Banned

Quote Originally Posted by baja320 View Post
    SC how's Congress rated these days?
    Unlike our fine feathered friend I provide sources rather than just pull stuff out of my backside

Congressional Job Approval

78% disapproval and 18% approval. And it is being run by democrats, what does that tell you?

Gallup Daily: Obama Job Approval 48% approve, 46% disapprove. One and done

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by baja320 View Post
    SC how's Congress rated these days?
    Bad. What's your point?

It's rarely been good. People rate congress poorly. Yet they continue to send the same incumbents back for another term.

A buddy of mine once put it best. People dislike the legislature, but they like their legislator.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

MembersZone Subscriber

Angry The Government They Deserve

People get the government they deserve by continually sending the long term incumbants back to Washington. They think they are the Aristocrisy and above the will of the people. Well I think the people have finally woke up and there will be massive changes in Wash. DC. in November.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by donethat View Post
    People get the government they deserve by continually sending the long term incumbants back to Washington. They think they are the Aristocrisy and above the will of the people. Well I think the people have finally woke up and there will be massive changes in Wash. DC. in November.
    The problem is that too many people go into the voting booth and no nothing about the candidate. I recall in the last election asking random people if they thought that Obama and Palin was a good ticket, the answers were typically hell yea.

Forum Member

We'll see. The time between now and November is an eternity in politics. Tea Bagger party candidates have had their posteriors handed to them in every race so far. By the looks of things, nothing has changed.
    Last edited by scfire86; 03-09-2010 at 12:48 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    We'll see. The time between now and November is an eternity in politics. Tea Bagger party candidates have had their posteriors handed to them in every race so far. By the looks of things, nothing has changed.
    You seem to be equating change only with the Tea Party (not your derogatory Tea Bagger left wing liberal terminology) movement.
    I have attended a Tax Payers Fed Up meeting last April 15th. The people in attendance were a composite of all political views and races. We had one theme in common; the Federal Government is out of control and not listening to the will of the people.
    The results in Virginia, New Jersey, and Massachusetts do not bode well for the liberal Dems.
    And the District 22 race in NY with a last minute Conservative candidate that got the liberal Republican booted and was a very close win for the Dem.
    Look at the policies in NJ. They raised the taxes on the wealthy and the next year the tax receipts dropped significantly. What happened? People got better at shielding their income or they moved out of state to places like Florida and Texas that donít have a state income tax. California and NY are going down the same failed path.
    While Texas is booming because of low taxes and a state legislature that only meets 90 days of the year.
    Yes, it will be interesting in Nov.

Forum Member

While Texas is booming because of low taxes and a state legislature that only meets 90 days of the year.
    Texas is booming in what way? They're running a state deficit just like everyone else? Their unemployment rate is a whopping 1.5% below the national average.

Banned

Texas is booming in what way? They're running a state deficit just like everyone else? Their unemployment rate is a whopping 1.5% below the national average.
    I guess that makes them at 6.5% or lower. Remember , the stimulus will keep unemployment below 8%.

Banned

You seem to be equating change only with the Tea Party (not your derogatory Tea Bagger left wing liberal terminology) movement.
    I have attended a Tax Payers Fed Up meeting last April 15th. The people in attendance were a composite of all political views and races. We had one theme in common; the Federal Government is out of control and not listening to the will of the people.
    The results in Virginia, New Jersey, and Massachusetts do not bode well for the liberal Dems.
    And the District 22 race in NY with a last minute Conservative candidate that got the liberal Republican booted and was a very close win for the Dem.
    Look at the policies in NJ. They raised the taxes on the wealthy and the next year the tax receipts dropped significantly. What happened? People got better at shielding their income or they moved out of state to places like Florida and Texas that donít have a state income tax. California and NY are going down the same failed path.
    The term Tea Bagger has its origins on the left inside the Gay community. Conservatives don't use such derogatory terms, (They have better ones).

Recent polls show that 86% of the American Public thinks the government is too powerful and can take away our freedoms.

Forum Member

Texas is booming in what way?
    Population, economy, jobless claims, unemployment rate, school testing, cost of living, lower taxation, etc.., Should we go on?

They're running a state deficit just like everyone else?
    They are running a deficit. Texas has a "whopping" 1.7 billion deficit, while California has 20 billion+. Hmmmmmmmmmmm, and Texas has lower taxation, and no income tax - while California (like my state of Massachusetts) would tax oxygen if they could.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...1.4bbdade.html

http://www.lao.ca.gov/2009/bud/fisca...ok_111809.aspx

Their unemployment rate is a whopping 1.5% below the national average.
    As opposed to California's "whopping" 12.5% unemployment rate.

http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds=...mployment+rate

http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds=...state:ST480000

And California is doing better or the same how?
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Don't give 'em the idea.
    Here in Tennessee,there is a bill to add a tax on hotels from the free Continental breakfast they offer.Of course,the news station covering the story says that "It won't be passed on to hotel guests." even though budget numbers are being used to show that over $1,000,000.00 a year would be brought into the state coffers.
    Sure,Charlie.

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    while California (like my state of Massachusetts) would tax oxygen if they could.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...1.4bbdade.html

http://www.lao.ca.gov/2009/bud/fisca...ok_111809.aspx

MembersZone Subscriber

Angry Taxing Breathing Air

Ya, I get a kick out of my cell phone bill. We are on a family plan where each additional phone is $20 a month. Yet the bill for each phone is $30/month. You guessed it, 33% of the cost in Taxes.
    Same with the local electric bill which I might add is a city supplied utility.
    Of a $284 electric bill last month, $105 was for electricity used and the rest were taxes, fuel subsidies, fees and god who knows what all. What a joke.
    The government has their hands in your pocket so many ways its pathetic.
    And they are chomping at the bit to start taxing internet use. Mark my words its coming.
    I know they tax your assets when you die, what about when you are born?

