Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The dumbest?

Talking The dumbest?

What is the dumbest thing you have ever done on a 911 scene?

I have two, 1st is laid dual 3" supply lines 300 feet to the fire when the engine I was on only had 1 3" intake.

2nd "which was really dumb" I tried to hold a vulcan flashlight and use a hose at the same time during overhaul. Needless to say I was on the floor in short order chokeing the hose down so I could close the bale.

Have fun.

Forum Member

Not on a run, but in training. We were doing some training evolutions. No smoke, no fire, just in our bay to practice FF removal. Well, I'm a larger fellow, so they picked me to be the victim.

The drill started when I called "MAYDAY" and gave my LUNAR report. So I did...with one slight problem. It was the first evolution and I forgot to switch my radio over to the fireground channel. Instead, I broadcast it on a county-wide channel that over 15 departments can hear.....

I don't think I have ever seen our training officer reaching for his radio faster.

Still haven't heard the end of that, and I doubt I ever will.

The only thing that comes to mind came from a training the other night. I forgot to put the transmission back in neutral before I took the pump out of gear. I found out quickly what that mistake sounds like.

Quote Originally Posted by Chenzo View Post
    The only thing that comes to mind came from a training the other night. I forgot to put the transmission back in neutral before I took the pump out of gear. I found out quickly what that mistake sounds like.
    Cha-Ching $$$$$$$$
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Forum Member

Never done it myself, but was standing next to a brand new truck onetime when someone else did it. It goes GrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrGrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrGrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrHmmmmmmmmmmmm. Then the fire chief goes what the heck are you doing to my new truck!

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinKnight View Post
    Cha-Ching $$$$$$$$
    Surprisingly, no damage seen yet. We pumped it a half dozen or so more times, and it pumped just as fine as it did before I ground the gears.

I ****ed my pants because I thought I broke it though. Thankfully, nothing so far.

The Cha-Ching $$$$ comes later on down the road...

after about 20 or 30 GRRRGRRRR- GRRRRRR - GRRRRR - GRRRRRRR HhhhMMMmmmmmmmmm (s).

Well, I'm not the first one to GRRRRRRRR- GRRRRRRR- GRRRR -GRRRR HhhhMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmm our pump. We have a member that works at a maintenance shop who's done it before too so I don't feel so bad.

Well that leaves at least 15, 16 times left before any major repairs will be required.

The good news is it only cost around $1000 to fix, so don't worry about it too much.

Just make sure your not the last guy to do it, or if you are... act like nothing is wrong and have someone else drive the truck back.

You didn't hear that from me, and if you said that I told you that, I will deny saying it and call your daddy.

Forum Member

everyone does the GRRRGRRRR- GRRRRRR - GRRRRR - GRRRRRRR HhhhMMMmmmmmmmmm at least once

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinKnight View Post
    Well that leaves at least 15, 16 times left before any major repairs will be required.

The good news is it only cost around $1000 to fix, so don't worry about it too much.

Just make sure your not the last guy to do it, or if you are... act like nothing is wrong and have someone else drive the truck back.

You didn't hear that from me, and if you said that I told you that, I will deny saying it and call your daddy.
    Oh don't worry, that was my plan in the first place. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    everyone does the GRRRGRRRR- GRRRRRR - GRRRRR - GRRRRRRR HhhhMMMmmmmmmmmm at least once
    We call it: "THE RIGHT OF PASSAGE".

MembersZone Subscriber

When you have to really worry is when the GRRRGRRRR- GRRRRRR - GRRRRR - GRRRRRRR HhhhMMMmmmmmmmmm turns to CLUNK!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BryanLoader View Post
    When you have to really worry is when the GRRRGRRRR- GRRRRRR - GRRRRR - GRRRRRRR HhhhMMMmmmmmmmmm turns to CLUNK!!!
    And then....

Cha-Ching $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

MembersZone Subscriber

Much as it pains me to admit it, I had just been hired on my career dept and of course after academy there wasnothing I didn't know. I volunteered with the home town FD. First training night, hose lay and attack practice. Yep I took the hydrant and managed to fill the hosebed and 400 ft of 4" line. The Chief was an ex Flying Officer in the RCAF and a good friend of my Fathers. He certainly knew that my parentage did not involve animals

Quote Originally Posted by Itshotinhere View Post
    I have two, 1st is laid dual 3" supply lines 300 feet to the fire when the engine I was on only had 1 3" intake.
    What happened to the steamer connection?????
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Not on the fireground, but in training. We were doing hose handling drills and I had one of the probies backing me up while I was on the nozzle. We were on grass that was we and muddy from all of the previous evolution. For some reason the probie let go of the line and I just started tipping over backwards. The next thing I know, I'm flat on my back with the hose still in my hands an flowing water straight up in the air. Part of me wishes I had a video tape of that to see what I looked like, and the other part is happy that there is no evidence (other than this post).

MembersZone Subscriber

On the job, we had a school fire in middle of summer, I was on tip. I'm standing on the 5th or 6th step of a flight of maybe 15, waiting for the ladder crew to force the door. This was a commercial type steel double door entry. They decide it'd be easier to rip out the frame, doors, and all instead of popping the door. So I'm standing there admiring how effecient they were working, and then had an epiphany. OH $#!+!!! The doors are out and coming down the stairs at me, nowhere to go! I had to jump on and "surf" the doors down to the bottom of the stairs. Fortunately no problem, but I won't make that mistake again...
    Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Philadelphia Fire Department and/or IAFF Local 22.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Ya, I think I've got one of those too. As well, the desk phone in the station has the same "beer button" as any radio does, because its hooked into the radio trunking. I was doing some work involving small tools and when I flipped open the box I also tripped the "BIG RED BUTTON". Unfortunately it does not sound in the office... but it sure does over the 'net and through Dispatch.

"Beer me Please!" Was all I heard later.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Hehe, back in my pup days I walked off the side of the roof. Yup, you read that right, bout 9 or 10 foot sudden drop. Somehow came out unscathed, did the quick "look to see if anyone saw that". They did....Good trick is have someone "run start" the K-12....
    Matt G.
    Battalion Chief
    IACOJ-Member
    FTM-PTB

Thread Information