Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... Last

Thread: Pagers

Forum Member

Default Pagers

How do you feel about junior firefighters taking their pagers to school?

Forum Member

I'm fine with it. I allow my Juniors to...and I don't really care what a bunch of people on an internet forum have to say about it.

More importantly...here we go again. Three threads started within a few hours that will last for days and hundreds of posts.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by spunk2 View Post
    Fine if they take them with, but they are not cutting class to go to a call...So other than being annoying in school, they are ......pointless.
    Courage, Being Scared to Death and Saddling Up anyways.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by spunk2 View Post
    I'll play along. It's been a few hours since we talked about this last.

I don't think they should. School should come first.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

I'm alright with it. I carried mine, and got to leave for calls. Granted, I didn't spend much time as an explorer. Our explorer program started at 16, got started when I was about 6 months from being 18, and school started about 3 months after it got set up. So I spent most of my time in high school as a full active member of the department, because I was 18. Which leads me to an addendum to ATF's question.

(Not to steal your thread ATF, I just don't feel the need to start another thread as they kind of go together in my eyes.)
    How do you feel about 18 year old high schoolers that are full active members carrying pagers in school and leaving to go to calls?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Chenzo View Post
    How do you feel about 18 year old high schoolers that are full active members carrying pagers in school and leaving to go to calls?
    Assuming that we aren't talking about a department that's out three times a day, and that said firefighter's grades are acceptable (well above average would be acceptable in my book), no problem.

His/her first duty is to complete their education.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Pagers

I am fine with 18 yr old firefighters carrying a pager to school i did when i was that age. I also left school to go to larger fires in the day. When i was in college i carried my pager as well and often had to leave classes to attend a fire or medicial calls. As far as anyone under the age of 18 and a active full time member of the dept i think school should come first.

Forum Member

It depends on if that school is public, private, or home based

Seriously, though, to each jurisdiction their own I guess. I personally don't see the need for it. If the fire is so big that a junior skipping class to help outside at the command post or the engineer is necessary, than the dept should be calling mutual aid. I'd rather see the juniors focusing on schoolwork during school hours and then afterwards hang out as much as you want at the station.

Forum Member

Junior firefighters in school need pagers as much as a school of fish needs bicycles....
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

if students are leaving school to go to a call, the whole town should be burning down.

MembersZone Subscriber

I say absolutely not.

No reason for them to carry a pager in school other than being curious as to what is going on or showing off to their friends.

When they are in school, they should concentrate on school. The pager only creates a distraction for the explorer/junior (whatever you call em) and creates a disturbance in the classroom when they go off.

We don't issue pagers to explorers, this is one of the main reasons why not.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

This is a touchy issue.

When I was in school, we didn't have pagers. We had the town bell. I joined with some of the other guys when we were about 16. When the Bell was rung, we all left school and went to the livery stable. (I'm not kidding about that). It was every able bodied man and teenage kids responsibility to report and fight the fire. Of course, back in those days, we all grew up on tractors and balers and could buck hay for 16 hours a day. Insurance Companies didn't prevent the boys from doing their duty.

But today... even with my background, I tell the youngs ones,"Education before Duty." In our Explorer Program, we do not issue any pagers or radio equipment. They cannot participate if their grade average is below 2.5. So we take some of the fun out of it I guess. I just don't want some kid using the fire department as the reason he failed a math test.

I understand the need in some communities to depend on the young ones. So I will not condemn it or question why. You just have to do what you have to do.
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinKnight View Post
    I understand the need in some communities to depend on the young ones. So I will not condemn it or question why. You just have to do what you have to do.
    I gotta agree with this. If the junior/explorer is on a department with few members, who get few calls, not just during school hours, but period, then it is quite possible that they are vital for support operations so that people who can actually be in the hot zone can GO in the hot zone and do what needs to get done.

If the junior/explorer is on a department that runs 15 calls between 8am and 3pm (or whenever school hours are) and have no problems with getting members to show up, then there shouldn't be any reason for a junior/explorer to respond during school hours.

