MembersZone Subscriber

Default Audiovisual Equipment Grant Options

I am looking for information on grants or funding options for updating our AV equipment for in-house training. We are a small rural Fire/EMS service with one classroom and are looking to update to computer assisted training. Thank you.
    Last edited by FFEMT2159; 02-27-2010 at 10:26 PM.

Forum Member

I too am looking for ideas for a laptop, multimedia projector, screen and maybe some training packages (DVD's) Ideas / thoughts welcome...

MembersZone Subscriber

Most departments around here have asked for it with their equipment grant. AFG wants your guys to have FF I training, so there's an opportunity to get it with that (books, computer, projector, etc to do it in-house). Even if you don't have the ability to teach FF I in-house, you have to have the means to maintain that level of competency, which means training.

One department nearby put in for a laptop and projector as part of their training on both the equipment and apparatus grant. They were awarded both, with the training equipment being cut from one due to the redundancy. The equipment grant also covered costs to get an instructor in to teach an in-house FF I and II, along with the manuals. They paid it forward by allowing other departments to send a couple of guys each if they supplied the books. The apparatus grant is covering the cones and manuals needed for the driver training.

They ended up spending excess funds on an interactive whiteboard to go with the other stuff. I'm honestly jealous of their training room now, but looking forward to playing with the whiteboard when we do their driver/operator course.

Forum Member

Look into FM Global fire prevention grants. Gotten 2 departments laptops and projectors thru them.

Forum Member

I'm told local Walmarts are very good about passing demonstrator TVs etc along to local FD when models change.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for all of the advice. Keep it coming.
    FF II, EMT, Fire Instructor I, Fire Officer I

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFEMT2159 View Post
    Thanks for all of the advice. Keep it coming.
    Another option for those of you who have been awarded grant, and have excess funding can put in for this equipment for fire prevention and safety to use in the schools and such.

MembersZone Subscriber

Someone posted this a few months back about free computers.Walmart should be able to help along with a TV

http://www.pipelineawareness.org/mem...ops-volunteers

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mtndew21 View Post
    Someone posted this a few months back about free computers.Walmart should be able to help along with a TV

If you have a corporation nearby that changes out computers frequently, they will often donate them (minus OS and sometimes HD). We have a banking software company that is very gracious about donating laptop and desktop computers. Some departments have even been able to latch onto replaced projectors.

Along with the grants and excess funds, there's a lot of resources out there if you do some looking.

mtndew- Do you remember which thread that was in? It seems like someone posted a website where you can get free software (Windows included) in that thread. Not that I mind searching, just thought if you knew the title or something it'd make it quicker.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    mtndew- Do you remember which thread that was in? It seems like someone posted a website where you can get free software (Windows included) in that thread. Not that I mind searching, just thought if you knew the title or something it'd make it quicker.
    No been looking for it.I happen to remember it reading this post.
    I just had the email that I sent to our EMA guy to send out to other dept's.
    It was dated 11/28/09

Forum Member

http://home.techsoup.org/

"TechSoup.org offers nonprofits a one-stop resource for technology needs by providing free information, resources, and support. In addition to online information and resources, we offer a product philanthropy service called TechSoup Stock. Here, nonprofits can access donated and discounted technology products, generously provided by corporate and nonprofit technology partners."
    Apu
    http://www.SpringfieldFAS.org/
    http://www.VolunteerEMS.org/
    "The views expressed are my own."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mtndew21 View Post

Just got some laptops from this group. Won't see them until I go in tomorrow but I understand they are fully functional units minus the OS. I will post about the condition tomorrow.

MembersZone Subscriber

I sent them an e-mail but never heard anything back from them.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lump532 View Post
    Just got some laptops from this group. Won't see them until I go in tomorrow but I understand they are fully functional units minus the OS. I will post about the condition tomorrow.
    We also just had 2 laptops shipped from Colorado through the PAPA program. This is my first received grant, per say. Shipped thursday, so maybe on monday or tuesday....

Forum Member

We also received an email from them... two laptops on the way! THANK YOU, Pipeline Awareness!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by utfd704 View Post
    I sent them an e-mail but never heard anything back from them.
    It takes a while sometimes - the people who are doing it are employees donating their time to make it happen.

I have 15 enroute, along with a couple of routers, which will allow us to have a portable classroom.

Forum Member

Dang! Fifteen laptops. I did not know this program was volunteer run. I am just overjoyed at the thought of receiving this assistance. Who pays for the shipping? I want to be able to fully understand this program so that we can make one heck of a thank you letter. Thank you PAPA!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Normally they pay shipping.

I can't wait to see what these are, a portable training room in a box!

MembersZone Subscriber

WOW!

Compaq NC6220, 1.7 Gig processor, 40 gig HD, CD RW, DVD RW, wireless, port replicator, and working batteries!!!!

THANK YOU PAPA!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Television??

Under FF tranining in the 2009 AFG PG, "video-conferencing equipment" is ineligible activity. Does anyone know if this is referencing the multi-site stuff, or does it include laptops/projectors?? We can do the laptop/projector through an FPS amendment, but would prefer to do it on the excess funds side and save the FPS money for smoke/CO detectors and batteries.

Also--with the price of big TV's getting down into the same range as projectors, would a flat screen be acceptable as an alternative to projector/screen?? Sure would be nice to be able to leave the lights on so we can take notes and make sure some of our FF's are not texting!!

earl

Forum Member

Default Regional Training Request

In 2008 I wrote a successful Regional Training AFG which included a significant amount of money for A/V equipment.

