1. #1
    Forum Member
    FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    10,281

    Default firehouse banter

    This idea hit me this morning after a typical exchange at my station. All light hearted of course:

    "Get out of my way you whiners I have work to do."

    "Like what Don? Sleeping already?"

    Nope I have to tape the handle of another tool. My goal is to have tape on every tool in the FD."

    "Really? Do you think you could put a knob on the end of my axe?"

    I said..."Isn't that taken care of when you are holding it?"

    He was speechless and the other guy standing there was laughing pretty good.

    Okay, if we can keep it LIGHT and FRIENDLY, what are some good natured insults that you fling at your Brothers in the station.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  2. #2
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,429

    Default

    -My former federal department's station underwent an extensive renovation of the common bunkroom and living quarters on the second floor in the late 1990's. The common bunkroom was changed over to individual rooms, which you shared with someone on the other shift that you didn't work with (seven group chart....) The newly created (quite large and expansive) upstairs area had lots of hallways that we named "neighborhoods." Somehow my "neighborhood" was designated the "red light" district or "The Ghetto." And anyone in any of the rooms in my neighborhood were my "bitches", and I of course was the pimp daddy because I was from the "Big City" (philly.)

    -"Dont just do something, stand there!"
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    Chenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Rural WI
    Posts
    1,253

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    This idea hit me this morning after a typical exchange at my station. All light hearted of course:

    "Get out of my way you whiners I have work to do."

    "Like what Don? Sleeping already?"

    Nope I have to tape the handle of another tool. My goal is to have tape on every tool in the FD."

    "Really? Do you think you could put a knob on the end of my axe?"

    I said..."Isn't that taken care of when you are holding it?"

    He was speechless and the other guy standing there was laughing pretty good.

    Okay, if we can keep it LIGHT and FRIENDLY, what are some good natured insults that you fling at your Brothers in the station.
    That's so you.

    From the GET OUTTA MY WAY, I HAVE WORK TO DO, to the knob comment.

    And how are you "working" as you call it, if you're sitting on firehouse?
    Last edited by Chenzo; 03-02-2010 at 12:49 PM.

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    10,281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chenzo View Post
    That's so you.

    From the GET OUTTA MY WAY, I HAVE WORK TO DO, to the knob comment.

    And how are you "working" as you call it, if you're sitting on firehouse?
    Been on 3 calls already. How about you EMS boy? Any runs yet?

    Nothing like you being the run control officer to put a damper on the day for the crew!!

    Um, as far as the work comment goes....REALLY? REALLY? Do you want to go there?
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    Chenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Rural WI
    Posts
    1,253

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Been on 3 calls already. How about you EMS boy? Any runs yet?

    Nothing like you being the run control officer to put a damper on the day for the crew!!

    Um, as far as the work comment goes....REALLY? REALLY? Do you want to go there?
    Lucky. We haven't had any runs yet. Took the ambulance to the store.... (oh god, don't tell Joe Shortsleeves from WBZ News...He'll be all over this....)

    I might as well just get a freakin' badge to wear around that says run control officer....

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    Chenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Rural WI
    Posts
    1,253

    Default

    Ya know, thinking about the run control thing. If it doesn't turn around, no one is gonna wanna f%$@*!& work with me...


  7. #7
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    213

    Default

    I work a double house. Majority of our banter revolves around the fact that the pump (my crew) can't cook, which we are cool with because the ladder can't do anything except cook! And they're iffy at best even with that!

  8. #8
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    VT
    Posts
    360

    Default

    Don't have any banter, but a couple of smart a**es put "You must be this tall to operate this vehicle" stickers on our Engines...

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    Bushwhacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Northern Rockies Region
    Posts
    638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pvfd27 View Post
    Don't have any banter, but a couple of smart a**es put "You must be this tall to operate this vehicle" stickers on our Engines...
    Hahah, thats kinda funny. I have a Captain that is fairly short but she is at the right level that if you pop off she can usually defend herself quit well.
    Courage, Being Scared to Death and Saddling Up anyways.

