Closed Thread
Page 5 of 8 First ... 2345678 Last

Thread: Pagers

Forum Member

Young Lady, I complement you on your well said post. After reading some various knuckleheads posts before, I have shaken my head and have said out loud "I weep for the future." After reading this, and some of your other posts, I am refreshed, and I anticipate better things for the future of the fire service. Allow me to add an addendum to my previous post for you- "Chase around some of the football players."

Now I have a question:

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer Asst Chief Fern View Post
    Being a senior explorer in my post, and reading this, I completely agree. We recently had one explorer who spent 33 days straight at the station. Full 16 hour shifts on weekends, and at least 6 hours after school on school days. I think the fire station is a great place to hang out, but high schoolers need to have a life outside of the station.
    Why didn't you, or someone else in authority, do something about this? Is your organization aware of your state's child labor laws, and that they most likely forbid this? Each hour spent at a fire house, even if just "hanging out" is legally defined as a "work hour" in most states; not to mention someone should have tossed the kid a football and told him to get out.

Are you doing anything to prevent this in the future?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    ...Why didn't you, or someone else in authority, do something about this? Is your organization aware of your state's child labor laws, and that they most likely forbid this? Each hour spent at a fire house, even if just "hanging out" is legally defined as a "work hour" in most states; not to mention someone should have tossed the kid a football and told him to get out.

Are you doing anything to prevent this in the future?
    To be completely honest, we try to get him to find friends and get something else to do, but he feels that he's benefiting himself by spending all of his time at the station. I'm not sure about the child labor laws, but I bet he is defying them. Usually he is lazy and doesn't even do anything at the station, so if we threw him a football he would probably laugh and drop it on the floor. I think he started to get the picture that very few people actually wanted him up there, so he wasn't around much this past week. Good for us, I guess. Other than that, I'm not sure what we are going to do about it. Although I don't like the kid that much, I still feel bad that he is wasting his teen years. I just don't know what to do about it.
    Last edited by Explorer Asst Chief Fern; 03-17-2010 at 02:58 PM. Reason: sorry, bad grammar. :)
    Explorer Assistant Chief Alisha Fern

Leadership: The ability to guide, direct, and influence others.

Leadership can be thought of as a capacity to define oneself to others in a way that clarifies and expands a vision of the future.

alisha.fern@firehousemail.com

Forum Member

Being a senior explorer in my post, and reading this, I completely agree. We recently had one explorer who spent 33 days straight at the station. Full 16 hour shifts on weekends, and at least 6 hours after school on school days. I think the fire station is a great place to hang out, but high schoolers need to have a life outside of the station.

When it comes down to my explorers, NO ONE does anything that could endanger themselves-ESPECIALLY if they don't have propper training. As the Asst. Chief, I would feel responsible if any of them got hurt. It's a dangerous job, and we make sure our explorers know that. Some of them join thinking it's "play time" or that they get to "play" with fire. WRONG! It's serious business- whether during trainings, on calls, or even hanging out at the station.

As a teenager, I know what it's like to text friends in "text-speak", but in NO WAY should that be used to talk to professionals like yourselves. It is truly a respect thing, and when I'm your age, I would like explorers and juniors to give me the same amount of respect I give you.

I completely and totally agree that school ALWAYS comes before firefighting. I am not even 36 certified yet, so why do I need to leave schools to go on calls? I am currently in a 2-year EMT-B course at a tech school, and I wouldn't miss class if the world depended on it. Why? Because one day someone's life will be in my hands, and if I don't know what to do because I skipped class that day.... I would be completely responsible. Other than EMS class, I only have two other classes this year (English and chemistry), and although I may not like those classes, I still need to take them and pass them. SCHOOL COMES FIRST.

For the first time ever my explorer post sent a former explorer to be sworn-on to the department. He was one of the best in his 240 class. Why? because he spent time as an explorer. He trained for over a year before starting 240. He knew his stuff. He was prepared. He was dedicated. And now he's got it. Explorer/Cadet/Junior posts are great, as long as they aren't abused. There are rules to everything in life, including explorer posts. They are truly the greatest resource to anyone who plans on becoming a firefighter or EMT. Respect your education, respect the rules, and most importantly, respect the people around you who give you the opportunity to do what you do.
    Wow, good job!!!! You want to join my department? I think you could benefit our Juniors and even some of our Firefighters. It would be a long commute, but we'll take you. We generally do not see a young person such as yourself so well spoken and with "your head screwed on tightly" (as my grandma said that I often didn't).

I sincerely hope that you are looking to be in the fire service for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by BSFD9302 View Post
    Wow, good job!!!! You want to join my department? I think you could benefit our Juniors and even some of our Firefighters. It would be a long commute, but we'll take you. We generally do not see a young person such as yourself so well spoken and with "your head screwed on tightly" (as my grandma said that I often didn't).

I sincerely hope that you are looking to be in the fire service for a long time.
    I would love to make the fire service a lifetime career. I would love to use my leadership skills to take me up to the rank of chief. Some people think it will never happen just because I'm a "girl", but I'm confident in my abilities and I'm willing to do whatever it takes to achieve my goals. And I don't think I'll ever be able to leave my department. We truly are a family. I have Chief's number on speed-dial, along with our Asst. Chief and one of our Lt's. I talk to Chief almost every day, and there is a big dry-erase board in our classroom at the station that says (as a joke) ALISHA LOVES CHIEF in big letters. haha. Everyone hangs out together outside of the station, and training nights are more like "family bonding" nights. I could never ever leave.

