Forum Member

Default UK Firefigter visiting NY advice required

Hi,

Greetings from a uk Firefighter looking forward to visiting New York in April 2010.

The purpose of the trip is to celebrate Wife's 40th Birthday and I would be grateful for any advice on the following.

We are arriving on 29th April in Brooklyn Docks and I,m trying to sort out a transfer from the Ship to our Hotel in Downtown Manhattan 44th Street, my idea is to surprise my wife by arranging a special vehicle to do this instead of a taxi I was wondering if anyone there has a Fire Tender to do the trip, I know its a long shot but hey, you never know.

I will be coming to the US with some t shirts and stuff to swap, what is the nearest Station to UN Plaza 44th Street? how can i get in touch to arrange a visit?

Hope someone can help.

Thanks

Chris

Forum Member

your not gonna have any luck w/ a fire apparatus picking you up. I believe the closest FH to the UN is either Engine 21 which is a single engine company at 238 East 40th Street or Engine 8 and Ladder 2 at 165 East 51st Street. Just knock on the door and have a couple of cakes or goodies for the brothers and ask for a tour around the firehouse. Let them know your a fireman in the UK.

Good Luck and enjoy,

Barry

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rutland Firefighter View Post
    Hi,

Greetings from a uk Firefighter looking forward to visiting New York in April 2010.

The purpose of the trip is to celebrate Wife's 40th Birthday and I would be grateful for any advice on the following.

We are arriving on 29th April in Brooklyn Docks and I,m trying to sort out a transfer from the Ship to our Hotel in Downtown Manhattan 44th Street, my idea is to surprise my wife by arranging a special vehicle to do this instead of a taxi I was wondering if anyone there has a Fire Tender to do the trip, I know its a long shot but hey, you never know.

I will be coming to the US with some t shirts and stuff to swap, what is the nearest Station to UN Plaza 44th Street? how can i get in touch to arrange a visit?

Hope someone can help.

Thanks

Chris

A Cab is all you are going to get.

The FDNY doesn't do nor have the time for hauling vistors to and from the airport, unless you are an VIP!

Sorry Chap! You are own your own!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

I doubt he was expecting that ....

Are there antique firetrucks from fire museums in the area that get hired out to do community events, a kid's birthday party, weddings, that sort of thing? That's the route I'd take if I wanted to arrange something like that.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

in Long Island maybe, but not NYC.

Forum Member

you can go to the academy or head to montour falls way upstate NY. thats a very good place to train and the memorial there is amazing. and unless you know a few buds in FDNY they cant pick you up. they been very busy lately and some shorts have been going on as well. but if you show up at the house with some grub and drinks( non-adult unless off shift.. ) they will gladly show you around.

Thread Information