Forum Member

Question Irving Fire Department (DFW/TX)

The Civil test is a week away and I wanted to see if any of you guys out there will be taking the test and if you have taken it before. If you have taken it before, what are your general thoughts about it...did it weigh heavily on mechanical or math...?

Forum Member

You don't list the State you are in. Civil Service Exams vary from place to place. Since you have posted here, I conclude you are in Texas.

Here is the link for Dallas FD Recruiting Guidelines:

http://www.dallasfirerescue.com/details.htm

Goggle "Civil Service Exam" and you can search for examples of questions and perhaps find information that pertains to your situation.

Good Luck.
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Forum Member

Heading: Irving Fire Department (DFW / TX).

I have taken tests previously, and understand that some are different than others & that's what my thread is about, someone that has taken the Irving test & that could give feedback on their specific test.

MembersZone Subscriber

I took the Irving exam about 3 years ago I believe. When the test first began someone read a detailed excerpt from a make believe working fire. For example, arrive on scene 1313 Mockingbird lane, heavy smoke and flames from the attic, you catch a hydrant on 123 fully involved ave, you make entry through the c side window blah blah blah ............. So on and so forth. Then you had to answer questions concerning this excerpt. No note taking. This part focused on memory of course. After that, some reading comprehension, but alot of mechanical questions (pulleys, planes, fulcrums, levers, etc.) and math (distance/rate, perimeters, converting %'s, fractions, some algebra, etc). These examples are by no means the only areas concerning mechanical and math questions that were on the test. I do remember the test was heavy on these areas. I would definitely brush up if you fill the need to. As I said before, this was 3 years ago and everything in the Military and Fire Service is subject to change.
    "Once You Find Something You Enjoy Doing, Then It's No Longer Work!"

"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue"-Adm. Nimitz about Marines in the Battle of Iwo Jima

Forum Member

That's great information...Thanks!

I have not had a memorization portion on a test yet, that should be interesting.

USMCFFIGHTER, where did you get hired on at?

MembersZone Subscriber

I got hired on with Fort Worth. Actually, I was going through the physical agility tests, polygraphs, etc for both departments about the same time. Then it came down to choosing and I chose Fort Worth. From what I heard when I was speaking with IFD personnel, they are a great department with a phenomenal retirement plan! Well, good luck and you will be responding lights and sirens in no time!
    "Once You Find Something You Enjoy Doing, Then It's No Longer Work!"

"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue"-Adm. Nimitz about Marines in the Battle of Iwo Jima

Forum Member

Sachse - Your thoughts on the exam? I thought it went well considering I finished. The math was a bit draining...not too hard just some of the problems took so long to do.

USMC - What did you score on Irving's?

Forum Member

I thought it was one of the more challenging tests that I've taken (out of 5 cities). I finished with only about 7 or 8 minutes left. I thought the amount of material covered on the verbal comprehension was a little excessive…

There seemed to only be about 300 or so taking the test and well over half were still working when I was done. I wonder how many of those guys were sweating it towards the end and just blindly bubbling the scantron.

Forum Member

what are they requirements to test for irving. i would have taken the test had i know they were testing.

Forum Member

With those verbal questions.... what did you put for the 5 engines and how many should be with a radio.... and the stopping distance for 5-8 mph.

I think I got the stopping distance wrong.

Forum Member

Got my letter... made an 80 and ranked surprisingly high....guess this was an abnormally hard test. No further instructions given.

MembersZone Subscriber

Also received my letter yesterday. Scored a 78. My lowest score with a city, and my highest rank so far. I thought the test was brutal, I guess I was right. Where did a score of 80 put you?

No further instructions either, but I thought they said the physical agility test would be on March 27th. I'm assuming once they decide how many they will invite to the physical they'll send out another letter.
    Last edited by spuddy216; 03-16-2010 at 06:53 PM.

Forum Member

When did they post the open registration to test for irving?

Forum Member

My mail just ran & nothing but junk...maybe tomorrow.

For Irving, you had to sign up on their site & then they would send you a letter when they were ready.

Forum Member

Just got a certified packet containing background packet and everything for the physical. I'm in the 20's.

Forum Member

I got my certified packet in the mail...but still don't know my score / ranking.

techguy, I'm taking it that you got two pieces of mail from them?

Forum Member

Ya. Just a letter Wednesday with score/rank and Thurs got the packet.

Forum Member

I don't think this is the full background packet. But on the question...

"Have you ever been involved in any court proceedings?"

This isn't talking about traffic tickets and going to the court house to pay for defensive driving is it? Trying to figure out if I should list my tickets here.

MembersZone Subscriber

I wasn't sure either on the traffic violations. It does state "traffic violations, parking, etc." Is going to court for a traffic ticket a Civil or Criminal court action?

What about the portion that asks if you are indebted to anyone? Does that mean an individual? Or are they asking about any debt (cars, mortgage, credit cards)?

Forum Member

My thought is actual court proceedings. All I have ever done is just gone to the cashiers office. I don't think I am going to list them... hope it doesnt come back to bite me. I'm sure on the more comprehensive background there will be a place to list all traffic violations.

I don't think it's talking about owing a 100 bucks to a friend on a sports bet. More along the lines of credit cards, blockbuster, etc. Again, I have no idea... just what I think. Some of this is kinda confusing.

Rumor is they are up to hiring 12.

Forum Member

Techguy - I took that as literal court activities, and not as showing up to take care of tickets.

Spuddy216 - I listed all that I'm indebted to, which thankfully is only the house and 1 cc company.

I think I will be close to bringing up the rear tomorrow...I may have to bring lunch, a book and maybe a sleeping bag.

Forum Member

could also mean civil law suits

does irving have max tickets you can get with in a certain persiod of time???

suggest listing tickets, because they will find out one way or another, and looks better if you tell all up front

Forum Member

Ok. 1 more. On listing credit references... I only have one credit card, is this who I would list? A paid off truck...? At&t?

Forum Member

Yeah. I have listed a cc company that I have had for a long time, my mortgage co and my truck that's paid off.

MembersZone Subscriber

I sent an email to Ms Hoppers for clarification. If I hear back I'll post her reply. When I called in the lady who answered said there have been a lot of calls regarding the personal history statement today.

Thread Information