Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Forum Member firecat1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Betwixt here and there.
    Posts
    3,469

    Default Not good news for the Park.

    ORLANDO, Fla. -- A person was found dead Wednesday after an incident inside Shamu Stadium at SeaWorld Orlando, according to officials.

    LIVE VIDEO: Local 6 News Coverage

    Emergency personnel were called to the park and found a person dead, according to Orange County Fire Rescue spokesman John Mulhall. The death was not the result of a natural death, he said.

    Witnesses said a trainer was killed during an incident with a whale during a show, although that has not been confirmed by park officials.

    Part of the park has been closed, witnesses said.

    No other details are immediately known.

    Watch Local 6 News for more on this story.


  2. #2
    Forum Member mtg55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,313

    Default

    No bueno. I must say, for all the things that "could" go wrong with a show like that, this is the first incident I've heard of. Just hope it was nothing more than a tragic accident...
    Matt G.
    Battalion Chief
    IACOJ-Member
    FTM-PTB

  3. #3
    Forum Member Bones42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Pt. Beach, NJ
    Posts
    10,655

    Default

    Actually, this is the third person that 1 whale has killed.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

  4. #4
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Canuck Expat May be anywhere
    Posts
    2,906

    Default

    Being penned up with a lot of badly dressed tourists gawking and yapping, surprised his score is so low.

  5. #5
    Forum Member DaSharkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    4,713

    Default

    You play with a wild animal, you take risks. No animal is predictable.

    We saw that show last year in Orlando and while the animals are well trained, they are like humans and can have a bad day.......just a lot more to risk with 100 ton sea animal than with a cat.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

    The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

    "No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

    "As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

    www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    You play with a wild animal, you take risks. No animal is predictable.

    We saw that show last year in Orlando and while the animals are well trained, they are like humans and can have a bad day.......just a lot more to risk with 100 ton sea animal than with a cat.
    PETA made a statement that basically said "I told you so"

    Yes, these are wild animals and should be treated as such. Used to be a dump near here where people would go and watch the bears. They had to close because the city people kept trying to put their 2 year olds on the bear for a picture.

  7. #7
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Canuck Expat May be anywhere
    Posts
    2,906

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    PETA made a statement that basically said "I told you so"

    Yes, these are wild animals and should be treated as such. Used to be a dump near here where people would go and watch the bears. They had to close because the city people kept trying to put their 2 year olds on the bear for a picture.


    Double benefit. Population control and well fed bears.

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Memphis Tn,USA-now
    Posts
    5,436

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    PETA made a statement that basically said "I told you so"

    Yes, these are wild animals and should be treated as such. Used to be a dump near here where people would go and watch the bears. They had to close because the city people kept trying to put their 2 year olds on the bear for a picture.
    Which is why every Fish and Wildlife Agency that I know of with bears in their jurisdiction tells people "Don't feed the bears".It acclimates them to people and makes them think that people aren't much of a threat.
    Back on original topic:If the killer whale is going to kill humans,it needs to be released into the wild as far from land as possible.Make it find a pack to swim with and learn to be a wild killer whale or starve on its own.
    This critter has had his "Three Strikes".
    If you ask me after buying a round or six of Coors(tm),I'll tell you it's either release him or off to the seafood restaurant there at Seaworld.

  9. #9
    Forum Member DaSharkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    4,713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BryanLoader View Post
    Double benefit. Population control and well fed bears.
    Ain't that the truth.

    Stupid people who lack the common sense God gave a gnat should not be surprised when the 800 pound bear turns them into kibble. Yet because people are too stupid to live (yet they are allowed to procreate) society says kill the animal that acted on its natural instinct.

    When we were in Yellowstone National Park a couple years ago we were driving in from Cody, WY and came upon a 2 or 3 year old Grizzly forraging for grubs on the side of the road about 25 feet from our truck (I have some great pics of the critter.) Some moronic half wit numbskull was out of her car about 50-75 feet from the bear.....in the open.....taking pictures. Dumb@ss!

    And actually, the whale in question only has 2 strikes. The third case was some moron who intentionally stayed in the park, actively avoiding security, and went in the tank to swim with the whales in his underwear and was found dead in the whale's tank with some mild bruising and abrasions (moron turned into a toy for the fishy.)
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

    The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

    "No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

    "As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

    www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

  10. #10
    Forum Member firecat1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Betwixt here and there.
    Posts
    3,469

    Default

    Humans are supposed to be the smartest animal and yet we still do things like put the largest aquatic predator in a tank hardly big enough for a trout and are surprised when they object to their accomodations. I try to have faith that we'll soon learn how to take care of this planet and each other but.........

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    Which is why every Fish and Wildlife Agency that I know of with bears in their jurisdiction tells people "Don't feed the bears".It acclimates them to people and makes them think that people aren't much of a threat.
    Back on original topic:If the killer whale is going to kill humans,it needs to be released into the wild as far from land as possible.Make it find a pack to swim with and learn to be a wild killer whale or starve on its own.
    This critter has had his "Three Strikes".
    If you ask me after buying a round or six of Coors(tm),I'll tell you it's either release him or off to the seafood restaurant there at Seaworld.
    Yea the locals get it, its those darn City folk......

