Thread: 09 grants.

Default 09 grants.

What is going on with the AFG and the fire station grants?

I have not recieved anything on them yet. We have two AFG grants and a grant to help convert a building into a new fire station. We purchased the building for $425,000 and applied for $500,000 to renovate. We were hoping that since we were putting nearly 40% percent into the project that they would give us consideration. The other two are for equipment and a tanker.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by 1500chief View Post

I have not recieved anything on them yet. We have two AFG grants and a grant to help convert a building into a new fire station. We purchased the building for $425,000 and applied for $500,000 to renovate. We were hoping that since we were putting nearly 40% percent into the project that they would give us consideration. The other two are for equipment and a tanker.
    If you have not heard positive about the station construction grants by now, then you are not going to hear positive.

Have you seen an 1199 or a reduction in your AFG grants?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by 1500chief View Post

Hey Chief I hear you. I also havenít got a DJ. We all are in the same boat. I havenít heard anything from my SCG. I know they are about out of money in that fund. I have been told it will be three or four more awards and that is all. It is unbelievable the deference from last year to this year. We have heard all kinds of reasons to why one of the best grant programs in this country has got to this point but about all we can do is seat back and wait. About the time I start to get disgusted I think back to when there was no AFG program. I really canít complain because I was awarded an FO grant in the first round this year. I know there was a lot of work getting the SCG application done in time because I did it also. So much for having it shovel ready.

Forum Member

The only thing the feds are shoveling is a bunch of nothing!! Despite promises by so many people here and from so called regional reps, here we are another day with nothing to show for it! Unless someone can tell us what date these so called 199a's are coming, I find it hard to believe any good news is coming to us still waiting.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Jman136 View Post
    The only thing the feds are shoveling is a bunch of nothing!! Despite promises by so many people here and from so called regional reps, here we are another day with nothing to show for it! Unless someone can tell us what date these so called 199a's are coming, I find it hard to believe any good news is coming to us still waiting.
    Find it hard to believe all you want - more, lots more are coming.

MembersZone Subscriber

JMan136,

The air in your station must be pretty stale and moral must suck ?

So I took the liberty and made a phone call on your behalf. You are to contact Mr. Wentworth @ 1-866-494-9094. He will evaluate and work with you to ensure that all proper documentation is in place. Explain to him it's your money and you want it now.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mtndew21 View Post
    JMan136,

The air in your station must be pretty stale and moral must suck ?

So I took the liberty and made a phone call on your behalf. You are to contact Mr. Wentworth @ 1-866-494-9094. He will evaluate and work with you to ensure that all proper documentation is in place. Explain to him it's your money and you want it now.
    LOL....

You slay me!

Forum Member

The only thing the feds are shoveling is a bunch of nothing!! Despite promises by so many people here and from so called regional reps, here we are another day with nothing to show for it!
    Could you provide us with your department name? I'll be glad to call and check on the status of your application and provide them with all of your positive comments towards the hard working staff. Hopefully that will help push your application just a little closer to being awarded or denied. Either way we won't have to listen to you any more.

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by SLY4420 View Post
    Could you provide us with your department name? I'll be glad to call and check on the status of your application and provide them with all of your positive comments towards the hard working staff. Hopefully that will help push your application just a little closer to being awarded or denied. Either way we won't have to listen to you any more.
    Applause !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum Member

Thank you, now maybe we can get back to being productive in these threads.

Forum Member

You guys are just mean. When I first read the post, I thought wow these guys are being really nice trying to help me out. Then I realize just how mean you were being. Well I am so glad you people that have gotten grants can be so judgmental!! Well I have nothing and it seems like another day of it, so do not even tell me that they are a coming. I believe you little boys have cried wolf one too many times.

Forum Member

When I first read the post, I thought wow these guys are being really nice trying to help me out.
    We were. And have been.

You choose not to listen to anything being said to you.

Therefor, we've given up. You should too.

Forum Member

Thumbs down

You guys are just mean. When I first read the post, I thought wow these guys are being really nice trying to help me out. Then I realize just how mean you were being. Well I am so glad you people that have gotten grants can be so judgmental!! Well I have nothing and it seems like another day of it, so do not even tell me that they are a coming. I believe you little boys have cried wolf one too many times.
    We're not trying to be mean. When I first started writing grants I was successful. I have been to seminars at least once a year since. I'm on Fire House everyday, for the most part just reading these forms and learning. The sad part about the grant system is that not everyone is going to get a grant no matter how bad we need what we say we need and no matter how well you write a grant. The hard part is selling your self to the system, trying to define your need and how you can't provide a service that is needed. We all have had stop and think, is it a need or a want. Then where does it fall on the priority list as far as AFG in concerned. There are so really super people on these forms and you can learn a ton of info from them. While I'll agree that it sucks sitting and waiting on your fate, there's nothing you or I are going to do about it. All the complaining in the world will not change it. At least there's a program available. What did we all do before the grant system. We made do, we sold hoggies, served dinners, did car washes and so on.

If you need help with a particular project, ask. There are people, including myself who have asked for ideas. Most of us do not mind providing a copy of a successful grant, we just ask that you don't cut and paste. Like I said previously, my past two grants for our department have been late rounds, I'm talking August and September. For 2009 I have heard nothing on my department's grant, but a grant I wrote for another department hit on the third round.

