Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pagers

Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post
    thirdly they can not respond on/in any vehicle that is running emergence traffic.
    Bull, even though we agree. In some states, they can respond on an emergency vehicle.

Now I'll run away as I'm sure that's gonna get some folks hot.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

we don't use pagers. Our dispatcher is on twitter so he just tweets out runs. Our explorers subscribe to his twitter, so whenever we get a job they get notified on their Iphone and leave class. I agree though, no pagers in school. Who would dare be seen with such antiquated electronics! Only the latest and greatest allowed here.

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Bull, even though we agree. In some states, they can respond on an emergency vehicle.

Now I'll run away as I'm sure that's gonna get some folks hot.
    Ok, I was mistaken. In NC they are not allowed to respond on a truck, running 10-18 traffic. Sorry Chief.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL
    http://sylvafiredeptnc.tripod.com

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    we don't use pagers. Our dispatcher is on twitter so he just tweets out runs. Our explorers subscribe to his twitter, so whenever we get a job they get notified on their Iphone and leave class. I agree though, no pagers in school. Who would dare be seen with such antiquated electronics! Only the latest and greatest allowed here.
    Also if they're phones are on vibrate, it does not disturb the whole class.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

Doesn't really matter...they probably can't get a signal anyways.

I don't actively prohibit ours from taking them to school. But I do tell them that if I find out it is causing a problem, the pager is going to end up somewhere they can't reach. They do not leave school for calls; we don't allow it and neither does the school so that is a non-issue right there.

Why do they want to have it then? Probably the same reason I used to have mine with me in high school. Keeping up on what was going on in town when I wasn't in class, and for when there incidents at the school. It is totally harmless and not distracting anyone from anything. Its not going off in the middle of math class here.

And for what its worth, it makes them happy and causes no harm, then whats the big deal.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

I'll keep score...Troll, 1; the rest of you, 0.

Banned

It is more a function of locality and not a broad sweeping policy statement. There are a couple of places around here that simply don't have any guys available during the day. We have several bedroom communities that have only farmers and retired people around during the day. I know of one department that counts on the young men showing up for day time calls.

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    It is more a function of locality and not a broad sweeping policy statement. There are a couple of places around here that simply don't have any guys available during the day. We have several bedroom communities that have only farmers and retired people around during the day. I know of one department that counts on the young men showing up for day time calls.
    Any "fire department" that relies on children (and that is exactly what a high school student is... a child) to fight fires and answer calls isn't a fire department. It is a lawsuit waiting to happen.
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 03-05-2010 at 11:50 AM. Reason: spelling correction.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post
    Why not? I think that its a great, idea. While we're at it, why not just carry a radio and park an engine outside of the building, so that you don't have to drive your own pov to the scene. The hell with school, being an Jr. is a lot more important. So you flunk out of school, no big deal. Responding to fires, where you can do much of anything is a whole lot more important than your education.
    You laugh. http://www.post53.org/

This is a town in my state. This explorer post IS the ambulance. Drivers, EMT's, radio dispatchers, everything. And they've been credited as one of the best in world. Their operation could be a model for other agencies run by "competent" adults.

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    You laugh. http://www.post53.org/

This is a town in my state. This explorer post IS the ambulance. Drivers, EMT's, radio dispatchers, everything. And they've been credited as one of the best in world. Their operation could be a model for other agencies run by "competent" adults.
    Brother nmfire...

They are more than likely the exception rather than the rule.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

I have problems with it. Juniors don't need pagers and don't need to be operating at fire scenes!

Stay in school and get an education! Have fun with the girls or boys!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

I'm with the NOs.

Post 53 is an exception to all of this. They have a good relation with the school district and their response aream and have existed for a long time.

Think of a pager as a cell phone going off in school. I find out quite annoying to hear them going off all day and everyone texting in class, let alone a Junior/Explorer sititng next to me while I take a test and his pager goes off with an EMS run in the city that he can't go to anyways. Same goes with a cell phone not on vibrate that goes off while I'm take a test. A I did in high school, I would tell the person to shut the piece of ***** off and make a big deal about it purposely so the teacher would take the dang thing away from the other student. I always left my phone in my book bag and I still even do in college. Nothing annoys me more than disrespect towards the teacher for trying to do his job teaching or instructing.

Have the kids focus on school when they're in school. There will be PLENTY of fires and EMS runs outsie of school hours tha they can listen or respond to. And they will have a long time left after they're out of high school to respond and listen to runs. Missing a couple runs in the 7 or 8 hours they're in school won't kill them.

For the record... If I lived in Darien, I would have probably tried to be a member of Post 53 and would've tried to be one of them leaving class for runs.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Any "fire department" that relies on children (and that is exactly what a high school student is... a child) to fight fires and answer calls isn't a fire department. It is a lawsuit waiting to happen.
    When people are treated like children they will act like children. Around here some people grow up a lot faster. We have 14 year olds out plowing the fields, working the farm, and working the family business. I do agree, we also have the children that sit back and wait for everything to be handed to them on a silver platter. I see these clueless children out protesting education cuts. Time for them to grow up and realize nothing in life is free. YOU want the better education then YOU pay for it.

Our idiot commissioner that runs the prisons for young adults. We have a school here for these thugs that are as young as 12 years old. That moron calls them children as well. Trust me, they are not children.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    I have problems with it. Juniors don't need pagers and don't need to be operating at fire scenes!

Stay in school and get an education! Have fun with the girls or boys!
    Why not treat like any other extra curricular activity?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Thankfully, your opinion is yours and not that of most other places that have junior/explorer programs.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Brother nmfire...

They are more than likely the exception rather than the rule.
    Oh I agree completely. Very much an exception. They're a unique operation for sure. But its a sure fire way to get someone's panties in a bunch any time it is brought up.

Why not treat like any other extra curricular activity?
    That's exactly my view on it. There should be a GPA requirement, and the teachers/principal MUST be okay with it.

I don't see it as any different than someone who is gone for 3 days of school a week at an FBLA conference, or football, or cheer leading. It wouldn't work everywhere obviously, but on a smaller department with few runs, I don't see a problem with it.

Ok, fine. Good luck to you and the children that are on your fire depts. I pray and hope that It works out for you. Best of wishes.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

- Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

When people are treated like children they will act like children. Around here some people grow up a lot faster. We have 14 year olds out plowing the fields, working the farm, and working the family business. I do agree, we also have the children that sit back and wait for everything to be handed to them on a silver platter. I see these clueless children out protesting education cuts. Time for them to grow up and realize nothing in life is free. YOU want the better education then YOU pay for it.

Our idiot commissioner that runs the prisons for young adults. We have a school here for these thugs that are as young as 12 years old. That moron calls them children as well. Trust me, they are not children.
    What the hell does this post have to do with jrs having pagers at school.? We are not talking about farming, running a family business, education cuts or prison. You sir have derailed and should not be allowed to speak for the next five minutes.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

- Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    Thankfully, your opinion is yours and not that of most other places that have junior/explorer programs.

Oh I agree completely. Very much an exception. They're a unique operation for sure. But its a sure fire way to get someone's panties in a bunch any time it is brought up.

It is and the fact we don't have Juniors, we have an explorer post, but they do not respond to calls for service, unless they are with and under control of their advisor.

We had Juniors when I was associated with a volunteer dept 40 odd years back, but they didn't have pagers then and relied on the pole siren to be notified. IF the teacher wanted them to leave the class they did, if not they remained in school. All they could do would help take up and or assist a operator getting kinks out of the hose, plus standby with the air bottles if needed.

The law in Virginia is pretty straight about children operating on a fire scene and that is the one we have to abide by.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Thread Information