Forum Member

They are running a deficit. Texas has a "whopping" 1.7 billion deficit, while California has 20 billion+. Hmmmmmmmmmmm, and Texas has lower taxation, and no income tax - while California (like my state of Massachusetts) would tax oxygen if they could.
    Several of my fellow retirees moved to Texas. Believing that lower taxes would equate to a lower cost of living. Guess what? It hasn't. They were able to buy a bigger home, but monthly expenses are about the same as living here.

Many have told me they regret it. And despite the smaller house, they can't afford to move back. They're stuck.

And California is doing better or the same how?
    Because it is cold today, I had to put on a long sleeve t-shirt with my shorts when I walked down to the beach.

Forum Member

Several of my fellow retirees moved to Texas. Believing that lower taxes would equate to a lower cost of living. Guess what? It hasn't. They were able to buy a bigger home, but monthly expenses are about the same as living here.
    Taxes have little to do with cost of living. I could move to New Hampshire and pay 25%-30% more in property taxes, have no sales tax, and no income tax - yet my monthly expenses would be about the same.

And New Hampshire does not have half the problems with their finances that Massachusetts has.

One must research where they will retire to, before they do so. Your fellow retirees failed to so, so I guess I should feel sorry for them?

Many have told me they regret it. And despite the smaller house, they can't afford to move back. They're stuck.
    Then they should have looked into the cost of retirement better, perhaps rented a bit longer before plunking down money on a house in place they have never lived before.

Because it is cold today, I had to put on a long sleeve t-shirt with my shorts when I walked down to the beach.
    Which has what to do with how secure and well run the state is doing how?

A typical dodge by you. Thanks for your usual non-answer.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

One must research where they will retire to, before they do so. Your fellow retirees failed to so, so I guess I should feel sorry for them?
    No. Nor did I or they ask for your sympathy.

Then they should have looked into the cost of retirement better, perhaps rented a bit longer before plunking down money on a house in place they have never lived before.
    That doesn't mean they're unhappy. They just regret leaving CA.

No sweat. At the end of the day. State government or not, there are other reasons to live in a particular place. Quality of life (like never having to shovel snow) is very much a reason to pick a particular locale.
    Last edited by scfire86; 03-10-2010 at 12:12 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey guys, try talking about what you agree on for a bit instead of what you disagree on. Lets see if we can work any of this out. what do you say??

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dwoods87 View Post
    Hey guys, try talking about what you agree on for a bit instead of what you disagree on. Lets see if we can work any of this out. what do you say??
    That would be too easy.

But I do agree with you sir.

You can only beat a dead horse for so long before it starts to rot.

Eventually you have to agree to bury the horse.
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Banned

Taxes have little to do with cost of living. I could move to New Hampshire and pay 25%-30% more in property taxes, have no sales tax, and no income tax - yet my monthly expenses would be about the same.

And New Hampshire does not have half the problems with their finances that Massachusetts has.

Rather funny, we get a lot of folks moving up here from the city because the cost of living and the life style is so much better. They live like kings around here because their retirement is based on the over inflated city wages where they were accustomed to paying much higher taxes. Housing prices about 1/10 of what they are in the city as well.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dwoods87 View Post
    If you agree then there is no debate.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post

7,400 post of NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Question

[QUOTE=scfire86;1155274]Several of my fellow retirees moved to Texas. Believing that lower taxes would equate to a lower cost of living. Guess what? It hasn't. They were able to buy a bigger home, but monthly expenses are about the same as living here.

DUH! You upgrade the size of your house and complain that living expenses were the same as the smaller house! Your friends must be rocket scientists!!
    I have a friend in California with an 1,800 sq. foot house with no lot to speak of and I live in a colder climate in a house with 2.56 times the square footage on three acres with a swimming pool for about 2/3 of his monthly mortgage payment.
    Ghee, and other than my lower property taxes, I bet my monthly cost of living is similar to his.
    I wonder why?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post

Good Point. Sorry for butting in anyway. But, can you guys at least try to debate about the same thing. And after you kick it around a bit see if you come to any consensus. Ive been reading through this thread since it started and all of you guys seem pretty smart, on both sides of the arguement. and I was just thinking that maybe you can be a little more constructive.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    7,400 post of NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hummm, so if you are saying that I have 7,400 post of nothing to debate, then you must agree with me. Thanks

Forum Member

DUH! You upgrade the size of your house and complain that living expenses were the same as the smaller house! Your friends must be rocket scientists!!
    I have a friend in California with an 1,800 sq. foot house with no lot to speak of and I live in a colder climate in a house with 2.56 times the square footage on three acres with a swimming pool for about 2/3 of his monthly mortgage payment.
    Ghee, and other than my lower property taxes, I bet my monthly cost of living is similar to his.
    I wonder why?
    Sorry to hear that your friend had to settle for such a small home. My home is about twice the size of your friends with a yard that's big enough for a concrete pond. I don't need three acres. Especially now that both kids have moved out and are on their own. Plus I'm about 500' from PCH which literally runs along the coast.

Glad you enjoy where you live. But so do I. We'll manage in our cramped circumstances.

I didn't realize this was a measuring contest.
    Last edited by scfire86; 03-14-2010 at 11:23 PM.

Thread Information