 is ANTIQUE?!?!?!

D@mn, we're running an '82 ALF as the first-due out of Station 2.

The truck it replaced was a '67 Seagrave. If anybody is interested in that truck, let me know ASAP. Detroit 6-71 runs great, just overheats occassionally (new water pump a year or so back) and won't stop (air over hydraulic w/ a bad master cylinder). The pump is a 750GPM two-stage stuck in pressure mode. Paint is still really nice. There's pics here (http://p6.hostingprod.com/@tarkingto...7Seagraves.htm) from when it was still in-service last year.

It just got to where the maintenance costs weren't financially acceptable, plus couldn't get anyone to work on it.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by simpleguy68 View Post
    1980 is ANTIQUE?!?!?!

D@mn, we're running an '82 ALF as the first-due out of Station 2.

The truck it replaced was a '67 Seagrave. If anybody is interested in that truck, let me know ASAP. Detroit 6-71 runs great, just overheats occassionally (new water pump a year or so back) and won't stop (air over hydraulic w/ a bad master cylinder). The pump is a 750GPM two-stage stuck in pressure mode. Paint is still really nice. There's pics here (http://p6.hostingprod.com/@tarkingto...7Seagraves.htm) from when it was still in-service last year.

It just got to where the maintenance costs weren't financially acceptable, plus couldn't get anyone to work on it.
    How much are you asking for it?
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Anyone got an old bumper bell mount available? We built a memorial recently and the company we used stiffed us on the bell mounting.

We have the bell, just need a stand.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RoofTopTrucky View Post
    Something with gauges...and maybe a lever or two. I'm looking for something that "looks" working, and if you have any old turn downs that would help to. Thanks
    The only thing in the junk pile is a old panel with nothing on it or in it. About 5' by 2'. It should have went with the scrap metel when it went. Sorry.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rm1524 View Post
    The only thing in the junk pile is a old panel with nothing on it or in it. About 5' by 2'. It should have went with the scrap metel when it went. Sorry.
    No wories, thanks for lookin tho

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    How much are you asking for it?
    They've not said. If someone were to offer more than what it would bring dragging it across the scales for salvage, they'd probably take it.

Forum Member

These ol' warbirds...they HAD some life left to them, now they are left to have parts picked off of them.

Thread Information