It's all situational in my opinion.

MembersZone Subscriber

Why not? I think that its a great, idea. While we're at it, why not just carry a radio and park an engine outside of the building, so that you don't have to drive your own pov to the scene. The hell with school, being an Jr. is a lot more important. So you flunk out of school, no big deal. Responding to fires, where you can do much of anything is a whole lot more important than your education.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

Bull... you feeling alright there brother?

I had a tough day but you woke me up with that one.
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

MembersZone Subscriber

They can carry them to school, they are put in their locker during school, and they can get them out at the end of the day.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post
    Why not? I think that its a great, idea. While we're at it, why not just carry a radio and park an engine outside of the building, so that you don't have to drive your own pov to the scene. The hell with school, being an Jr. is a lot more important. So you flunk out of school, no big deal. Responding to fires, where you can do much of anything is a whole lot more important than your education.
    I understand your logic completely, don't get me wrong. I guess I just have a differing view/don't entirely agree with it, being from a small, small department.

If you have a hard time getting members to show up during the day, and you run HARDLY any calls, (Let's use my department for example. We run anywhere from 30 to 70 runs a year roughly, and sometimes we'll go a month without a call.) Why not let the explorer go, so that he can do support work outside the hotzone? That frees up a full member to do something in the hotzone.

I should have added this into my last posting, but I also think there has to be a certain GPA upheld in order for a person to even be considered for an explorer position. It's entirely possible for them to be a responding member, and keep their grades up. Hell, I did. Along with that, I was working 4 days a week after school, and I'd already started getting certifications, as well as leaving time to be 17/18 years old, and keeping my grades fairly decent. It seemed I was out of school every other day anyway due to some function or club or something at home.

And why is this any different than a school club or clubs that a student is involved in? I went to school with kids that were lucky to make 2 days of school a week because they were going somewhere for some club almost every day of the week. I guess I just don't understand how occasionally leaving for a fire call, and sometimes being gone for a half hour, sometimes being gone all day, is any different or worse than kids in FFA, FBLA, Home Ec. Club, Skills USA VICA, Band, sports teams, debate teams, academic decathlon teams, etc being gone multiple days out of the school week.

Maybe that's not how it was for you/is for the kids in school now. But it was for me. There would be stretches, and I'm talking WEEKS, that I wouldn't see someone at school, because they were gone with a club, had to work to help out the family, or just didn't feel like coming in. (And I see not coming in because they didn't feel like it far worse than leaving for a call)

Like I said, I adamantly believe its a situational thing. What works for you may or may not work for me. What works for me may or may not work for you.

Forum Member

I understand your logic completely, don't get me wrong. I guess I just have a differing view/don't entirely agree with it, being from a small, small department.

If you have a hard time getting members to show up during the day, and you run HARDLY any calls, (Let's use my department for example. We run anywhere from 30 to 70 runs a year roughly, and sometimes we'll go a month without a call.) Why not let the explorer go, so that he can do support work outside the hotzone? That frees up a full member to do something in the hotzone.

I should have added this into my last posting, but I also think there has to be a certain GPA upheld in order for a person to even be considered for an explorer position. It's entirely possible for them to be a responding member, and keep their grades up. Hell, I did. Along with that, I was working 4 days a week after school, and I'd already started getting certifications, as well as leaving time to be 17/18 years old, and keeping my grades fairly decent. It seemed I was out of school every other day anyway due to some function or club or something at home.

And why is this any different than a school club or clubs that a student is involved in? I went to school with kids that were lucky to make 2 days of school a week because they were going somewhere for some club almost every day of the week. I guess I just don't understand how occasionally leaving for a fire call, and sometimes being gone for a half hour, sometimes being gone all day, is any different or worse than kids in FFA, FBLA, Home Ec. Club, Skills USA VICA, Band, sports teams, debate teams, academic decathlon teams, etc being gone multiple days out of the school week.

