Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. #1
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default On second thought...

    screw this site.

    I have far too much integrity to participate in a website where preferential treatment is given to:

    1. An anti-american maggot
    2. Someone who was banned from this site three times and has openly admitted it
    3. Someone who claims that he would let a baby burn to death instead of doing his job
    4. Someone who supports someone who committed an unspeakable act of terorrism
    5. People whose sole fun in life is to come on this forum and troll for the purpose of causing trouble.

    If you would like to participate in a web forum where REAL FF are discussing topics that are of interest to REAL FF, come on over to the IACOJ site.

    In fact, I'll tell you how great the site is; they won't let the Louisiana idiot or straw for brains join. That's my kind of site.

    PErhaps someday, if they ever bring this forum back to where it was, I'll come back. But with this band of bozos running the show, there is not a chance. This site will be an inconsequential joke in less than a year.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

  2. #2
    Forum Member
    JayDudley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    1,272

    Default Ta Ta

    Georgie...I never would have thought that you're a quitter!!!!
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

  3. #3
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,660

    Default

    Bye George. Have fun.

  4. #4
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    On a lake
    Posts
    5

    Default See Ya!!!

    Been nice....we'll enjoy the quiet.....
    Respectfully,
    Jay R. Dudley
    Fire Commissioner
    District #2

    "You never get a second chance at a first impression"

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    PaladinKnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,413

    Default

    George

    I have found myself frustrated many times over what I have read in these forums. But I decided that I would not let it get to me. I don't come here to fight. I don't come here to discuss religion or politics (generally). I don't come here to beat people up by telling them they are less than I am.

    I do support everyone's right to have an opinion, even if I believe it is misguided or incorrect. I do support the right for someone to state that opinion. I will even debate over some of those opinions, but I will not attack them or reduce myself to name calling.

    The Webteam has a massive responsibility. They try to not interfere and they must walk a consistant line. They must be neutral and have the ability to stay out of the discussions. I'm sure they read many things that they do not agreee with, but they must remain silent as to not tilt the scales.

    I come here to share and learn. I have to deal with real life issues everyday. I have to make decisions daily that may impact many lives; firefighters, the public, our families. With all the years that I have served in the Fire Service, you might think that I would know everything... but I do not. Sometimes answers do not come easily or without a price.

    I have come to accept that what I apply in the real world, may not be the real world to someone else. So I have to try to be understanding about what that real world must be like for others. I can't say that the way I do something is the only way, because clearly it isn't. So how can I tell someone they are wrong if I have not walked in their shoes?

    I see people that take these discussion way too personally, perhaps to an extreme. They make it a personal mission to seek and destroy others that they believe are inferior or different. Why? Because they think they know all the answers. I can't do that. I don't operate my department like that and I cannot in good conscience operate that way in public.

    I've seen individuals try to poison the well so to speak against others. Who gave you that right? Is that how you decide to live your life? Is that how your department operates? If it is, I feel sorry for those that have to put up with you. I see people restate over and over how you can't trust this guy or that guy because he is different, or they do not believe the same way we do, or he would not risk this or that. Who the hell made you the judge, juror and executioner?

    But George, you really need to calm down. If you spent as much time trying to enjoy yourself rather than constantly attacking others that you have differences with, then you might find you are more the same than different. Or did you forget why you decided to commit your life to helping others? Is your commitment limited to only those you agree with? If that insults you... I'm sorry, but you're the one flying off the handle.

    I don't care if you stay or go. It is your decision. While you have demonstrated experience and vast knowledge over time that has been of value to others, only you can decide if you're done. If you leave because you didn't get your way, then I do not know what to say but... Bye. I cannot always get my way. Sometimes the fire or other situation kicks my butt, but I must push on. It is all the same, isn't it. We chose to push on because that is what we do.

    I'm not going to judge anyone for what I believe is wrong, even you. You can hold whatever opinion of me that you wish. You'll be in good company. I have rubbed alot of people the wrong way over the years. But I always did what I beleived to be the correct thing; for the public I serve, for the guys I worked with, or the guys that serve in my command. I have always made my position clear on where I stand. I understand that I cannot change someone's mind by attacking them or trying to make a fool out of them.

    So if you choose to leave, it will be a loss felt by many. But there is nothing making you go or stay, but yourself. If you leave because you are tired of issues or someone, then why state it at all. That is like saying "I let them run me off".

