Forum Member

Default Need advice on which job offer to take

Hey all,

Today I received two job offers for wildland firefighter. One from the USFS for a full summer position, and another from a local fire district that runs a wildland program. Both are for engine crews.

The fire district job is for mainly district fires (in Tucson, AZ), with the occasional out of district fire if things are really slow in district. However, this position only runs till beginning of July. The benefits I can see in taking this job is that it'll help me get some contacts and familiarity with the chiefs and people so when I eventually apply for a full time structure firefighter, I might have my face and name already recognized. The downside is that it seems like they don't see that much action, and it only runs till July.

The Forest Service one, I'm assuming the people on this forum are more familiar with. I'm not too familiar with how things are run there and whatnot, but it seems like there's things to weigh for that option as well.

Any advice and/or different perspectives would be greatly appreciated.

PS, the district lady needs to know by tomorrow (tuesday march 2) for an answer about the job.

Thanks!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ygarrard View Post
    Hey all,

Today I received two job offers for wildland firefighter. One from the USFS for a full summer position, and another from a local fire district that runs a wildland program. Both are for engine crews.

The fire district job is for mainly district fires (in Tucson, AZ), with the occasional out of district fire if things are really slow in district. However, this position only runs till beginning of July. The benefits I can see in taking this job is that it'll help me get some contacts and familiarity with the chiefs and people so when I eventually apply for a full time structure firefighter, I might have my face and name already recognized. The downside is that it seems like they don't see that much action, and it only runs till July.

The Forest Service one, I'm assuming the people on this forum are more familiar with. I'm not too familiar with how things are run there and whatnot, but it seems like there's things to weigh for that option as well.

Any advice and/or different perspectives would be greatly appreciated.

PS, the district lady needs to know by tomorrow (tuesday march 2) for an answer about the job.

Thanks!
    Forest Service job.

Forum Member

i think youll get more out of USFS then the local district.

is the district, NWFRD?

Forum Member

Smile What a great dilemma

I've gotta say, that's a great problem to have! Choice between a FS job and NWFD Wildland Team (I'm assuming it's NW). NW's Wildland pragram has a great reputation, and who wouldn't want to get on with the gub'ment?

Since it's now past the 2nd, you've gotta let us know.... which did you choose?

Forum Member

hey guys, I went ahead and chose the USFS, since I figured I can always apply for the NWFD hotshot crew next summer, or the summer after that, (since i'm a junior in college and won't really be able to do a shot crew for at least another year due to my school schedule).

I figured I'll get dispatched to a lot more fires with the USFS, since they probably have higher priority than the district, but it was difficult in giving up the chance to network with the district chiefs and people for when I apply for a structure job in the future with them, but oh well.

Thread Information