  12. #12
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Canuck Expat May be anywhere
    Posts
    2,906

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firecat1 View Post
    Humans are supposed to be the smartest animal and yet we still do things like put the largest aquatic predator in a tank hardly big enough for a trout and are surprised when they object to their accomodations. I try to have faith that we'll soon learn how to take care of this planet and each other but.........
    I applaud your patience and faith firecat, but...............????????

  13. #13
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Canuck Expat May be anywhere
    Posts
    2,906

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    Ain't that the truth.

    Stupid people who lack the common sense God gave a gnat should not be surprised when the 800 pound bear turns them into kibble. Yet because people are too stupid to live (yet they are allowed to procreate) society says kill the animal that acted on its natural instinct.

    When we were in Yellowstone National Park a couple years ago we were driving in from Cody, WY and came upon a 2 or 3 year old Grizzly forraging for grubs on the side of the road about 25 feet from our truck (I have some great pics of the critter.) Some moronic half wit numbskull was out of her car about 50-75 feet from the bear.....in the open.....taking pictures. Dumb@ss!

    And actually, the whale in question only has 2 strikes. The third case was some moron who intentionally stayed in the park, actively avoiding security, and went in the tank to swim with the whales in his underwear and was found dead in the whale's tank with some mild bruising and abrasions (moron turned into a toy for the fishy.)


    Saw a very similar event coming through Jasper. There is this massive Bull Elk feeding in the ditch with his harem. This lad would have re written Boone & Crockett. On the shoulder are about 15 Japanese tourists with the obligatory 9 cameras each standing about 20 feet from him. He's starting to shake his head and stomp his hooves. I rolled down the window and yelled at them to get back. The interpreter came over and asked me to take some photos of the group with the elk. I'm sure diplomatic relations between Canada and Japan will be restored soon.

  14. #14
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Memphis Tn,USA-now
    Posts
    5,436

    Default

    I almost joined this list myself and yes,*I* should know better.
    My youngest niece wanted to see the horses down at the Penal Farm(THEY call it Shelby Farms but when I was growing up,it was"The Penal Farm" aye and forevermore,Amen) here in Memphis and after we did that,I told her the park has buffalo taller than her Daddy.
    Being 6 years old at the time,she didn't believe anyone could be taller than that and wanted to see,so we drove to the buffalo enclosure to confirm or deny my statement.
    As it was that day,the buffs were right up against the fence so I got out and stood next to the king bull of the herd to show her how much taller it was than me,and her Daddy's 6'6" height wasn't going to be any taller.
    He didn't like it when I petted him and moved away from the fence just as I realized how stewpeed I was for getting that close to a critter that probably knows that I've bought some of his relatives from Kroger in 1 pound packages.(My life is full of episodes like that where I wised up just as my now ex or the cops started c.o.c.k.ing eyebrows at me)
    As I drove away,my nieceling started fussing in the backseat because SHE wanted to get out and pet the buffalo,too.I wasn't going for that and she still tells her friends about how I got to pet a buffalo and wouldn't let her.
    Last edited by doughesson; 03-02-2010 at 02:01 PM.

  15. #15
    Savage / Hyneman 08'
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    450

    Default

    Wait, let me get this straight.

    A man fell victim to a KILLER whale? A KILLER whale KILLED a person?

    Damn. Never would have seen that coming.
    We do not rise to the occasion. We fall back to our level of training.

  16. #16
    Forum Member PaladinKnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,413

    Default

    I don't know if this bears mentioning, but I will provide this based upon a report I saw this morning.

    The Killer Whale is not a whale, but the largest species of the dolphin family.

    The name "killer whale" derives from the Spanish "ballena asesina".

    Whenever humans 'work with', train or handle animals, there will be accidents.

    It should not be surprising, but it is because we only think about the Lion Tamer's risk when he is killed. We don't think about the horse trainer until he is kicked in the head. We don't think about the dog trainer until the dog turns on him. Why should this be any different? Was it different because the public was present?

    When someone works with animals, they have to be on-guard every second due to the risk involved. Not any different than what we do.
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

  17. #17
    MembersZone Subscriber Dickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,111

    Default

    I say we make lamp oil out of him.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

    IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

  18. #18
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Memphis Tn,USA-now
    Posts
    5,436

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    I say we make lamp oil out of him.
    Well,there IS a seafood restaurant at Seaworld."Waste not,want not" like Grandma always said.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. World Of Fire Report: 04-21-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-24-2005, 08:31 PM
  2. World Of Fire Report: 02-07-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-08-2005, 11:34 PM
  3. World Of Fire Report: 01-01-04
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-03-2004, 11:13 AM
  4. World Of Fire Report: 10-01-03
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-02-2003, 01:55 PM
  5. World Of Fire Report: 09-29-03
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-30-2003, 08:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts