Forum Member

Talking Me and my son need your help!

I have been working on a scaled down model of an scba to fit my 4 yr old son,It has the option of being fully funcional or just for looks along with a pass device,this boy eats sleeps and breaths fire dept. I am looking for a small,maybe even the smallest mask that I can find to fit his little face, can anyone point me in the right direction? just so you know i am not allowing him to go on air.

Back In Black

I'm hesitant to offer advice, but I would make it completely non-functional and no facemask.

This sounds like it could be dangerous.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    I'm hesitant to offer advice, but I would make it completely non-functional and no facemask.

This sounds like it could be dangerous.
    Agreed, It should be "my son and I need your help." Sounds like a cool 4 y/o.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BOFD12 View Post
    I have been working on a scaled down model of an scba to fit my 4 yr old son,It has the option of being fully funcional or just for looks along with a pass device,this boy eats sleeps and breaths fire dept. I am looking for a small,maybe even the smallest mask that I can find to fit his little face, can anyone point me in the right direction? just so you know i am not allowing him to go on air.
    Why don't you just go to Toys R Us and buy one of the fake, plastic SCBA sets....Much cheaper, and SAFE.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

I fully agree,I have no plans to have him on air,it would only be a mask that would be (hollowed out) for a lack of better description,no connection of regulator , Ive tried all of the toys rus junk out there and thats just what it is JUNK. Trust me,I have definitely thought of all of the safety issues with this and wouldnt put junior at risk,I want it as realistic as possible for him as well as safe,Thanks for all of you guys comments and opinions.

Back In Black

I fully agree,I have no plans to have him on air,it would only be a mask that would be (hollowed out) for a lack of better description,no connection of regulator , Ive tried all of the toys rus junk out there and thats just what it is JUNK. Trust me,I have definitely thought of all of the safety issues with this and wouldnt put junior at risk,I want it as realistic as possible for him as well as safe,Thanks for all of you guys comments and opinions.
    Cool. Hope I didn't offend ya, just some folks come on here and make me scratch my head.

What about a 2 liter coke bottle for an airpack tank? Nice and light, just have to duct tape some straps on it.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

So I have to ask the question- From the highlighted statements above, one would gather that you have a source of compressed air involved with this "toy" SCBA. Do you, and if so, what is the pressure involved, the capacity, and what is the source of the air?

MembersZone Subscriber

If you have friends in the plants (And in Beaumont I am sure you do) ask them to check with their Safety Dept for a decommissioned Scott ELSA pack. It is a 5 to 15 min 2116 psi escape system. When I worked part time for BCP the always had several on the scrape heap.
    The bottles are 10 to 14 inches long and have a 24" hose attached to a clear plastic hood. All you would need is an old Cub Scout back pack to affix it to. Take some water pipe insulating foam sleeves and ring the edge of a small Scott or MSA mask and you are in business.
    Hope this helps.

MembersZone Subscriber

If money isn't much of a concern, look into some of the SCUBA pony bottles. You could easily weld something together to function as a pack for the bottle. I would steer clear of ever pressuring it just in case he drops it or the such... wouldn't want that possible missile.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just about any homemade deal would satisfy and work for a 4 year old. I like the 2 liter bottle idea with some home made straps. They also make super soaker water guns with backpacks that look like bottles, maybe one of them would work? Might need a different paint job but it would work I'm sure.

Or one of these might work:
    http://www.costumecraze.com/PLAY96.html

For a mask you can buy this kids costume:
    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...LAID=348438853

I personally wouldn't spend that kind of money because I'm sure it will be broken within a year. I would make one out of a 2 liter bottle with some nylon straps taped to the bottle to go around him. If he really really really wants a mask, I would get a simple oxygen mask, one without the rebreather bag or the valves on the side of the mask.

That's cool that you are letting him explore his imagination. Keep him away from the badges and gunbelts of cops though!!!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Acklan View Post
    If you have friends in the plants (And in Beaumont I am sure you do) ask them to check with their Safety Dept for a decommissioned Scott ELSA pack. It is a 5 to 15 min 2116 psi escape system. When I worked part time for BCP the always had several on the scrape heap.
    The bottles are 10 to 14 inches long and have a 24" hose attached to a clear plastic hood. All you would need is an old Cub Scout back pack to affix it to. Take some water pipe insulating foam sleeves and ring the edge of a small Scott or MSA mask and you are in business.
    Hope this helps.
    you nailed it, i have an ELSA cylinder already along with the hose,I am fabricating the harness myself,thanks for the idea about the insulation sleeves,that should fix it right up!