    Good luck with your future missions, I wish you well.
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

  6. #6
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    21

    Default

    @PaladinKnight

    You are the classiest guy in these forums.

    Sir I salute you and would work with, or for, you any day...

  7. #7
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    656

    Default

    If the webteam had any brains, they'd remove the off topic section and not permit any religious or political discussion. There are plenty of forums on the internet for those incendiary topics.

    That being said, it's just the internet, don't take it too seriously. You can only try to change someones opinion so many times before you have to realize you're better of talking to a rock.

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    GTRider245's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Augusta,GA
    Posts
    3,064

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Firetacoma1 View Post
    If the webteam had any brains, they'd remove the off topic section and not permit any religious or political discussion. There are plenty of forums on the internet for those incendiary topics.

    That being said, it's just the internet, don't take it too seriously. You can only try to change someones opinion so many times before you have to realize you're better of talking to a rock.
    I disagree with your first point. If there was no off topic section the BS would find its way into the normal area of the forum.

    I agree with your second point. Some people get way too worked up over this stuff.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

    -Professional in Either Role-

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

  9. #9
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    656

    Default

    With visible moderation (more than 1 visit a month) the BS stuff could be omitted. I was formerly a moderator at a very well visited forum and we successfully implemented a ban on politics and religion. It made the whole forum a friendlier place to be.

  10. #10
    Forum Member
    FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    10,239

    Default

    Screw it, it just isn't worth it.
    Last edited by FyredUp; 02-22-2010 at 09:39 PM.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  11. #11
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    247

    Default

    Lack of moderation seems to be the root of most of the problems. When every other post is nothing but a personal attack against someone else it really causes things to degenerate.

    It would be nice to think that adults wouldn't need moderation, but if it is one thing that the internet has taught us is that it isn't possible to do without.

  12. #12
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    1,214

    Default

    this is based on the crap you find on the elementry school playground. tattling on each other is what its come to.....come on!

  13. #13
    Forum Member
    TruckSixFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    A Great place USA, which means not West Coast...!
    Posts
    246

    Default

    Webteam needs to just ban LaFire and Scarecrow and the site becomes much better. I cannot understand how they let these two guys run the show on here without any actions. Makes you wonder if they are on the webteam.....

    On another note, George this site seems like your life (13,000+ posts??) What the hell are you going to do with your life?
    FDNY 343 9/11/01 WILL Never Forget!

    (W-6)

    "We Lucky Few We Band of Brothers." William Shakespeare

    "let no man's ghost return to say his training let him down. "

    D-P-T

  14. #14
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,660

    Default

    Webteam needs to just ban LaFire and Scarecrow and the site becomes much better. I cannot understand how they let these two guys run the show on here without any actions. Makes you wonder if they are on the webteam....

    So exactly how do I run the show?

    I post about what I beleive in, and what I beleive is that a lot in the fire service should change.

    We are killing firefighters because of outdated thinking, outdated traditions, outdated tactics and the feeling that somehow all of this carries on the legacy of the fireman before us.

    Sorry that offends you.

    NIOSH seems to agree. Many of the USFA reports agree. Everyone Goes Home agrees.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 02-22-2010 at 10:06 PM.

  15. #15
    Forum Member
    TruckSixFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    A Great place USA, which means not West Coast...!
    Posts
    246

    Default

    Yeah that is not the problem, it is the other **** like when you say you would reprimand one of your guys for saving a child in a burning car, or you say you would let the same child burn up, because you are out of your dept's district. Or you poke fun/ pick out all the flaws of LODDs before the fallen brother(s) can even receive a proper funereal and respect they deserve. I agree with you that "Every One Goes Home." I have seen a lot of wreckless things happened on the fire ground but we risk a lot to save a lot, and we get the job done. Bro don't get me wrong I agree with you on your last post. A lot of things in the fire service need to change but not as drastically as your propose. I can openly say that I would like a lot to change in my dept. Are we overly traditional....I would say no because I take a lot pride in our tradition. We run almost a fire every other shift along with ALS EMS service where most of the dept is also paramedics. I wish we would take just as much pride in our ems work which is about 70% of our calls for my truck company/dept of 23 firehouses. That is where we differ.
    FDNY 343 9/11/01 WILL Never Forget!

