Forum Member

Default Using aviation fuel in power tools and small motors?

Has anyone been regularly using aviation fuel in the gas power tools and motors? The ethanol is wrecking EVERYTHING. Aviation fuel is readily available to us at an airport down the road. Its ethanol free 100 octane low-lead.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Forum Member

Have been using Marine grade Stable additive in every gas powered tool. Use it in my pv also. Seems to work well.

Wal-Mart sells it the cheapest (big surprise)

Forum Member

Default Ethanol

Gasoline with an ethanol blend (any percentage mixed with gasoline) generally should not be used in small engines. Talk with your fuel supplier and ask if gasoline with no ethanol blend is available.

Some states have mandated ethanol blends and it is getting harder to obtain non-ethanol gasoline in some locations. I live 12 miles from an ethanol plant and used to work there for a time. I have been using ethanol in my vehicles (car, etc.) for 25 years and everything has worked well, but never would add it to fuel small engines (lawn mower, etc.)

Ethanol has the tendency to attract water (condensation, etc.) and will wreck small engines. For any particular engine (chain saw, generator, etc.) it is best to contact the manufacturer of the engine. If you have older fire apparatus (pre-1980, etc.) you should check and see if those gasoline engines will take ethanol. Older vehicles sometimes have problems with ethanol, too.

I mark my gas cans to determine which ones contain gasoline with ethanol blend and those without ethanol blend. That helps avoid accidentially placing gasoline with ethanol blend in small engines. Something your FD may have to do to prevent ethanol usage in small engines.

Forum Member

We are fortunate to have an ethanol free fueling station in our first in. It is the one we use the most.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

We have no such station anywhere around here. So the ethanol blended fuel in every gas pump in state is wrecking everything we put it in. The only readily available source of non-ethanol blended fuel is AvGas.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIRE117 View Post

I mark my gas cans to determine which ones contain gasoline with ethanol blend and those without ethanol blend. That helps avoid accidentially placing gasoline with ethanol blend in small engines. Something your FD may have to do to prevent ethanol usage in small engines.
    Serious question, but what would you need to keep a can of ethanol mixed gasoline around for if not for small engines? Does your department do public service/assist calls and take gas to motorists> My previous department (DPS) did this and we kept a 5 gallon can on the rescue for stranded motorists.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

The only problem with 100 octane LL aviation fuel, other than getting it is the cost. At the airport I take flight lessons from, 100LL is $5.45 a gallon.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    The only problem with 100 octane LL aviation fuel, other than getting it is the cost. At the airport I take flight lessons from, 100LL is $5.45 a gallon.
    Also a good point, however when considering it would only be bought a few gallons at a time, I am sure the powers at be would rather pay the extra for the fuel than have to worry about fixing small engines all the time.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

Forum Member

Default Ethanol

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    Serious question, but what would you need to keep a can of ethanol mixed gasoline around for if not for small engines? Does your department do public service/assist calls and take gas to motorists> My previous department (DPS) did this and we kept a 5 gallon can on the rescue for stranded motorists.
    I was referring to the gasoline cans that I keep at home. The "ethanol blend" gasoline I add to one of my vehicles if I need it. The marked "non-ethanol blend" is for my lawn mower, etc.

Also, I would not recommend using ethanol blend gasoline in your beloved motorcycle either!

Forum Member

It is $4.50/gal at KSNC. That is worth the added cost of a very small amount of gasoline, especially when it keeps the equipment working. It is much more expensive to have it rebuilt all the time.

I figure we can get this guy here to keep our own supply to refill tools and small gas cans for months on end without having to go back to the airport.
    http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...5161_200325161

Last edited by nmfire; 02-28-2010 at 01:05 AM.

Thread Information