Maybe that's not how it was for you/is for the kids in school now. But it was for me. There would be stretches, and I'm talking WEEKS, that I wouldn't see someone at school, because they were gone with a club, had to work to help out the family, or just didn't feel like coming in. (And I see not coming in because they didn't feel like it far worse than leaving for a call)

Like I said, I adamantly believe its a situational thing. What works for you may or may not work for me. What works for me may or may not work for you.
    This post is spot on. In my previous life I not only was in charge of an exploring post but I also ran a fire science program at our local high school and was a full time staff member of that school as well.

Our Explorers where issued a pager and could leave school. However this took many hours of meetings with teachers, administrators, parents, and the Explorers themselves. We had some teachers who loved the idea and supported is and we had ones that hated it and the kids could never leave class. What was required was an open dialogue between everyone involved.

The bottom line was that my Explorers did not miss any more class than students involved in other activities. They were held to a strict GPA (which was higher than the standard set by the school district for extra- and co-curricular activities) and could not fall under our standard.

Over the last 19 years the program has been in existence we have had many students leave us and pursue a career in the Fire Service. I would like to think that our program contributed positively to their lives.

Forum Member

Exactly how it works here. You have to be on Honor Roll (4.0 GPA with no grade lower than a B-) to even carry your pager. You have to be on High Honor Roll (4.5 GPA with no grade lower than a B) to be allowed to respond from school. Because of these high requirements, my Juniors are very, very mindful of what calls they respond to and when they leave. Not only does this make them more mindful of calls they respond to from school, but also when not in school...in regards to time of day, etc.

MembersZone Subscriber

If the explorer/jr. is under the age of 18, there is not much that they can do at the scene of any call. First they are under age and second, they don't have the certs to operate, and thirdly they can not respond on/in any vehicle that is running emergence traffic. That being said, there is no reason on God's green earth that they should leave school and miss class for a call. If you want to issue them radio's, pagers, full turnout gear fine, for training that's fine. Training's great, I love to train. But they can not operate in the hot or warm zone, period, so other than to hand out water, roll hose and other small jobs, there is not much they can do, so why would they need to miss class. I think its great to require that they maintain a B average to stay active on a post. I think its great to allow the young people to have something positive in their lives to help maintain their focus. I think it's important to teach them some job skills that they can use to get a job after they get out of high school. That being said, they are in school and that is their job, not leaving class to hand out water. If your dept is having man power issues then request for Mutual Aid., pay for part time help, hire some guys or put some more people on your dept. but please don't pull little Billy out of class to fight fire. Field trips are one thing, being on the fire dept. is not a field trip.
    As far as other kids missing school for other activities, that's them. We are not in the show choir, or the band. We are fire fighters and thus so we hold ourselves to a higher standard because of such. By the way, throughout my 4 years in high school playing sports year round, we never were allowed to miss class.
    Last edited by BULL321; 03-04-2010 at 11:10 PM.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post
    thirdly they can not respond on/in any vehicle that is running emergence traffic.
    Bull, even though we agree. In some states, they can respond on an emergency vehicle.

Now I'll run away as I'm sure that's gonna get some folks hot.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

we don't use pagers. Our dispatcher is on twitter so he just tweets out runs. Our explorers subscribe to his twitter, so whenever we get a job they get notified on their Iphone and leave class. I agree though, no pagers in school. Who would dare be seen with such antiquated electronics! Only the latest and greatest allowed here.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Bull, even though we agree. In some states, they can respond on an emergency vehicle.

Now I'll run away as I'm sure that's gonna get some folks hot.
    Ok, I was mistaken. In NC they are not allowed to respond on a truck, running 10-18 traffic. Sorry Chief.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

- Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    we don't use pagers. Our dispatcher is on twitter so he just tweets out runs. Our explorers subscribe to his twitter, so whenever we get a job they get notified on their Iphone and leave class. I agree though, no pagers in school. Who would dare be seen with such antiquated electronics! Only the latest and greatest allowed here.
    Also if they're phones are on vibrate, it does not disturb the whole class.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

- Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

Doesn't really matter...they probably can't get a signal anyways.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... Last

Thread Information