    (W-6)

    "We Lucky Few We Band of Brothers." William Shakespeare

    "let no man's ghost return to say his training let him down. "

    D-P-T

  16. #16
    Forum Member
    snowball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Just North of South Central
    Posts
    2,740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Screw it, it just isn't worth it.
    I think it made a lot of sense. Sack up and put it back up bro.
    IAFF

  17. #17
    Forum Member
    johnny46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    2,094

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaladinKnight View Post
    George

    I have found myself ...
    TL;DR

    That looked very thoughtful. I think writing thoughtful letters to George is the saddest hobby I've ever seen.
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

  18. #18
    Forum Member
    FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    10,239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    I think it made a lot of sense. Sack up and put it back up bro.
    It's gone.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  19. #19
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Dickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,112

    Default

    Knight...

    You are spot on, well played sir!!!


    A wise old fire officer once told me in training "...those that anger you, control you."



    George....

    You know you can't leave this place alone. It's like a bad accident, you don't want to look but you have to!!
    Last edited by Dickey; 02-23-2010 at 12:47 AM.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

    IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

  20. #20
    makes good girls go bad
    BLSboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    On the beach, Fla/OCNJ
    Posts
    2,859

    Default

    I do agree with Georgie. I rarely come out and play here anymore. Just aint worth it.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

  21. #21
    Forum Member
    PaladinKnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,413

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Backwooder
    @PaladinKnight

    You are the classiest guy in these forums.

    Sir I salute you and would work with, or for, you any day...
    Thank you sir. But this isn't about me. It is a sad day when someone throws in the towel. We will all suffer since his knowledge and dedication will be missed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Firetacoma1
    With visible moderation (more than 1 visit a month) the BS stuff could be omitted. I was formerly a moderator at a very well visited forum and we successfully implemented a ban on politics and religion. It made the whole forum a friendlier place to be.
    You nailed it "visible moderation". Some seem to think that there is no moderation because they don't see it. I too have been a moderator in the past. But banning certain "tags" doesn't always work. The freedom of speech and exchange of ideas is hard to regulate in any forum. The rules are posted for all to see. Each of us make the decision what they can live with. Slamming or attacking is clearly a violation of the rules. Having a differing opinion is not.

    The Webteam does keep up with what is going on here, but perhaps not to the liking of some of the members. I guarantee that an attack on someone will get their attention faster than me stating my opinion. I find it amusing that some choose to bite the hand that feeds them; Attack the WT for doing their job, or lack of it depending on where you sit.


    Quote Originally Posted by auxman
    Lack of moderation seems to be the root of most of the problems. When every other post is nothing but a personal attack against someone else it really causes things to degenerate.
    I think we agree on this point because the attacks do get pretty old. But again, I believe the Webteam has taken the position that they will sit back and watch and not jump into every little situation. It is my impression that they do not wish to stymie freedom of expression, and even withhold judgement against some that repeatedly attack others, until it gets out of control, or someone complains. Do they always get it right? My opinion doesn't matter. The only opinion that matters is the operators of this forum.

    You said it best...

    It would be nice to think that adults wouldn't need moderation
    Heavy-handed Moderation would suggest that we must be treated like children. Maybe at times we should. But because we are all mostly adults, and we all share this common bond, one would tend to think that we are all on the same side and could act respectfully toward each other. Well that is reaching a bit too far isn't it? I'm sure that the Webteam gets tired of reading some of the hate and disrespect that finds it way here, just like alot of us do. But they don't seem to take it personally... why should we be different?

    Quote Originally Posted by MG3610
    this is based on the crap you find on the elementry school playground. tattling on each other is what its come to.....come on!
    Exactly.


    Quote Originally Posted by TruckSixFF
    Webteam needs to just ban LaFire and Scarecrow and the site becomes much better. I cannot understand how they let these two guys run the show on here without any actions. Makes you wonder if they are on the webteam.....
    Ban them? Based upon what? Your opinion? Here we go again. I thought we lived in a society of civilized people. Because these guys seem to get away with "running the show", they should be banned?

    I see it differently. I see an overwhelming number of people that go out of their way attacking these guys over the same crap time and time again. It is my opinion that some of the posts are nothing more than peer pressure by individuals that just wish to fit in, so they go with the crowd. It becomes a dogpile. Well they used to hang horse thieves without a trial too. Mob rule is not the kind of rule we live by. We don't allow it on our fire-ground. And judging from what I perceive as the Webteam's lack of action concerning the open debates and attacks, they do not agree with mob rule either. You can demand action, but it doesn't mean you will get satisfaction.

