MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Exclamation Do I Hear One Million For Superman? One Million? Anyone?

Mint Superman fetches $1 million

Reuters February 23, 2010

A very rare, first edition Superman comic book in top condition sold yesterday for a record $1 million in a public sale held by website ComicConnect.com.

Owners of the website said the book, Action Comics #1, was first published in June 1938 and introduced the crime-fighting superhero to fans, describing how he was born on a different planet and came to Earth.

The comic book also introduces Superman's alter ego Clark Kent's love interest, Lois Lane.

Stephen Fishler, ComicConnect.com founder, said the comic is one of only around 100 in existence and that a scant two or three are in a similar unrestored, high-grade condition.

"If not this book, it may be 10 or 20 years before another one like it would be offered," Fishler said.

Fishler said the book was last on the market 15 years ago when it fetched $150,000.

The current buyer chose to remain anonymous.

The $1 million is more than three times the previous record of $317,000 that ComicConnect fetched for a lower-grade Action Comics #1 book last year.

Back in 1938, the comic sold for 10 cents.

Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist

Forum Member

I saw that and cringed. I had a lot of comic books from the 50's that would be worth thousands had I kept them.

Who knew the day would come when comic books and baseball cards would become cellulose and cardboard pork bellies.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Banned

That is right up there with all of the baseball cards that went through my bicycle spokes. Mickey Mantle, big deal,,,, We were more interested in getting the gum than some silly baseball player. I often wonder how many millions went through the spokes of bicycles.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ya, I had similar thoughts too. And thoughts of my Hot Wheels auto carrier and aircraft carrier, that were "One-Time Only" issues. My mom gave them away to the neighbours kids one year while I was away for the summer. Both sets had the original cars and a/c to go with. Sigh. Oh well.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    ... and aircraft carrier, that were "One-Time Only" issues.
    Awe man! You mentioned that and memories came flooding back of hours and hours of time spent with that thing. I had forgotten all about it!

Can't believe it's a collectable now.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by yjbrody64 View Post
    Awe man! You mentioned that and memories came flooding back of hours and hours of time spent with that thing. I had forgotten all about it!

Can't believe it's a collectable now.
    Not only collectable, but very very very rare, especially if all the bits are with it, and something in the range of 250,000 if its complete. Even more if its still "in-the-box". (Ya! Like mine EVER stayed in a box! hahahahaahaa)
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    Ya, I had similar thoughts too. And thoughts of my Hot Wheels auto carrier and aircraft carrier, that were "One-Time Only" issues. My mom gave them away to the neighbours kids one year while I was away for the summer. Both sets had the original cars and a/c to go with. Sigh. Oh well.
    Ohh. yea, how about those original Hess trucks that got buried in a sand pile somewhere...

Thread Information