One of the best things you can do is attend one of Kurt's or Brian's seminars. I know they cost a money, however the return is worth the expense. It took me forever to get my department to send me to the seminars, and they still complain, but when I show them I have gotten them over $250K in three years and their expense was less than $3K, counting next weeks seminar, they saw the big picutre. I, as many other's here write grants for other departments for free. We all are in the same boat.

This is a very competitive program. The reviewers only have 6 minutes to read your application. I can't imagine reading thousands of applications and only havig 6 minutes to decide someone fate. This is why we have to do and use every available tool to become successful, and even then, we all aint getting, no matter how good the grant was or how bad we need something.

When you say you have nothing, what was your grant for? Have you asked for anyone's help?

Again, if you need help, ask. You'll be surprised at the results. I have been in your shoes. I think your response of calling some of us "cry babies" is a little uncalled for. Don't slap the hands that could help yoy. Look at the states that are posted. Much money left to be had. I, like everyone else have their fingers crossed. It is what it is. It'll come when it comes.

Forum Member

Sorry, my fingers were working faster than my brain. What I meant to say in the beginning of my rely was when I first started writting grants I was UNSUCCESSFUL.

SLY is right, we were only trying to help. I'm not giving up on the grant. And there's a prime example of someone who could be a wealth of info. SLY, One Bugle, Green Acres, Attack, Jam and so many others are awsome. Of course it helps that I have meant these outstanding gentleman, well with the exception of Green Acres. There are just so many people here that willing to help. Just ask. But first and foremost, we have to remember we are all not always going to get a grant. That is just a fact that we all have accepted.

Good luck.

Forum Member

Hey, JMan, I do feel your frustration but try not to lose faith in the system. We applied for a fire station construction grant and we haven't heard anything yet. I'm assuming at this stage that we won't here anything. I think the SCG was a great thing and I hope to see more funding for construction. The thing that frustrates me is if you look at the awards, 0 in my state. Although I try to understand why, it still frustrates me. We also applied for an AFG grant. We haven't heard anything yet either. However, it is still VERY early in the 2009 AFG process. We have been fortunate enough to have been awarded several AFG grants and for that I am grateful. As far as this year goes...well if we hear good news, that's great. If we get the dreaded DJ letter, I'm still happy for all of the other departments out there that are successful and we'll try again next year.

Forum Member

Jman, you have an 1199A showing, you're going to be funded and 15,000 other applications aren't. Those that have been posting know this, have been telling you this, but you're still Mr Grumpy.

Now you want to read about grumpy, this Mr. Grumpy is in a BAD mood--until he gets a visit from Mr. Tickle!

Me I'd prefer Mrs Tickle, but it's a free country...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

I do not yet have a 1199a. They keep say more are coming, but I have not yet seen it. So people have said there is a long way to go. Well maybe in past years. In the past we were way ahead of awards by this point. It has been stated that all awards will be issued by the time 2010 AFG opens, and the date given for that is March 29th. So, there is not much time left.
    I am sorry if you think I am grumpy, all I am looking for is a date when all the rest of the 1199a's will be released or when they will DJ the rest.

Forum Member

Forum Member

Hey Sly, I didn't know you had the same health insurance company I had at the old job. That was their first step for everything, then the fine lines said headaches weren't covered....

Jman, reduction, 1199A same difference. It's funding. No one knows when. That's the fun part of being in this country when everyone screams to get laws past to account for this, that, the other thing, then wonder why it takes forever to get anything done. Not saying you're in that boat of overlegislation, just a soap box observation. Like the FSC delays, that's all EPA stuff holding them up. Which I'm all for preservation, but sometimes it's a short survey to figure there's no snowy spotted owl in the deserts of Nevada. And we should save them, after all next to baby harbor seals they're the best tasting other white meat out there....

MembersZone Subscriber

No one is trying to be mean, except maybe for the guy who is bashing the "feds" and calling people "little boys".

A lot of the people here have friends that are those "feds" as you call them. We can guarantee they don't like the delays any more than us - and that they are not sitting there on their hands in the meantime.

It will happen when it does, is it what it is, goosefabah.

Until those additional 1199's are released, I am planning a couple of OPS grant applications, and a couple of vehicle applications. If I don't need them all because I get awarded - then so much the better.

And of course,

I like turtles.

Forum Member

Jman

One of the biggest things everyone will tell you is the waiting is torture and grants teach us all lessons in patience. ALot of us are in the same boat waiting for news.

Forum Member

LVFD Turtles are Awsome!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    I like turtles.

Now you sound the kids down at my department!

First true LOL of the week!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    Jman, you have an 1199A showing, you're going to be funded and 15,000 other applications aren't. Those that have been posting know this, have been telling you this, but you're still Mr Grumpy.

Now you want to read about grumpy, this Mr. Grumpy is in a BAD mood--until he gets a visit from Mr. Tickle!

Me I'd prefer Mrs Tickle, but it's a free country...
    WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This guy has a 1199A showing and he continues to act like Mr. Grumpy. What up dog? Your alot further in the game than some of the rest of us.

P.S. Brian, on the same team, would also prefer Mrs Tickle.

Forum Member

Once again, you crack me up. See ya next Tuesday in Tampa at beer:30.

Thread Information