    And please understand, I respect that you and I do not agree on this point, but I will not try to persuade you to come to my thinking. See... that didn't hurt a bit. You are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine. We can still work together and do a damn good job when it matters.

    Suppose one day you find yourself the target of many other people's disdain. You can state your opinion all day long, but they do not have to listen if they don't want to. What if they decide that you don't fit in and you should be cast out? What if you find yourself standing alone? Do you see my point? Take this to the bank... if you need someone to stand next to you, I will. Not because we might have a common opinion, but because it is the right thing to do. Life is too short to become stressed over someone elses opinion.

    And here you made my point...

    I agree with you that "Every One Goes Home."
    Yes, we can agree with people on some issues even when we disagree on other issues. You stated that you agree that we need change, or you would seek change. The way you approach it might be different than the way I would choose, or how someone else would. But does that mean your always going to be right and you're opinion is the only one that counts.

    We when limit ourselves by wrapping up in our little comfort zone, when we choose to not listen or expand our knowledge, who are we really hurting? No one else cares, do they? We can only put limits on ourselves, whether it is caution of what we say, or how we conduct ourselves. We must be accountable for our actions.


    Quote Originally Posted by johnny46
    That looked very thoughtful. I think writing thoughtful letters to George is the saddest hobby I've ever seen.
    Thank you. I agree with you 100%. But I state a fact. His talent and knowledge will be missed. I share his frustration, but I don't know what is going through his mind. But it ticks me off when someone gets to the point that they give up. Over what? Because someone has a different view of the world? I can't go there with George. I don't know what every part of the world is like, so what I may think it is, does not mean it is.

    But yes, it is a sad hobby to try to help someone, even if it means you may risk something. That is what I do everyday of my life, as you do yourself.


    Quote Originally Posted by Dickey
    Knight...

    You are spot on, well played sir!!!

    A wise old fire officer once told me in training "...those that anger you, control you."
    Thank you sir... but this isn't about me. And I don't get hung up about whether I am right or wrong on issues here.

    I know that I must get it right everytime I make a decision where someone's life may depend on it. That is where it matters.

    But you are right about letting others control you. I am certain that some do not agree with what I have stated, and perhaps some are pretty upset with me. But I am in no way trying to control anyone.

    I'm not trying to tell anyone what to believe, what to do, or how to live their life... I just don't have that much power.

    If someone reacts to my opinion in a violent and hateful manner, they lose their compass and their focus is no longer on the issue, but their hate for me, because I am perhaps different.

    That is what has happened, nothing more, nothing less. We have lost focus, we have lost our compass, we have lost our way. All because of a disagreement of opinion, tactics, operational oversight, call it whatever you wish...

    I don't live my life by seeking to impress others with my talents, knowledge or past experiences. I do try to share with those that ask for help. I cannot help everyone because I do not know everything. That is why I choose to come here and spend a little of my spare time. I might actually learn something... and would that be a bad thing?

    Each of us made a decision to become a firefighter. Some of us have been around longer than others. It is easy to say that we would lay our life down if we could save a life. But would we really? Could we if we were starring certain death in the face?

    I can spend a little time telling you that I did that. Who cares? I could tell you that I should not be here to wake each morning, breath the air, play with my grandkids and do the things that I like to do. Would you care? Probably not. Did it make me special? No. Did it change my life. Yes. I chose to do what I knew in my mind was hopeless, and paid for it. I ignored the facts and went with my gut, and what I did not want to believe. We train to adapt and overcome. We train to use our instincts and brain. And we must use everything we have or we may die in vain.

    Right now, there is probably someone reading this that wishes that I didn't survive, because they do not agree with my opinion. And that is sad; that isn't my cross to bear... that is theirs, because they chose it. I can stand the attacks if the urge is just too great to resist. It might make someone feel better, and I will not get my feelings hurt; I promise. If someone does not agree, so what? My opinion can only affect someone if they let it bother them to the point that they choose to make it personal. So here is a chance to come out and play. I have not attacked anyone, but some may perceive that I have. I will still respect someone, and their opinion, who wishes to disagree.