Leadership can be thought of as a capacity to define oneself to others in a way that clarifies and expands a vision of the future.

Forum Member

I would love to make the fire service a lifetime career. I would love to use my leadership skills to take me up to the rank of chief. Some people think it will never happen just because I'm a "girl", but I'm confident in my abilities and I'm willing to do whatever it takes to achieve my goals. And I don't think I'll ever be able to leave my department. We truly are a family. I have Chief's number on speed-dial, along with our Asst. Chief and one of our Lt's. I talk to Chief almost every day, and there is a big dry-erase board in our classroom at the station that says (as a joke) ALISHA LOVES CHIEF in big letters. haha. Everyone hangs out together outside of the station, and training nights are more like "family bonding" nights. I could never ever leave.
    Don't give up on your goals. I have a daughter and I would hammer anyone that said she couldn't do something because she is female. Look at this............

http://firechief.com/newsitems/firef...isco_installs/

A very large department with a female fire chief.

As for sticking with your department.......

The best way to do that is make them proud that you are or were a member. You need to move forward with your life and goals. Do not stand still and don't let anything or anyone hold you back.

Forum Member

Never mind that FWDbuff, please excuse me for saying that.
    Last edited by spunk2; 03-17-2010 at 03:23 PM.

Forum Member

There are many women whom I have had the pleasure of meeting that hold positions of rank within fire departments.....one happens to be 'Rocky' Jones - aka Battalion Chief, FDNY!

Keep up with your goals, and you can go far...sent a pm to you also Fern!

Forum Member

Why can't I post anything, does anybody know why?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by spunk2 View Post
    Why can't I post anything, does anybody know why?
    When you first join I believe everything is reviewed before you post is up.

Forum Member

What do you mean by that?

Forum Member

When you first join I believe everything is reviewed before you post is up.

Your first I believe its ten to twenty posts are moderated to make sure that your following the rules of the forums.

Forum Member

Good luck Fern, and second FDW and BSFD. If you ever find yourself in Southeast PA, stop in for an ap. I got some guys you can straighten out....
    Matt G.
    Battalion Chief
    IACOJ-Member
    FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Don't give up on your goals. I have a daughter and I would hammer anyone that said she couldn't do something because she is female. Look at this............

http://firechief.com/newsitems/firef...isco_installs/

A very large department with a female fire chief.

As for sticking with your department.......

The best way to do that is make them proud that you are or were a member. You need to move forward with your life and goals. Do not stand still and don't let anything or anyone hold you back.
    Madison, WI also has a female fire chief.

Fern, stick with it. You have the goals, the ambition, and the drive to make it wherever you want.

Well thank you, and I appreciate everyone's support!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Junior firefighters in school need pagers as much as a school of fish needs bicycles....
    Quite possibly the best post I've ever read. Quick, to the point, witty and harsh. I love it.

Pete

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mtg55 View Post
    Good luck Fern, and second FDW and BSFD. If you ever find yourself in Southeast PA, stop in for an ap. I got some guys you can straighten out....
    Born/Raised/was a junior in Southeastern Pa. in Montgomery County near the City Line.

Forum Member

How do you delete a post?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by spunk2 View Post
    How do you delete a post?
    You can't. So don't say anything stupid.
    When I am called to duty, God
    Whenever flames may rage,
    Give me the strength to save some life
    Whatever be its age.

Never forget the heroes of 9/11

Forum Member

Born/Raised/was a junior in Southeastern Pa. in Montgomery County near the City Line.
    Haha, I figured you had to be close....on the other side of your eastern border...
    Matt G.
    Battalion Chief
    IACOJ-Member
    FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mtg55 View Post
    Haha, I figured you had to be close....on the other side of your eastern border...
    We run boxes into Bucks County, and also have occasional border jobs with red trucks that say "PFD" on the sides.

Forum Member

Uh oh, I think I already did.

Forum Member

We run boxes into Bucks County, and also have occasional border jobs with red trucks that say "PFD" on the sides.
    Used to run the countyline corridor w/WFD. Now the closest I get is Oh' Bryans over on Philmont lol. That may be in your 1st due!
    Matt G.
    Battalion Chief
    IACOJ-Member
    FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Thumbs up

my fire department allows our junior firegfighters to leave school for fire and ems calls and the school has absoulutaly no problem with it at all...just as long as we we keep our grades up...and none of us have any problem with keeping our grades up...sooo as i look at all the opinions throughout all the replies most people disagree with the idea of letting juniors carrying their pagers during school and leaving...but i just thought i would throw in my opinion...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by svfd21emt View Post
    my fire department allows our junior firegfighters to leave school for fire and ems calls and the school has absoulutaly no problem with it at all...just as long as we we keep our grades up...and none of us have any problem with keeping our grades up...sooo as i look at all the opinions throughout all the replies most people disagree with the idea of letting juniors carrying their pagers during school and leaving...but i just thought i would throw in my opinion...
    Yes, your department may let you. But does the state you live in let you?
    Matt G.
    Battalion Chief
    IACOJ-Member
    FTM-PTB

Forum Member

oh wow, i thought this thread was long dead lol
    Firefighters need not fear fire, but give it all their respect.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 8 First ... 2345678 Last

Thread Information