Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Bangor Ladders

Forum Member

Default Bangor Ladders

Curious how many depts. still actively use Bangor ladders.

MembersZone Subscriber

Don't carry anything larger than a 35 foot extension. We only have a few buildings that are over two stories and we have 3 aerial ladders to help with that. And thank goodness we don't have Bangors!
    Last edited by zzyyzx; 02-23-2010 at 09:48 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Unfortunately for whatever reason, our latest two quints have 35' bangors instead of just plain 35' 3 section like we've used previously. Prior to that, we had no bangors remaining on the front line. Certainly a waste of manpower having a 35' bangor over a plain 35' IMHO as what we used to do with 3 now requires 4.

40'+ bangors had been removed from our line long ago. Although one of my most memorable moments in my academy was doing the church raise with a 40' bangor and climbing up and over the top.
    FTM-PTB-RFB
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Our truck has a 45' bangor. We train on it, and everyone in the department is *somewhat* proficient with it. But, we just never have the manpower on the truck necessary to raise it.
    zachary_phillips likes this.

Back In Black

We have one, we train on it...

I really don't think you'd ever see it get used.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Unfortunately the truck companies that I served on were all quints. Unfortunate because of the fact that the damn pump and tank took up valuable ground ladder storage space. As a company officer, if I had a bangor ladder on board my unit, I would damn well make sure my boys were proficient in it's use- Deployment of a 40-50' bangor in conjunction with the main aerial could mean the difference between life and death at a major fire involving an occupied multiple dwelling.

Look at pictures of fires in Boston.......Nuff said.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

We have some..Years ago had a couple 50's

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Unfortunately the truck companies that I served on were all quints. Unfortunate because of the fact that the damn pump and tank took up valuable ground ladder storage space. As a company officer, if I had a bangor ladder on board my unit, I would damn well make sure my boys were proficient in it's use- Deployment of a 40-50' bangor in conjunction with the main aerial could mean the difference between life and death at a major fire involving an occupied multiple dwelling.

Don't need 'em. But that "damn pump and tank" DIDN'T prevent us from putting a good selection of grounders on our TRUCK. Not to mention the aluminum farm on the Engines. Get over it,it can be able to protect itself AND STILL HAVE LADDERS! Whiteboard! T.C.

Forum Member

Have one. Train with it. Never used it on scene yet.
    "You see things and you ask, 'Why'? I dream of things that never were and I say, 'Why not'?

"I used to work in a fire hydrant factory. You couldn't park anywhere near the place."

"When you are kind to someone in trouble, you hope they'll remember and be kind to someone else. And it'll become like a wildfire."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post

That musta just been a bad design then. We have a quint, 2000 GPM Pump and 300 Gallon tank and manage to fit these ladders in:

1 - 45' Bangor
    1 - 3 section 35'
    1 - 2 section 35'
    1 - 2 section 24'
    1 - 20 foot roof ladder
    1 - 16 foot roof ladder
    1 - 10 foot roof ladder
    1 - 10 foot folding attic ladder

Forum Member

Buff,See,there's ANOTHER! Personally if it's over 35',it's SUPPOSED to have LEVERS,hehe T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Buff,See,there's ANOTHER! Personally if it's over 35',it's SUPPOSED to have LEVERS,hehe T.C.
    And a second steering wheel............
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

No thanks! Don't have a second wheel holder. T.C.

Forum Member

Our department got rid of the only one we had left years ago. Sometimes its not a matter of how much space is wasted on your truck or that its a complete and total P.I.A. to deploy. As much as I hate them, if you have a multi-level taxpayer as found in many historic districts with overhead power lines, your arial device may not be able to operate affectively. Another thing to consider are townhomes that are 2 storys on the street side, but have a walk out basement making it 3 story around back. I'd like to see them as a thing of the past, but it all comes down to the needs of the first due. Just my thoughts...
    Matt G.
    Battalion Chief
    IACOJ-Member
    FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fyrmnk View Post
    Although one of my most memorable moments in my academy was doing the church raise with a 40' bangor and climbing up and over the top.
    Yep - I remember doing the same thing...really makes you put your faith in your fellow firefighters!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ATFDFF View Post
    That musta just been a bad design then. We have a quint, 2000 GPM Pump and 300 Gallon tank and manage to fit these ladders in:

1 - 45' Bangor
    1 - 3 section 35'
    1 - 2 section 35'
    1 - 2 section 24'
    1 - 20 foot roof ladder
    1 - 16 foot roof ladder
    1 - 10 foot roof ladder
    1 - 10 foot folding attic ladder
    I assume you have a tandem axle quint? I wouldn't think you could fit that on a single axle 75 footer. Or did you?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ENG103 View Post
    I assume you have a tandem axle quint? I wouldn't think you could fit that on a single axle 75 footer. Or did you?
    You'd be right. Tandem axel, 105' stick with no platform.

MembersZone Subscriber

Every Truck carries them in our department. They're just called 45's here and recruits learn to throw them and climb them on a 90 degree angle and a couple of classes have had their paycheck affixed to the top rung on payday to see if the recruit wanted it bad enough. They've been the only ladder able to reach civilians and Firemen over years in the rare occasion they've been deployed.

Forum Member

Every truck here carries a 50' and they get used fairly regularly.
    Just a typical moronic, childish, idiotic munchkin.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have bangors on our older reserve ladder companies. We dont actively use them.

I think Chicago still uses them.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fieldseng2 View Post
    We have bangors on our older reserve ladder companies. We dont actively use them.

I think Chicago still uses them.
    Yes, Chicago uses them VERY frequently.

Forum Member

I trained on and used them in years past but haven't used one since about 1995.

Quote Originally Posted by R1SAlum
    a couple of classes have had their paycheck affixed to the top rung on payday
    That happened to me. I made a few extra bucks since several paid me $5 dollars to shag theirs when I was up there. I made three trips, before a Captain put a stop to it.

Considering that we were only paid about $6 per hour (1978), and it took me about five minutes to climb up, find the right paycheck and climb down... I thought I could make about 1/2 of my paycheck in a hour.

So much for free-enterprise.
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Forum Member

we have one on our truck ...........40' I think .........
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

I like milk...

A friend of mine claims he saw a guy in Seattle throw a 45' or a 50' by himself. He also mentioned that he had to take time off to let his back heal after. Not sure if it is true or not. I think it is plausible sine they had me throw a 35' by myself and I was only an cadet/explorer then.

(it was tough but I did it. And there were two people standing next to me to make sure I did not kill anyone.)

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by pasobuff View Post
    Yep - I remember doing the same thing...really makes you put your faith in your fellow firefighters!
    16 years later and I'd do it again in a heartbeat with my current crew. The 4 years previous to that date I had no clue how to use an FD ground ladder as sad as that is.

But still wish I didn't have the new ground ladder we have (bangor).
    Do love ground ladders, just think they need be tailor made to crew staffing for all rigs they are on.
    FTM-PTB-RFB
    IACOJ

Thread Information