    Do we really wish to decide who is a coward, or who is brave. I think anyone that makes the decision to become a firefighter has to have some courage. But do not confuse bravery with courage. And do not compare cowardice with bravery... they are not that far apart... a split-second and a decision is all that separates them. Even a very timid or scared individual can reach down into their inner core and find enough courage to make a difference. Fear is not something to be afraid of and admitting that you're scared does not mean you're a coward.


    FyredUp: I missed what you posted. I respect your opinion and I am sorry that I did not get to read it. I am sure it was thoughful and of value. You and I have been around long enough to understand that mistakes and misguided opinions can cost lives. We agree on that fact. But don't you also believe that we still have a duty to set an example for the guys that follow us as they pursue their mission? You and I do not have to agree on every aspect of what we do, or how we do it. We do not have to agree 100% on tactics or the hundreds of different scenarios that we have encountered. We do not have to agree that the sun is shining or the moon is made of cheese. But we can agree that we both have survived in this business by becoming smarter and better out of neccessity. I respect who you are, what you stand for and your dedication to service. I respect your opinion, but I ask nothing of you in return. That is your choice to make. I would fight side by side with you into the depths of hell if you asked me to go with you. It would not be conditional if it was only a passing thought or even a very bad idea. I have enough respect for what I have seen you stand for that I know you would have my back, as I would have yours. We must train the way we must fight... and that could be vastly different in someone elses back yard.

    ------------------------------------------------

    George... if you decide to give this another try, great. I am sure that most will be pleased. I know that your contribution will be welcomed. We all have had our bad days... you're damn sure entitled to one yourself.



    And once again, I yield the floor to:

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickey
    It's like a bad accident, you don't want to look but you have to!!
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

  22. #22
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Canuck Expat May be anywhere
    Posts
    2,906

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaladinKnight View Post
    Thank you sir. But this isn't about me. It is a sad day when someone throws in the towel. We will all suffer since his knowledge and dedication will be missed.



    You nailed it "visible moderation". Some seem to think that there is no moderation because they don't see it. I too have been a moderator in the past. But banning certain "tags" doesn't always work. The freedom of speech and exchange of ideas is hard to regulate in any forum. The rules are posted for all to see. Each of us make the decision what they can live with. Slamming or attacking is clearly a violation of the rules. Having a differing opinion is not.

    The Webteam does keep up with what is going on here, but perhaps not to the liking of some of the members. I guarantee that an attack on someone will get their attention faster than me stating my opinion. I find it amusing that some choose to bite the hand that feeds them; Attack the WT for doing their job, or lack of it depending on where you sit.




    I think we agree on this point because the attacks do get pretty old. But again, I believe the Webteam has taken the position that they will sit back and watch and not jump into every little situation. It is my impression that they do not wish to stymie freedom of expression, and even withhold judgement against some that repeatedly attack others, until it gets out of control, or someone complains. Do they always get it right? My opinion doesn't matter. The only opinion that matters is the operators of this forum.

    You said it best...



    Heavy-handed Moderation would suggest that we must be treated like children. Maybe at times we should. But because we are all mostly adults, and we all share this common bond, one would tend to think that we are all on the same side and could act respectfully toward each other. Well that is reaching a bit too far isn't it? I'm sure that the Webteam gets tired of reading some of the hate and disrespect that finds it way here, just like alot of us do. But they don't seem to take it personally... why should we be different?



    Exactly.




    Ban them? Based upon what? Your opinion? Here we go again. I thought we lived in a society of civilized people. Because these guys seem to get away with "running the show", they should be banned?

    I see it differently. I see an overwhelming number of people that go out of their way attacking these guys over the same crap time and time again. It is my opinion that some of the posts are nothing more than peer pressure by individuals that just wish to fit in, so they go with the crowd. It becomes a dogpile. Well they used to hang horse thieves without a trial too. Mob rule is not the kind of rule we live by. We don't allow it on our fire-ground. And judging from what I perceive as the Webteam's lack of action concerning the open debates and attacks, they do not agree with mob rule either. You can demand action, but it doesn't mean you will get satisfaction.

    And please understand, I respect that you and I do not agree on this point, but I will not try to persuade you to come to my thinking. See... that didn't hurt a bit. You are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine. We can still work together and do a damn good job when it matters.