A/V equipment $4000
    IFSTA 5th cirriculum $240
    IFSTA 5th Texts (24 @ $98 each) $2352
    FF1 Instructor Fees $6000
    NWCG FF Type 2 Instructor Fees $2400

Training is a high priority for the AFG program and is eligible under a Regional application. Doing it this way will still allow you to submit a separate application for Operations and Safety.

The only downside is administering and managing a regional grant (especially for a training project) takes a lot more work.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FFEMT2159 View Post
    I am looking for information on grants or funding options for updating our AV equipment for in-house training. We are a small rural Fire/EMS service with one classroom and are looking to update to computer assisted training. Thank you.
    I had thought with all the posting that someone would have chimed in about this but remember something here. It is ok to request the equipment you are asking for but it cannot be striclty a self-taught or distance type learning program. It has to be part of a comprehenisve overall training package which is instructor led, hands-on, and leads to National ceretfication to gain any priority in the AFG.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780 View Post
    I had thought with all the posting that someone would have chimed in about this but remember something here. It is ok to request the equipment you are asking for but it cannot be striclty a self-taught or distance type learning program. It has to be part of a comprehenisve overall training package which is instructor led, hands-on, and leads to National ceretfication to gain any priority in the AFG.
    Yep, that part i have no problem with. And, laptop is not a problem--those are clear cut. I'm just fuzzy as to whether a flat panel TV (or tube style if one could be found!!) would be an acceptable replacement for a projector and screen. Similar price range, both show the image, but the LCD panel is not dependent on being dark, doesn't require replacement bulbs at half the original cost (you've been here Kurt--regardless of the cost we're not going to be able to get a projector bulb at 2100 hours on a Monday night...unless we ordered it the Tuesday before!!). Being able to keep the lights on for a night training, or being able to see on a sunny Saturday morning are both real benefits.

I'm also thinking that since Firefighter Training is an eligible activity, training could be part of the 5,000 in excess funds not requiring an amendment--is that right?? Or is that now a little different for training/fitenss since we can now use part of the over 5,000 for those instead of strictly for FPS? (the 50% for training/fitness beyond the 5,000 mark DOES REQUIRE an amendment, just like FPS)

And before anybody rants about the luxury of using a device with a broadcast tune...if we do this we could bring in a TV signal and watch something that is not fire related--IF we run the cable to the meeting room. Reality--i think everybody on the department has a bigger TV in their living room and most of us are not using plastic folding chairs for furniture. If we're there on a stand-by, maybe i'll watch something--otherwise, i'm in my Barca Lounger at home!!

Somehow i'm feeling like a novice here!! Sweet!!!

earl

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Greenacres2 View Post
    Yep, that part i have no problem with. And, laptop is not a problem--those are clear cut. I'm just fuzzy as to whether a flat panel TV (or tube style if one could be found!!) would be an acceptable replacement for a projector and screen. Similar price range, both show the image, but the LCD panel is not dependent on being dark, doesn't require replacement bulbs at half the original cost (you've been here Kurt--regardless of the cost we're not going to be able to get a projector bulb at 2100 hours on a Monday night...unless we ordered it the Tuesday before!!). Being able to keep the lights on for a night training, or being able to see on a sunny Saturday morning are both real benefits.

I'm also thinking that since Firefighter Training is an eligible activity, training could be part of the 5,000 in excess funds not requiring an amendment--is that right?? Or is that now a little different for training/fitenss since we can now use part of the over 5,000 for those instead of strictly for FPS? (the 50% for training/fitness beyond the 5,000 mark DOES REQUIRE an amendment, just like FPS)

And before anybody rants about the luxury of using a device with a broadcast tune...if we do this we could bring in a TV signal and watch something that is not fire related--IF we run the cable to the meeting room. Reality--i think everybody on the department has a bigger TV in their living room and most of us are not using plastic folding chairs for furniture. If we're there on a stand-by, maybe i'll watch something--otherwise, i'm in my Barca Lounger at home!!

Somehow i'm feeling like a novice here!! Sweet!!!

earl
    Earl I think your arguement for a flat screen is actually very valid, having survived one of your white out blizzards in the equipment bay.LOL
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Earl -

I haven't heard of Flat Panel LCD's being specifically excluded...in the PG or otherwise.

You certainly make excellent selling points on the benefits of a flat panel over a projector and screen.

A couple of additional selling points -
    1) Flat Panel TV's typically have good audio equipment built in. Easier and more reliable to use than hooking up separate speakers to a laptop.
    2) Flat Panel TV's typically have more quantity and selection of a/v hookups. HDMI, S-video, VGA, RCA, Composite Video. More options to hook up additional A/V equipment (Computers, DVD player, VHS player, camcorder, etc.)
    3) I am under the impression that Flat Panel TV's have a much longer life expectancy than a portable projector. I'm not just talking about bulb life either.

Also, you may want to emphasize in the narrative that it is being purchased and used as a large computer "Monitor"...and not as a "TV".

Stick to the facts, emphasize the need and benefit and it should fly through.

We have our training room set up with both a projector with screen and a 46" LCD monitor. The LCD is by far the favorite of the instructors and students. The projector, even though it is near new and high quality, rarely gets used. The only real benefits of the projector is 1) portable & 2) you can make it project a very large screen.

Wolf
    Last edited by Wolf8552; 12-07-2010 at 07:48 PM.

Thread Information