Thread: Tooele?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Tooele?

Anybody know anything about Tooele army depot? Locality pay? Training? Station? mutual aid? working conditions? Apparatus? Thank you

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JDJFIREMAN1 View Post
    Anybody know anything about Tooele army depot? Locality pay? Training? Station? mutual aid? working conditions? Apparatus? Thank you
    it is located in tooele county, about 25-30 miles west of salt lake city, ut. locality is "rest of US"... 14.16%. training is normal for an all civilian department... they have a training officer, but it isn't anything hardcore. 2 stations, main station is located within all the 'main post' area and station 2 is 17 miles out. they run mutual aid with tooele city, stockton, and surrounding communities. wildland and brush fires are a big deal in the summer time. working conditions are as any other department, you can love it or hate it. they have an old KME aerial, a brush trucks, light rescue modified truck, and two engines.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thank you for the help. I am trying to get into Fed Fire and I saw they had some vacancies. Do you work at Tooele? or Fed? I am trying to go federal from the public side. I applied for GS-5, I have IFSAC FF 1,2, HAZ ops, EMT, a bunch of certs from Oxnard college Fire academy. been an engineer for almost a year and about a month away from gettin IFSAC D/O pumper and tender. Do these help with obtaining the position? any advice for trying to go Federal?
    Last edited by JDJFIREMAN1; 02-24-2010 at 06:16 PM.

Forum Member

Learn to hold your breath? Lots of nerve gas there.....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JDJFIREMAN1 View Post
    Thank you for the help. I am trying to get into Fed Fire and I saw they had some vacancies. Do you work at Tooele? or Fed? I am trying to go federal from the public side. I applied for GS-5, I have IFSAC FF 1,2, HAZ ops, EMT, a bunch of certs from Oxnard college Fire academy. been an engineer for almost a year and about a month away from gettin IFSAC D/O pumper and tender. Do these help with obtaining the position? any advice for trying to go Federal?
    The job you are applying for doesn't require veteran status so coming from the outside, you should be good. The qualifications are as follows:

In order to qualify for the position applicants must posess the following certifications: Firefighter I & II, HazMat Awareness, HazMat Operations. Applicants must be able to obtain and maintain Driver/Operator Pumper certification to be promoted to the GS-06 level. Applicants must be able to obtain and maintain State or National Certification required as Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) (Basic Life Support) to be promoted to the GS-07 level.

The position is a GS-0081-05/07. What that means is that you will be hired as a GS-05 based on the certifications you hold in the bolded statements (which you have all those). After 1 year, you will have had to obtain D/O Pumper and can be promoted to GS-06. After that you will have to wait another year to get promoted to GS-07 given that you have Utah state or National Registry EMT-B. Coming in federal without prior veteran status is difficult, but not impossible.

When writing your resume, ensure you write all of your prior experience, in detail! Sometimes they are called KSA's (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities) and sometimes they are called something else, but that is what they grade you resume off of when it is scanned by a computer looking for key words.

In this specific announcement, it is written as so:
    Applicants must have one year of specialized experience at the next lower level controlling and extinguishing fires, operating hose lines, performing in rescue operations including administering first aid to injured victims.

Ensure you resume reflects that you have specialized experience controlling and extinguishing fires, operating hose lines, etc...

Write out every certification as it is written on the annoucement.

Good luck, and if you have any other questions let me know.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyRube View Post
    Learn to hold your breath? Lots of nerve gas there.....
    dont worry, you get issued gas masks. hehe no thank you.

i guess its better than dugway... a group of sheep dying mysteriously outside the base and the gov't payed the owner for 'compensation' but never admitted to anything.

Forum Member

Default I just moved from there.

I was at the Tooele Army Depot as a Security Police Officer. The town of Tooele is really small. If you go to Utah, you might want to live in West Valley or SLC. Tooele doesn't have any shopping areas. Walmart is the local hot spot, and there are a bunch of burger joints. It does have a hugh race track that I really do miss.

As far as your questions, The whole time that I was there, I think they might have run a hand full of calls. I do think that they do a bit of training thought. I'm not sure on that. I did meet a few Firefighters there, and I was in Kirkuk, Iraq with 2 of them.

The Tooele Army Depot in all was a ok place to work. You don't have to worry about chemical crap, unless you get assigned to DCD. But that is a ways from Tooele.

Let me know if you need any info on the area.

Thread Information