Thread: First Fire

Forum Member

Default First Fire

Caught my first fire today, just short of a month on the department. Small detached shed fire. Still in the recruit class so all i got to do was haul ladders and roll hose but man was it fun. I need to learn my map book though cause after three turns i was lost. Oh well, thats just something to put on the front burner and make sure never happens again.

Forum Member

Well good job on your first fire. What helped me learn my maps the most was to use a phone book and do the 'close your eyes and point' routine at a page and learn the best route to that address, regardless of which stations response district it's in. Filling out blank map pages helped alot too.

Forum Member

Are you career or volunteer?

Forum Member

Congrats on your first fire. As far as the map book and learning your district. It is important most of it will come with time running calls. However studying the map book is very important. Getting out and riding helps alot too. What helped me the most was guys on shift calling out and street name and you telling them turn by turn how to get there. We have a map test at the end of our rookie year, 15 streets picked at random in your first due. So you have to know all the streets in your area. Everytime you have down time at the station stare at the mapbook and memorize the streets. Learn which roads are main arteries and the streets that come off them.

Congrats on your first fire. hope their are many more. Remember not to have to show to much joy. after all it is devistating to someone to experience a fire.

Forum Member

I personally use a GPS to help me find my way and it is usually reliable. I also ride around and learn streets that way. Another thing is maps.google.com and just browse the map.

Forum Member

Your first fire is always a rush.Trust me, I know. Hell, we all know the feeling.I've personally always got a rush from everything I've been too.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tony4310 View Post
    Your first fire is always a rush.Trust me, I know. Hell, we all know the feeling.I've personally always got a rush from everything I've been too.
    My first fire was a car fire, sadly... it was out before I got there.

Forum Member

Congrats,

My first fire was a house fire that was 3 houses down from the local hospital on a icy November evening. Didn't get to do interior, obviously.

Forum Member

One way that helps learn your first due and other run area is to make flash cards. Set up the cards by the different box alarms and you will at least get the general direction of the call down first. Knowing whether to turn left or right out of the firehouse is half the battle.
    Kyle
    Upper Macungie Township Station 56, Allentown, PA
    Vigilant Hose Company #1, Shippensburg, PA

The things I post do not reflect the views of the affiliations I belong to.

Forum Member

Congrats on your first fire man! the rush is just going to get better and better. On the streets deal, how i learned my district was the drive on the highway and turn off on every single road no matter where it lead. it helped me a ton but dont stress to much over it there will always always no matter how well you know your district theres going to be roads where you have no idea in hell where they are.
    Basically, Its all about breaking glass and kickin' *****

Forum Member

My first fire was a fully involved 2007 Caddie. Magnesium explosions are something to see, let me tell ya.

Thread Information