Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Question How long should you give vendors to bid?

It's for an ambulance. 2 weeks? 4 weeks? 8 weeks? Thanks!

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink

We just purchased an ambulance last year, we allowed four weeks to return bids, we purchased a Lifeline Ambulance on the Chevy 4500 Chassis. If you hace any questions please e-mail me at bainterg@webstergroves.org.

Good Luck!

We allowed two weeks for bids to be returned on our tanker grant. The bid packets were mailed out on Tuesday Feb 16th and have to be received by 2:00 p.m. cst on Friday March 5th.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hfdfiremedic32 View Post
    We allowed two weeks for bids to be returned on our tanker grant. The bid packets were mailed out on Tuesday Feb 16th and have to be received by 2:00 p.m. cst on Friday March 5th.
    How is that working out for you? Has anyone complained about the short notice?

I'd like to only give 2 weeks, since I'll be home from school in exactly 2 weeks from this Friday (it'd be nice to actually be involved in our company's decision since I wrote the grant) Hopefully, our award date is this Friday.

No complaints so far. We had 17 vendors request bid packets a few were obscure companies that none of us had ever heard of before. Will find out this Friday if we gave enough time when we open the bids.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our pumper-tanker we allowed 6 weeks, quick attack 4 weeks. I got some grumbling on the 4 weeks for the quick attack, but they got the bid in.

The bigger the apparatus, the more time I'd give them. Some of it may also depend on your bids. With an ambulance, I can't imagine it being that big of a deal, but I'd personally give them 3-4 weeks.

MembersZone Subscriber

We allowed the vendors 3 weeks when we sent out bids for our brush truck in '05. With the use of computers time frames can be some what shorter as they only need to input your bid parameters (requirements, options etc.) into the computer to produce the document. The more complicated the bid the longer time frame you may want to supply, but the most we have done is 30 days for any larger apparatus (pumps, aerials).

I would think 3 weeks would be more than enough for an ambulance bid.

Just remember if you are part of a municipality you need to follow their requirements for bidding time frames.

Forum Member

Default Bids

We always allow 10 days and e-mail to those who prefer. Normally returned 2hrs. prior to bid opening. Some like to hand carry and be at bid opening.

Talking

For our ambulance last year, we allowed 15 days.
    The bidders had no problem with this. they were sent the bid package by e-mail.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DTaa66 View Post
    We always allow 10 days and e-mail to those who prefer. Normally returned 2hrs. prior to bid opening. Some like to hand carry and be at bid opening.
    For turnouts, wildland and scba I gave three vendors 10 days. They have till Wednesday at 3:00pm and bids must arrived sealed and clearly marked. Got the first one this morning.

Forum Member

We gave them until the end of this month, but we wanted time to have them bring in gear and SCBA to evaluate up close and personal.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by OsbornFPD View Post
    We gave them until the end of this month, but we wanted time to have them bring in gear and SCBA to evaluate up close and personal.
    When we did our gear, it was two or three months before we even sent out bids so we could demo the gear.

With our grant this year, I've been getting a head start getting nozzle demo's so I can be ready to roll when the day comes.

Forum Member

we have the equipment come to our station to inspect and try out before our grant or decide a purchase. In order to bid the equipment must have been inspected before hand.
    We had a salesman for a pumper tell us if we were going to buy it he would come by to show it to us. Told him that he would not receive a bid package.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    When we did our gear, it was two or three months before we even sent out bids so we could demo the gear.

With our grant this year, I've been getting a head start getting nozzle demo's so I can be ready to roll when the day comes.
    I thought you couldn't have any contact with a vendor unless it was a regular sales route visit.

Well you gotta know what product to bid, so it's sometimes necessary to get demo stuff.

Nothing says you are even buying from the vendor who's providing the demo stuff (sometimes the manufacturer will), but if you demo Product A, B, and C and decide to buy Product A, you can still get 3 or so bids (generally) from different vendors who sell Product A.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jam24u View Post
    I thought you couldn't have any contact with a vendor unless it was a regular sales route visit.
    I've actually never heard that one, I've only understood it as you can't get spec information. Aside from that, this was a regional rep from a manufacturer (not vendor) that was showing me the whole line of products, not just what the grant's for. We've been trying to get together since well before we got the 1199a or anything, just finally found a night that worked.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SLY4420 View Post
    Well you gotta know what product to bid, so it's sometimes necessary to get demo stuff.

Nothing says you are even buying from the vendor who's providing the demo stuff (sometimes the manufacturer will), but if you demo Product A, B, and C and decide to buy Product A, you can still get 3 or so bids (generally) from different vendors who sell Product A.
    That's pretty much where I'm at. I'm debating between Product A and B and not sure which to go with. Well, I am now, but at the time it wasn't the case. Even though I know which I'm going with, I can still easily get three bids.

Plus, they've got a lot more stuff than what I'm getting with this grant to look at.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jam24u View Post
    You can have contact with a vendor for any reason, but if it is dealing with the development, assistance etc. with bid specs they are no longer alllowed to bid on that project.
    Last edited by onebugle; 03-02-2010 at 08:30 AM.

Thread Information