  10. #10
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,802

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    Hahah, thats kinda funny. I have a Captain that is fairly short but she is at the right level that if you pop off she can usually defend herself quit well.
    Last time one of us popped off at a female captain, the city got sued for a few million dollars.

  11. #11
    Forum Member
    Bushwhacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Northern Rockies Region
    Posts
    638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    Last time one of us popped off at a female captain, the city got sued for a few million dollars.
    ouch, that hurts....alot
    Courage, Being Scared to Death and Saddling Up anyways.

  12. #12
    Savage / Hyneman 08'

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    450

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pvfd27 View Post
    Don't have any banter, but a couple of smart a**es put "You must be this tall to operate this vehicle" stickers on our Engines...
    We have a short assistant chief we call yardstick.

    He's a 3 foot ruler.
    We do not rise to the occasion. We fall back to our level of training.

  13. #13
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pvfd27 View Post
    Don't have any banter, but a couple of smart a**es put "You must be this tall to operate this vehicle" stickers on our Engines...
    We bolted wood block to the pedals of the LaFrance, to pick with the FEO. Wood you like your very own wooden block for your truck? Send me your address and make of truck you drive.

  14. #14
    Forum Member
    Bushwhacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Northern Rockies Region
    Posts
    638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DFDMAXX View Post
    We have a short assistant chief we call yardstick.

    He's a 3 foot ruler.
    Oh my god I almost ****ed myself, That is AWESOME!
    Courage, Being Scared to Death and Saddling Up anyways.

  15. #15
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    On a lake
    Posts
    5

    Default Banter

    Had a guy we named "Birdy"..he is always squawking and always $hits on you.
    Respectfully,
    Jay R. Dudley
    Fire Commissioner
    District #2

    "You never get a second chance at a first impression"

  16. #16
    Forum Member
    CaptOldTimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,273

    Exclamation

    We had a guy who was called bullet. .22 short!




    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

    Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

  17. #17
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    42

    Default fng's

    we give the fng's a hard time. (f'n new guys). one of them couldn't get out of the resuce because he couldn't find the handle so we have had some fun with that.

  18. #18
    Forum Member
    Chenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Rural WI
    Posts
    1,253

    Default

    There's a younger guy on my department who forgot to pull the release on his SCBA one day..... So he tried to get in while the BA was still strapped in the seat. I laughed so hard at that. I can't imagine a time when I'll stop giving him grief for it.

  19. #19
    55 Years & Still Rolling
    hwoods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....
    Posts
    10,740

    Thumbs up And........

    I've been known to use "Look Kid, I got more time in 3rd Alarm Coffee Lines than you have in the Department...." and "Your Mother doesn't work here, so you have to clean it up yourself....." and my Favorite: "If your D.O.B. is after October 4th, 1958, I was doing this before you were born....."
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

    IACOJ Budget Analyst

    I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

    www.gdvfd18.com

  20. #20
    Forum Member
    mtg55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chenzo View Post
    There's a younger guy on my department who forgot to pull the release on his SCBA one day..... So he tried to get in while the BA was still strapped in the seat. I laughed so hard at that. I can't imagine a time when I'll stop giving him grief for it.
    Haha, we had a crew chief put on his seat belt in the front seat. Then he put on his SCBA......We were laughing so hard it was difficult to investigate the fire alarm we were dispatched to...he was still strugling when we returned to the truck
    Matt G.
    Battalion Chief
    IACOJ-Member
    FTM-PTB

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Manhunt Target Hid In Firehouse
    By Dalmatian90 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-23-2004, 01:58 PM
  2. Fire in our firehouse...
    By 911brad in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-03-2004, 05:32 PM
  3. Cleanest Vol. Firehouse Kitchen Awards
    By NJFFSA16 in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-27-2003, 02:38 PM
  4. Atlantic County Firehouse up in Flames!
    By mdoddsjffhnfc in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-05-2003, 12:15 PM
  5. Atlantic County Firehouse destroyed
    By mdoddsjffhnfc in forum Fire Wire
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-05-2003, 11:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register