Forum Member

find some large PVC maybe 4-6 inch. You can cap both ends and affix hardware on the "bottom" to make it look like a bottle. Spray paint it yellow. Make a little harness for it. Not sure what you'd do for a mask.

Forum Member

I found an old emergency playset with SCBA at a yard sale, my child loved it. Might be able to find one on ebay. It appears that they were sold in the 70's.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by captainchaos; 03-03-2010 at 04:04 AM.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by captainchaos View Post
    I found an old emergency playset with SCBA at a yard sale, my child loved it. Might be able to fine one on ebay. It appears that they were sold in the 70's.
    I used to have that same set!

Forum Member

I hope you intend to post pictures when you're done BOFD12, curious minds want to see the finished product.

Oh, and on the original topic, I used to have an old white extinguisher, I don't remember the size, but I put two straps on that, and used that lol. I was set up as a kid. I had an entire set of gear (minus the boots) my makeshift SCBA, my mask, I had hose, OH so much hose, and one of the old style wildland nozzles to go on it. And my Radio Flyer even had an intake and a discharge on it. Mock of course, I couldn't flow water through them. (But that didn't stop me from taping the hose to the garden hose spigot ) I thought I was such a bad ***. I think at one point, I even had one of those electronic bike sirens on my huffy, that I used to pull the wagon.

Oh the joys of being a kid. I had so much fun with that stuff.
    Last edited by Chenzo; 03-03-2010 at 01:18 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

you nailed it, i have an ELSA cylinder already along with the hose,I am fabricating the harness myself,thanks for the idea about the insulation sleeves,that should fix it right up!
    I bought this, FF suit, for my boy when he was 4 yrs for Halloweens back in '03. Never built an SCBA. Wish I would have thought of that.
    Divorce Club (Harbor Freight) make a 3/4 size pick axes for about $15. Of course a preschooler with a bladed tool is not a good idea. May want to blunt it on a grinder.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have seen an SCBA made from an empty bleach bottle. They cut a few holes into the bottle to slide straps into and then painted it yellow. The bottle was upside down on his back to look more realistic. It was kind of neat. I have not yet made one for my son but thinking about it, he does however have a full set of bunker gear to include lid.

Forum Member

Divorce Club (Harbor Freight)
    Oh...Good old Harbor Freight...I wonder what would happen if one caught on fire???
    With all that toxic imported junk I think it would be a BIG one...

Forum Member

Divorce Club (Harbor Freight) make a 3/4 size pick axes for about $15.
    JUNK!

My Divorce Attorney drives around in his mobile office and visits YOU. maybe you have seen him- it's a big, white bread-truck looking thing that says "SNAP-ON" on the side.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    JUNK!

My Divorce Attorney drives around in his mobile office and visits YOU. maybe you have seen him- it's a big, white bread-truck looking thing that says "SNAP-ON" on the side.

A whitebread-truck looking that says snap on on the side, I think I have seen him before, know him very well.

He is my girlfriend cousenling.
    Last edited by lvfd2167; 03-04-2010 at 11:34 PM.

Forum Member

Thumbs down

You are the one who need help, wanting to put a breather on a child that age! Come on fellow!

What does his Mother have to say about this???
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

come on cpt old timer,
    what is so wrong about wanting to build something for my son to play with? Im a very cautious and responsible parent ! Im not trying to build him a crack pipe. I need help dealing with people who are always so negative,give me a break.

Forum Member

come on cpt old timer,
    what is so wrong about wanting to build something for my son to play with? Im a very cautious and responsible parent ! Im not trying to build him a crack pipe. I need help dealing with people who are always so negative,give me a break.
    You never answered my question in post #7.............

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by captainchaos View Post
    I found an old emergency playset with SCBA at a yard sale, my child loved it. Might be able to find one on ebay. It appears that they were sold in the 70's.
    I had one of these!!!!! Man I wish I still had it.
    Bill Davis
    West Harrison Fire Dept
    2009 Rookie of the Year
    www.westharrisonfire.com
    IACOJ Rookie-We all gotta start somewhere

Forum Member

Look for an old XS Tanker or Air Crewman's Field Protective Mask(Gas Mask) remove the filter and it will look like an older SCBA mask yet be safe for the kid
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Thread Information