Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default AFG 2010 - March 29?

Take it as you wish, but as of today the anticipated start date for 2010 AFG will be March 29th.

As with anything in this program, as we know, this is subject to change.

MembersZone Subscriber WJVaughn's Avatar

Good thing I am seeing Brian this weekend. Got to write one this year for non-affiliated ems to replace all of their radios. This narrow banding thing you know.

Forum Member

Speaking of Narrowbanding, I was told that emergency services are exempt until like 2024. But I have also heard everyone has to be changed over in 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by farmerfire1156 View Post
    Speaking of Narrowbanding, I was told that emergency services are exempt until like 2024. But I have also heard everyone has to be changed over in 2013.
    Oh please, I wish that was the case. Even Ham operators will have to go NB sometime around 2017.

Sorry farmerfire I did mean to sound like an aÖ. We will have to change to NB by 2013.

MembersZone Subscriber

Good news article in Firehouse Magazine on this in the Jan issue from the chief of the FCC

also

http://www.wirelessradio.net/

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SLY4420 View Post
    Take it as you wish, but as of today the anticipated start date for 2010 AFG will be March 29th.

As with anything in this program, as we know, this is subject to change.
    Well with that piece of news combined with the fact the FEMA has seemed to stooped doing anything with this years grants, I say our hopes are getting dim!

Anyone remember what the total amount of money budgeted for 2010 AFG is?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RES81CUE View Post
    Anyone remember what the total amount of money budgeted for 2010 AFG is?
    i believe $390M down from $565

Forum Member

Hardly. Jan 1, 2013 is emergency services specifically. Story is there will be NO delay. The HD TV transition schedule changes played havoc with a fairly well put together and much delayed plan. Will the FCC have the backbone to tell whiny Congresscritters "thanks for sharing, go away"?
    Last edited by fireinfo10; 02-26-2010 at 02:41 PM.

2013 is the drop dead for narrowbanding to 12.5. It will NOT change. PUBLIC SAFETY asked that it NOT be changed. It is coming, don't expect a reprieve. Nothing to do with any other rebanding, etc. This has been forecast as coming since the 90's.

6.25 narrowbanding is forecast, but no dates have been set or even really considered. Figure you will be in retirement when it happens.

There is NO FCC mandate for HAM radio to narrowband. None. Just like GMRS and some other segments.

This is NOT just a public safety mandate. Commercial LMR like Joe's plumbing, Al's sawmill, Goober's trucking all have to narrowband also.

800 MHZ and Lowband DO NOT HAVE TO NARROWBAND

And the number 1 thing to remember about narrowbaniding?

NEVER TRUST THE SALESPERSON!

Forum Member

LVFD and I had posted about it back in Nov. I believe. I had a man tell me that emergency services did not have to go NB and he's a radio guy that does alot of IT stuff for the county. I will have to break it to him gently.

Sounds like good candidates to attend Alan Tilles seminars - for free.

I post again...

This guy is an excellent resource for anyone buying, thinking about buying, spec'ing, or just worried if they are going to comply with the new communications standards. He is giving free seminars at various venues (although there may be a cost for the venue itself in some cases, or your 911 director can help you get in) throughout the US.

He is an attorney. Get the jokes out, I have never seen any other attorney have the grasp on the technical issues related to communication like he does. He even pops up here on Firehouse from time to time. Anyone wanting to stay out of trouble would be really smart to attend one of his seminars. His information is below his spring schedule.

Or you can listen to salespeople, and read misinformed articles.

IWCE - March 8-12
    Indiana NENA - March 25
    Alabama APCO - March 30
    Arkansas APCO/NENA - March 12-13
    New Jersey NENA - April 20
    Texas APCO - April 26
    APTA Bus & ParaTransit - May 3-5
    PA APCO - May 17-19

More to come!

---

Alan S. Tilles, Esq.
    Chairman, Telecommunications Department

atilles@shulmanrogers.com | T 301.231.0930 | F 301.230.2891

SHULMAN, ROGERS, GANDAL, PORDY & ECKER, P.A.
    12505 PARK POTOMAC AVENUE, 6TH FLOOR, POTOMAC, MD 20854
    <http://www.shulmanrogers.com/>

If your area falls into the realm that I travel - basically almost anywhere east of the rockies, I am more than happy usually to put on a dog and pony show for your county commissioners, fire department associations, etc.

I have gotten pretty good at it, and it costs you nothing more than perhaps my dinner - or some old spare fire fighting equipment that is donated to other very needy departments.

I have no desire to sell radios (at least outside of my little couple of counties) so the elected officials tend to listen - sometimes.

Forum Member

LVFD301,

If you find yourself in NJ, it would be nice for someone to suggest

- Stop using repeaters for short-range, on-scene communications.

I admit, I listen to my scanner to hear what's going on as much as the next person. But, not everyone _needs_ to hear it, we tie up two frequencies when one would do and then complain there are no available frequencies, and there is the chance of missing the critical transmission because the person in distress has a weak battery, broken antenna, whatever and cannot hit the repeater. A scratchy simplex transmission might actually get heard on the fireground, and the dispatcher can still listen using the same satellite receive sites they would use for the repeaters for the more powerful signals.

- Take some of the radio channels the counties & state are acquiring and setup a private alphanumeric paging system, similar to what has been recently described here on the forums.

Voice dispatch is still the most common way for the first-out responders to get notified around here, and I wouldn't want to replace it. But off-duty recall & management/coordinators rely heavily on text messages to their cell phone. For my own business, I still carry a Skytel pager for my own business needs because they'll guarantee message delivery compared to cellphone company's best-effort SMS messages (though I'm increasingly convinced Skytel turns off towers nights & weekends) which might come through an hour or a day or two later.

Finding the money to pay a paging company $30 per month per public-safety user is cost-prohibitive but most of the backbone infrastructure probably already exists on the state level so it wouldn't be hard to start transmitting pages on the private public safety network and just buying the subscriber unit. If you're a local public safety agency, you can buy your own pager and maybe pay the state a nominal yearly fee to use their paging system.

In my opinion.
    Apu
    http://www.SpringfieldFAS.org/
    http://www.VolunteerEMS.org/
    "The views expressed are my own."

Forum Member

Default Any word on first round of DJ's

I would think they could send out the DJ's for those who didn't make it through the computer scoring. Would be nice to have some idea before we submit the 2010 grant.

Forum Member

All notifications will be out before 2010 opens. So all DJs and 1199As will be out. Awards will probably go until May but all will know the 2009 app's fate shortly.

Forum Member

Wow. I just saw this. Thanks so much. FYI - I just did another article for Retail Merchandiser magazine on narrowbanding. Not public safety, but the same general rules apply anyway. http://digital.retail-merchandiser.c...0506/index.php

Thread Information