    Suppose one day you find yourself the target of many other people's disdain. You can state your opinion all day long, but they do not have to listen if they don't want to. What if they decide that you don't fit in and you should be cast out? What if you find yourself standing alone? Do you see my point? Take this to the bank... if you need someone to stand next to you, I will. Not because we might have a common opinion, but because it is the right thing to do. Life is too short to become stressed over someone elses opinion.

    And here you made my point...



    Yes, we can agree with people on some issues even when we disagree on other issues. You stated that you agree that we need change, or you would seek change. The way you approach it might be different than the way I would choose, or how someone else would. But does that mean your always going to be right and you're opinion is the only one that counts.

    We when limit ourselves by wrapping up in our little comfort zone, when we choose to not listen or expand our knowledge, who are we really hurting? No one else cares, do they? We can only put limits on ourselves, whether it is caution of what we say, or how we conduct ourselves. We must be accountable for our actions.




    Thank you. I agree with you 100%. But I state a fact. His talent and knowledge will be missed. I share his frustration, but I don't know what is going through his mind. But it ticks me off when someone gets to the point that they give up. Over what? Because someone has a different view of the world? I can't go there with George. I don't know what every part of the world is like, so what I may think it is, does not mean it is.

    But yes, it is a sad hobby to try to help someone, even if it means you may risk something. That is what I do everyday of my life, as you do yourself.




    Thank you sir... but this isn't about me. And I don't get hung up about whether I am right or wrong on issues here.

    I know that I must get it right everytime I make a decision where someone's life may depend on it. That is where it matters.

    But you are right about letting others control you. I am certain that some do not agree with what I have stated, and perhaps some are pretty upset with me. But I am in no way trying to control anyone.

    I'm not trying to tell anyone what to believe, what to do, or how to live their life... I just don't have that much power.

    If someone reacts to my opinion in a violent and hateful manner, they lose their compass and their focus is no longer on the issue, but their hate for me, because I am perhaps different.

    That is what has happened, nothing more, nothing less. We have lost focus, we have lost our compass, we have lost our way. All because of a disagreement of opinion, tactics, operational oversight, call it whatever you wish...

    I don't live my life by seeking to impress others with my talents, knowledge or past experiences. I do try to share with those that ask for help. I cannot help everyone because I do not know everything. That is why I choose to come here and spend a little of my spare time. I might actually learn something... and would that be a bad thing?

    Each of us made a decision to become a firefighter. Some of us have been around longer than others. It is easy to say that we would lay our life down if we could save a life. But would we really? Could we if we were starring certain death in the face?

    I can spend a little time telling you that I did that. Who cares? I could tell you that I should not be here to wake each morning, breath the air, play with my grandkids and do the things that I like to do. Would you care? Probably not. Did it make me special? No. Did it change my life. Yes. I chose to do what I knew in my mind was hopeless, and paid for it. I ignored the facts and went with my gut, and what I did not want to believe. We train to adapt and overcome. We train to use our instincts and brain. And we must use everything we have or we may die in vain.

    Right now, there is probably someone reading this that wishes that I didn't survive, because they do not agree with my opinion. And that is sad; that isn't my cross to bear... that is theirs, because they chose it. I can stand the attacks if the urge is just too great to resist. It might make someone feel better, and I will not get my feelings hurt; I promise. If someone does not agree, so what? My opinion can only affect someone if they let it bother them to the point that they choose to make it personal. So here is a chance to come out and play. I have not attacked anyone, but some may perceive that I have. I will still respect someone, and their opinion, who wishes to disagree.

    Do we really wish to decide who is a coward, or who is brave. I think anyone that makes the decision to become a firefighter has to have some courage. But do not confuse bravery with courage. And do not compare cowardice with bravery... they are not that far apart... a split-second and a decision is all that separates them. Even a very timid or scared individual can reach down into their inner core and find enough courage to make a difference. Fear is not something to be afraid of and admitting that you're scared does not mean you're a coward.


