Forum Member

Default Class 1 Caterpillar interface problem

We are putting a new pumper into service that has a Cat motor (1st for our FD) BUT having a problem with a check engine/Class 1 pressure governor.With check engine warning on, no pump throttle control. This does not happen all of the time. Also, getting a losupply message on the Class 1. This pumper is a 2008/09 Smeal Sirius pumper.

Forum Member

The good news is it'll be your last Cat.

Forum Member

Two questions: Who is your dealer, and is the Rig in service yet? Step one, call your dealer and have them send a service tech out. Sounds like an interface/sensor problem. Smeal is VERY good on product support or at least they have been with us.Low supply means your intake pressure requirement is NOT being met. Again,could be a sensor or calibration issue. Good luck!
    Last edited by Rescue101; 03-02-2010 at 11:53 AM.

Forum Member

My name is Mike Hansen...I'm the electrical engineer at Smeal Fire Apparatus. Call me at 402-568-2224. We will get this resolved right away.

Forum Member

Mikey, How's things?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Mikey, How's things?
    Doing great...everything good with you?

Forum Member

Yup,Rig's working great! We had a few minor bugs but it was good,I got to see what makes things tick(or not)and easy fix. So far,it is EXCEEDING our expectations. Say Hi to Jeff and the crew for me. Thanks for building such a nice tool.

Forum Member

Yup,Rig's working great! We had a few minor bugs but it was good,I got to see what makes things tick(or not)and easy fix. So far,it is EXCEEDING our expectations. Say Hi to Jeff and the crew for me. Thanks for building such a nice tool.
    Great (but not unusual ) to hear! I'll pass this along.

Forum Member

Two questions: Who is your dealer, and is the Rig in service yet? Step one, call your dealer and have them send a service tech out. Sounds like an interface/sensor problem. Smeal is VERY good on product support or at least they have been with us.Low supply means your intake pressure requirement is NOT being met. Again,could be a sensor or calibration issue. Good luck!
    After driving this truck today, the check engine light/alarm will go on & stay on for approx. 4-5 miles, go off for approx. 3-4 miles, back on again, off again, etc. Once stopped, as long as the check engine light/alarm is off, the pump panel throttle works fine. Walked away from the truck, truck in pump and throttled up by either pressure mode or rpm mode, the truck idled down and check engine light/alarm will start. Also, the display screen will request the operator to push the idle button, losupply will show on the display screen. Set the mode to either pressure or rpm, pump panel throttle will not work. I was hoping someone from the west coast would have an idea (seeing that this is a popular motor used out there).**NO DPF REGEN LIGHTS DISPLAYED**
    I truely believe that this is a Cat problem. I know all about Smeal's quality, currently assigned to a 1997 HME/Smeal pumper that is putting our newer Pierce pumpers to shame. I will call Mike tomorrow to pick his brain.

Forum Member

LoSupply is usually displayed when the discharge pressure drops below 30 psi for 5 seconds or so. If the engine is losing (or ignoring) the signal from the governor and goes to idle, the governor will see the drop in pressure and essentially think the pump is running out of water.

The throttle control on this engine should be done via the J1939 datalink rather than with the traditional 5v signal (or in Cat's case, a PWM signal).

On the speedo, there should be a fault code...SPN (or PID) and FMI. I'd like to know what those codes are.

Also...when the truck fails, what is the status of the three green interlock lights on the governor (Pump Engaged, OK to Pump, and Throttle Ready)?

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by SFA Electrical View Post
    LoSupply is usually displayed when the discharge pressure drops below 30 psi for 5 seconds or so. If the engine is losing (or ignoring) the signal from the governor and goes to idle, the governor will see the drop in pressure and essentially think the pump is running out of water.

The throttle control on this engine should be done via the J1939 datalink rather than with the traditional 5v signal (or in Cat's case, a PWM signal).

On the speedo, there should be a fault code...SPN (or PID) and FMI. I'd like to know what those codes are.

Also...when the truck fails, what is the status of the three green interlock lights on the governor (Pump Engaged, OK to Pump, and Throttle Ready)?

Update; Thanks Mike, with your assistance NEFEA repaired the electrical issue. The truck went back in service last night without a glitch. As usual, nice talking with you. Tell Delwin & the whole crew to also keep up the good work!

Forum Member

Ah Ha,So YOU'RE the reason my compartment light isn't fixed,hehe T.C.

Forum Member

Ah Ha,So YOU'RE the reason my compartment light isn't fixed,hehe T.C

Hey Tim
    I hear that they had to get their new delivery guy to repair this. NEFEA had just finished up & delivered another 100 FT m/m tower and before pushing on to the next new delivery, they got him over to this minor problem. Stay safe!
    Last edited by naztruk; 03-06-2010 at 12:16 PM. Reason: quote not highlighted

Thread Information