Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default FDNY hiring and military

Being a firefighter for the FDNY has always been something i have wanted to do, but now it is looking like its almost impossible to get in. I was wondering if i take the test in January 2010, and then join the army, would i be able to get the job on hold or something while i am in the service(if by some chance they call), and have the job when i get out?

Would i be able to retake it the next time it comes around when I'm out of the army and have extra points this time?

Or should i just wait until i am discharged and THEN take the test

I'm not sure if these are stupid questions, lol....but i had to ask because I'm having a hard time deciding what would be my best option.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jos552 View Post
    Being a firefighter for the FDNY has always been something i have wanted to do, but now it is looking like its almost impossible to get in. I was wondering if i take the test in January 2010, and then join the army, would i be able to get the job on hold or something while i am in the service(if by some chance they call), and have the job when i get out?

Would i be able to retake it the next time it comes around when I'm out of the army and have extra points this time?

I'm not sure if these are stupid questions, lol....but i had to ask because I'm having a hard time deciding what would be my best option.
    Hopefully Vinny sees this...he could answer your questions but I beleive you must enlist in NY to get the credit.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Bump... Can you re take the fdny written?

Forum Member

yeah you can take it as many times as you like as long as you are no older than 29 by the first day of the filing period. if you are a veteran you can use the amount of years you served in your favor if you are older than 29, but i think the max is 6 years past the cutoff age.

Gosh I hope you mean January 2011 because your post is definitely past January 2010 and if it was January 2010 I'm going to be very ****ed off because I was hoping to test in January 2011 like their website says lol.

Uhm I'm not sure, and I dont think it matters where you enlist at, I've never heard of a place EVER saying "Your military service has to have a home of record in this state" My home of record isnt New York but I get out of the Marines this June and plan on making my home New York between then and testing date in order to test for FDNY.

I think if you tested and then joined and was say Army Reserves with a unit in New York or New York National Guard that might get you brownie points.

Good Luck, and maybe we will cross pathes at testing next year.

Quote Originally Posted by mgkusmc View Post
    Gosh I hope you mean January 2011 because your post is definitely past January 2010 and if it was January 2010 I'm going to be very ****ed off because I was hoping to test in January 2011 like their website says lol.

Uhm I'm not sure, and I dont think it matters where you enlist at, I've never heard of a place EVER saying "Your military service has to have a home of record in this state" My home of record isnt New York but I get out of the Marines this June and plan on making my home New York between then and testing date in order to test for FDNY.

I think if you tested and then joined and was say Army Reserves with a unit in New York or New York National Guard that might get you brownie points.

Good Luck, and maybe we will cross pathes at testing next year.
    Hey Devil Dog,
    A lot of states that wave tuition for vets to attend state schools only do so for folks that enlisted as residents of said state. While I do believe that FDNY does not do so with the military credit, I would not be surprised if it turns out that they do.
    Semper Fi!
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Credit for military service is something some employers will give. But it is NOT the same thing as Veteran status.

There is no law that says any company must give "extra credit" to people who were in the military. There is however a law that says companies do have to handle a Veterans application differently. Serving in the military does not make you a veteran.

With that in mind, if you do in fact get Veteran status, then the FDNY will recognize that, and it makes no difference where you enlisted. I am not sure if the FDNY gives any credit for simply being in the military. If they do, they may very well have a requirement that you had to have enlisted in NY. But i do not know for sure.

[QUOTE=WD6956;1153344]Credit for military service is something some employers will give. But it is NOT the same thing as Veteran status.

There is no law that says any company must give "extra credit" to people who were in the military. There is however a law that says companies do have to handle a Veterans application differently. Serving in the military does not make you a veteran.

Then what does it make you? If you have a Honorable Discharge from the military then you are referred to as a Veteran. Guys with less than an honorable, don't get considered. Why should they be?
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

[QUOTE=CaptOldTimer;1153818]
    Quote Originally Posted by WD6956 View Post
    Credit for military service is something some employers will give. But it is NOT the same thing as Veteran status.

Then what does it make you? If you have a Honorable Discharge from the military then you are referred to as a Veteran. Guys with less than an honorable, don't get considered. Why should they be?
    Ooops I was told wrongly...my mistake.

FTM-PTB
    Last edited by FFFRED; 03-07-2010 at 11:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jos552 View Post

You get to claim vets credit once you are a vet. You MUST do atleast two years active service and not for training. It doesn't matter where you enlist....or serve. Being in the Guard there are not extra points. You get 5 for service and maybe another 5 for being a disabled vet....you can get up to 30% disability and still get hired....anyone who earned the Purple Heart gets an automatic 30% from the VA anyway....but lets try to avoid that! If you are in the military when called....then you HAVE too contact the FDNY and ask to be put on the speical military list....they will hold your list number and your seniorty starts from that date. YOu'll have to provide the city with papers to prove you are in the military when called. You have until the age of 36 to get called...BUT as long as you where called before your 36th B-Day then you are ok.....I worked with a guy who did 20 years Active duty in the Marine Corps and got on at age 39. PM me if you need something else.

Good Luck
    IACOJ Member

[QUOTE=FFFRED;1153827]
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post

You have to serve in combat or deployment. The guys in the service can explain it better than me...but there is criteria for getting the credit. Signing up and doing 3 years as a clerk in Minot, SD doesn't necessarilly get you points.

