1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    271

    Default Radios for Chief Officers Personal Vehicle

    The 2009 Program Guidance states the following:

    “We will not fund mobile radios for personally owned vehicles, with the exception of the chief fire officer’s personal vehicle if adequately justified in the application.”

    However, because Chief officers in the volunteer service tend to change every year (if not more frequently), it seems inefficient to install a mobile radio in the chief's personal vehicle.

    Has anybody had any success in justifying a portable radio for a chief's personal vehicle?

  2. #2
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    SW MO
    Posts
    4,249

    Default

    Here's the question I've always had for that; is it the chief's personal vehicle, as in the one he owns, or is it the department vehicle he's been assigned and can use for personal use?

  3. #3
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    271

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    Here's the question I've always had for that; is it the chief's personal vehicle, as in the one he owns, or is it the department vehicle he's been assigned and can use for personal use?
    A department owned chief's vehicle is considered to be part of the apparatus fleet and the seated riding positions in this type of vehicle count towards the number of SCBA or radio.

    The particular statement I copied from the guidance is referring to personally owned vehicles.

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    nmfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Posts
    5,738

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by davepa View Post
    Has anybody had any success in justifying a portable radio for a chief's personal vehicle?
    Your statement cancels itself out. It is a portable radio. They don't get installed anywhere. They're portable and have nothing to do with vehicles. You would justify as being the portable radio assigned to the chief.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    SLY4420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,022

    Default

    Absolutely untrue.

    Quote Originally Posted by The AFG Program Guidance
    Under the AFG, DHS will limit funding for portable radios to the number of
    seated positions based on the applicant’s firefighting vehicle fleet unless otherwise
    justified in the narrative, and will only fund the number of mobile radios required to equip
    the vehicle inventory listed in the application.

  6. #6
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Posts
    1,728

    Default

    It's also the number of seats with the exception of the NFPA minimum, so all pumpers get 4 portables even if there are only 2 seats in it. Same as SCBA. The reason for that count is that we only tend to assign 1 portable to a 2 FF team so with 4 on a truck only 1 radio is needed in the back which frees up one to get assigned to a line officer.

    Also remember the adequately justified part, if you'd rather request a portable for a chief instead of a mobile for their POV then just has to be explained. Dept in PA put 12V chargers for the officers and their POVs, even with those that had chief's cars. Charger had a speaker, mic, and external antenna so it could be used as a mobile with better reception than the portable by itself if needed.

    Or could just install the mobile with magnetic mount antenna and cigarette plug for power instead of hardwiring everything to make it easy to move around.

  7. #7
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    271

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    Your statement cancels itself out. It is a portable radio. They don't get installed anywhere. They're portable and have nothing to do with vehicles. You would justify as being the portable radio assigned to the chief.
    NMFire

    See Sly's post above...

    I'll also be more specific...department X currently has 10 riding positions on its apparatus fleet and only 5 portable radios. The department wants to submit a request for an additional 5 portable radios to ensure that every seated riding position has a radio. In addition, the department does not own a command vehicle and the chief fire officer responds to fire calls in his personal vehicle. AFG program guidance states that a mobile radio for a chief officer's personal vehicle is acceptable. However, the department would like to request an additional portable radio to be used by the chief while responding in and operating from his personal vehicle instead of a mobile radio.

    The question is whether AFG will allow a portable radio for the chief's personal vehicle instead of a mobile radio in addition to the total number of portable radios assigned to each seated riding position on the apparatus fleet.

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    SLY4420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,022

    Default

    I think as long as you justify it in the narrative, it would be acceptable. Argue it if cut in Technical Review. (i.e. more versatility with portable vs. mobile, less of a financial concern over the life expectancy of the unit, etc.)

  9. #9
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by davepa View Post
    The 2009 Program Guidance states the following:

    “We will not fund mobile radios for personally owned vehicles, with the exception of the chief fire officer’s personal vehicle if adequately justified in the application.”

    However, because Chief officers in the volunteer service tend to change every year (if not more frequently), it seems inefficient to install a mobile radio in the chief's personal vehicle.

    Has anybody had any success in justifying a portable radio for a chief's personal vehicle?
    If your chief officers change every year then you have bigger issues then having enough radios.

  10. #10
    MembersZone Subscriber
    dfd701's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Alabama USofA
    Posts
    321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue601 View Post
    If your chief officers change every year then you have bigger issues then having enough radios.
    Just something you may want to think about. I had one of my officers ask me if he could pay for a mobile unit for his POV. and that way it would be his, something the department would not have to keep up. Well you live and learn and that came back and bite me in the butt. At the time I didn’t see a problem with it. He had been on the Department for a long time but when he left the department under some undisclosed reasons then it was my problem then. Anytime he got a few under his belt he made trouble for us. We would get keyed up on while talking on the fire ground and lots of dead keys in the middle of the night and so on. Could not prove it was him 100%. After that we would not let any FF have his own radio. We own them and have control of the radios and can be taken up at any time. Just something to think about.