    FyredUp: I missed what you posted. I respect your opinion and I am sorry that I did not get to read it. I am sure it was thoughful and of value. You and I have been around long enough to understand that mistakes and misguided opinions can cost lives. We agree on that fact. But don't you also believe that we still have a duty to set an example for the guys that follow us as they pursue their mission? You and I do not have to agree on every aspect of what we do, or how we do it. We do not have to agree 100% on tactics or the hundreds of different scenarios that we have encountered. We do not have to agree that the sun is shining or the moon is made of cheese. But we can agree that we both have survived in this business by becoming smarter and better out of neccessity. I respect who you are, what you stand for and your dedication to service. I respect your opinion, but I ask nothing of you in return. That is your choice to make. I would fight side by side with you into the depths of hell if you asked me to go with you. It would not be conditional if it was only a passing thought or even a very bad idea. I have enough respect for what I have seen you stand for that I know you would have my back, as I would have yours. We must train the way we must fight... and that could be vastly different in someone elses back yard.

    ------------------------------------------------

    George... if you decide to give this another try, great. I am sure that most will be pleased. I know that your contribution will be welcomed. We all have had our bad days... you're damn sure entitled to one yourself.



    And once again, I yield the floor to:
    Well said Sir. You truly epitomise the Term " An Officer and a Gentleman"

  23. #23
    Banned

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TruckSixFF View Post
    Webteam needs to just ban LaFire and Scarecrow and the site becomes much better. I cannot understand how they let these two guys run the show on here without any actions. Makes you wonder if they are on the webteam.....

    On another note, George this site seems like your life (13,000+ posts??) What the hell are you going to do with your life?
    So make believe that which is unpleasant to hear doesn't really exist???? That would be the classic definition of ignorance.

    We state our opinions. I don't believe that any professional responding in a fire truck should every wreck enroute to a call causing injury to his fellow fire fighters and sometimes death. I think that sometimes the egos and heroes wanna be syndrome gets in the way of common sense and people lose their lives because of it. I also have no use for the "We have always done it this way" which is right in line with "No one has been hurt yet" philosophy. Just because you have always done it that way or no one has been hurt yet doesn't make it right. I could give numerous examples, but I won't. If I am a bad person because I don't want to see another LODD then that is a label I can live with. If I am a bad person for realizing that the fire service is just one of hundreds of services offered by various governments; then so be it. I understand and realize that the world does not revolve around the fire service; it is good for anyone involved in the service to understand that as well. Once you know your place in life and within the system you will then understand the decisions that are made that effect you. And this holds true for any job.

    So the real issue isn't to discriminate against a few, but rather to understand the diversity. The more opinions one examines the better formed the solution to any problem will be. If you have been exposed to a brainstorming session you would understand this. In brainstorming all participants are encouraged to offer up ideas and solutions, even if they feel they are ridiculous or silly. Sometimes, those silly solutions are the best solutions and not so silly after all.

  24. #24
    Banned

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    screw this site.

    I have far too much integrity to participate in a website where preferential treatment is given to:

    1. An anti-american maggot
    2. Someone who was banned from this site three times and has openly admitted it
    3. Someone who claims that he would let a baby burn to death instead of doing his job
    4. Someone who supports someone who committed an unspeakable act of terorrism
    5. People whose sole fun in life is to come on this forum and troll for the purpose of causing trouble.
    I don't know who the first three are.

    However, I suspect that number 4 is directed at me. For the record, I don't support what Joseph Stack did. I can understand it and I understand the anger that exists with our government as it exists. Just like investigators understand the criminals they investigate, I understand what motivated this person.

    Secondly, I don't troll to cause trouble. I respond when I see people ignoring other aspects of the issue. There are those who feel that the world revolves around the Fire Service; There is no way that funding should be cut, manpower reduced, or stations closed. The reality is that the fire service is one small piece of a much bigger system. I also have a problem with LODDs, I don't want to see another one, if that makes me a bad person then that is a label I can live with; and hopefully so can every other fire fighter.

  25. #25
    Forum Member
    johnny46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    2,094

    Default

    Aren't we getting a little "General Hospital" over this crap?

    Yes, great sentiments, but sweet Odin's Raven.
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Not a 'Capture this picture’ but a funny thought
    By Drathe in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-02-2007, 05:38 PM
  2. New to the thought...suggestions?
    By ZmanCarLvr in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-04-2004, 09:00 AM
  3. Really Random Thought...
    By Dalmatian90 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-14-2004, 04:41 PM
  4. Food For Thought - Loosely Baird Related...
    By MalahatTwo7 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-30-2002, 01:12 AM
  5. Just A Thought
    By firefightermatt in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-15-2001, 07:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register