FTM-PTB
    No you don't. Vinnie explained it. I was in from 58 to 64 and got vet preference when I applied for the job.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

[QUOTE=CaptOldTimer;1153844]
    Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED View Post

No you don't. Vinnie explained it. I was in from 58 to 64 and got vet preference when I applied for the job.
    Currently, you need to meet certain criteria in order to be considered for veterans preference points.

Quote Originally Posted by military.com
    5-Point Preference

Five points are added to the passing examination score or rating of a veteran who served:

* During a war; or
    * During the period April 28, 1952 through July 1, 1955; or
    * For more than 180 consecutive days, other than for training, any part of which occurred after January 31, 1955, and before October 15, 1976; or
    * During the Gulf War from August 2, 1990, through January 2, 1992; or
    * For more than 180 consecutive days, other than for training, any part of which occurred during the period beginning September 11, 2001, and ending on the date prescribed by Presidential proclamation or by law as the last day of Operation Iraqi Freedom; or
    * In a campaign or expedition for which a campaign medal has been authorized. Any Armed Forces Expeditionary medal or campaign badge, including El Salvador, Lebanon, Grenada, Panama, Southwest Asia, Somalia, and Haiti, qualifies for preference.

A campaign medal holder or Gulf War veteran who originally enlisted after September 7, 1980, (or began active duty on or after October 14, 1982, and has not previously completed 24 months of continuous active duty) must have served continuously for 24 months or the full period called or ordered to active duty. The 24-month service requirement does not apply to 10-point preference eligibles separated for disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty, or to veterans separated for hardship or other reasons under 10 U.S.C. 1171 or 1173.
    10-Point Preference

Ten points are added to the passing examination score of:

* A veteran who served any time and who (1) has a present service- connected disability or (2) is receiving compensation, disability retirement benefits, or pension from the military or the Department of Veterans Affairs. Individuals who received a Purple Heart qualify as disabled veterans.
    * An unmarried spouse of certain deceased veterans, a spouse of a veteran unable to work because of a service-connected disability, and
    * A mother of a veteran who died in service or who is permanently and totally disabled.
    Source: http://www.military.com/benefits/vet...ference-points

-Damien

[QUOTE=DFurtman;1155949]
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Currently, you need to meet certain criteria in order to be considered for veterans preference points.

Source: http://www.military.com/benefits/vet...ference-points

-Damien
    That is true, but for federal civil service, not necessarily FDNY- NYC civil service, as anyone who served 1955-1976 is going to be to old to apply in the first place.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Alright. I saw this thread when I was about to start one for NYC veterans preference with DCAS. I am currently a provisional employee with NYC DOT. We haven't had a test in a while and we are about to have one. With my veterans points I will jump a lot of guys. There is only about 220 people in my title and I could jump like 30+ spots which is like 4 years worth of hires. So there is a lot of jealousy. A couple guys came up to me today that knew I was going for the FDNY. They swore up and down that if I use my veterans for this test with the DOT then I won't be eligible to use it for FDNY.

I wrote them off as just trying to trick me. I know that once you use it for a test you can't use it for a promotional later. I was pretty sure that I could use it once for both agencies. But they did get me thinking. I will attempt to get a clarification from DCAS but if anyone has dealt with them in the past you know its easier said than done. I am behind the bullet on my decision too, because the test is a "Education and Experience" exam so there is no actual test you send in a work and education history when you fiel and they award points according to that. And filing is April 7th.

Using it for the DOT could mean nice seniority, but using it for the FDNY could be the difference of getting the job.

If anyone has any clarification on this please let me know.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KyleGNYC View Post
    Alright. I saw this thread when I was about to start one for NYC veterans preference with DCAS. I am currently a provisional employee with NYC DOT. We haven't had a test in a while and we are about to have one. With my veterans points I will jump a lot of guys. There is only about 220 people in my title and I could jump like 30+ spots which is like 4 years worth of hires. So there is a lot of jealousy. A couple guys came up to me today that knew I was going for the FDNY. They swore up and down that if I use my veterans for this test with the DOT then I won't be eligible to use it for FDNY.

I wrote them off as just trying to trick me. I know that once you use it for a test you can't use it for a promotional later. I was pretty sure that I could use it once for both agencies. But they did get me thinking. I will attempt to get a clarification from DCAS but if anyone has dealt with them in the past you know its easier said than done. I am behind the bullet on my decision too, because the test is a "Education and Experience" exam so there is no actual test you send in a work and education history when you fiel and they award points according to that. And filing is April 7th.

Using it for the DOT could mean nice seniority, but using it for the FDNY could be the difference of getting the job.

If anyone has any clarification on this please let me know.
    Well I just got off the phone with the VA rep at DCAS. I can only use my points once. I also sat down with some guys who know the inns and outs of this civil service test we are taking in April. I would jump about 55 people out of 220. Which would be huge. But I can only use veterans points once. I will be waiting for FDNY.

And take it for what it's worth but she told me it's looking like the new test will be Jan 2011. I know some don't want to believe it but I did just get off the phone with DCAS.

Forum Member

I have decided I want to become a Firefighter, but 2011 is the last year I can take the test. I would like to get all my ducks in a row, so when the test comes, I have everything ready. I have looked all over the FDNY website and gathered all the information on there I can. I am still unclear on a few things like, where do I find the application? Where do I sign up for the fit test? Probationary School?; stuff like that. If anyone could shed some light on the topic and help a guy out, that would be great. I think my email is on my profile if anyone wants to contact me through that also. Hope to hear from someone soon. Talk to you later.

Thread Information