  11. #11
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dfd701 View Post
    Just something you may want to think about. I had one of my officers ask me if he could pay for a mobile unit for his POV. and that way it would be his, something the department would not have to keep up. Well you live and learn and that came back and bite me in the butt. At the time I didn’t see a problem with it. He had been on the Department for a long time but when he left the department under some undisclosed reasons then it was my problem then. Anytime he got a few under his belt he made trouble for us. We would get keyed up on while talking on the fire ground and lots of dead keys in the middle of the night and so on. Could not prove it was him 100%. After that we would not let any FF have his own radio. We own them and have control of the radios and can be taken up at any time. Just something to think about.
    If hes not authorized to have the radio thru the department would that not be an issue with the FCC?

  12. #12
    Forum Member
    islandfire03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,656

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by dfd701 View Post
    Just something you may want to think about. I had one of my officers ask me if he could pay for a mobile unit for his POV. and that way it would be his, something the department would not have to keep up. Well you live and learn and that came back and bite me in the butt. At the time I didn’t see a problem with it. He had been on the Department for a long time but when he left the department under some undisclosed reasons then it was my problem then. Anytime he got a few under his belt he made trouble for us. We would get keyed up on while talking on the fire ground and lots of dead keys in the middle of the night and so on. Could not prove it was him 100%. After that we would not let any FF have his own radio. We own them and have control of the radios and can be taken up at any time. Just something to think about.
    Thats an easy solution to remediate. Radio detection finders will point you to the dead key signal. Then you have the police file charges for unauthorized usage of licensed emergency frequency by a person not authorized to use it.

  13. #13
    MembersZone Subscriber
    LVFD301's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,024

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    Or could just install the mobile with magnetic mount antenna and cigarette plug for power instead of hardwiring everything to make it easy to move around.
    ARGGGHHHHH...

    Slightly off topic... NO, NO, NO, NO. NO.

    Mag mounts are evil. They are not anywhere near as durable as a real mount. Should only be used as a last resort, and certainly not for a year or more.

    Cigarette plugs are even more evil. They will not support the amperage draw dependably of a modern mobile radio.


    Evil I tell you...

  14. #14
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    ARGGGHHHHH...

    Slightly off topic... NO, NO, NO, NO. NO.

    Mag mounts are evil. They are not anywhere near as durable as a real mount. Should only be used as a last resort, and certainly not for a year or more.

    Cigarette plugs are even more evil. They will not support the amperage draw dependably of a modern mobile radio.


    Evil I tell you...
    How bout one of those little mini-inverters plugged into the cigarette lighter with a standard 110 desktop charger plugged into it?? I'm joking...uh yea, just joking....

  15. #15
    MembersZone Subscriber
    dfd701's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Alabama USofA
    Posts
    321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    ARGGGHHHHH...

    Slightly off topic... NO, NO, NO, NO. NO.

    Mag mounts are evil. They are not anywhere near as durable as a real mount. Should only be used as a last resort, and certainly not for a year or more.

    Cigarette plugs are even more evil. They will not support the amperage draw dependably of a modern mobile radio.


    Evil I tell you...
    LVFD I am with you on those magnet mounts. If left on for a while it will damage you paint job. Found that out the hard way. It also doesn’t make a good ground to the body in return picks up all kinds of static and your SWR will be higher than it should. Defiantly temporary.

  16. #16
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Long time no Sea
    Posts
    2,253

    Talking Biggie,,,no!

    Install them in the chiefs POV if he agrees and don't worry about it anymore. Yank it out later if he gets deposed. Small issue since his decision to join was his and he accepted office. No biggie.

  17. #17
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pinckney,MI
    Posts
    103

    Default

    A "convertacom" with a through the glass antenna is a good compromise and no paint damage, just watch for metal in the window glass, messes up uthe radio signal.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Officers lose 243 Homeland Security guns
    By len1582 in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-20-2010, 01:19 PM
  2. Texas state POV lights/siren laws??
    By boobarrie in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-03-2008, 05:15 PM
  3. The Vehicle Safety Data Sheet, "VSDS"
    By rmoore in forum University of Extrication
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 03-04-2008, 04:18 PM
  4. Officers and Sergeants
    By FlyingKiwi in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-27-2005, 07:09 PM
  5. GOD HELP THE SFFD NOW!!!!!!!
    By truck12tillerman in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 05-16-2001, 03:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register