Thread: 2010 is Set

Forum Member

Exclamation 2010 is Set

Like it or not, believe it or not, but DHS has set March 29th through April 30th as the 2010 AFG Application period. Denials will probably come hard and fast and leave most with little time to turn around.

There's only $390 million available on this one so it's definitely bring the A game time, 25% less on the award count at least. Kurt's schedule is posted, 5 left before the app period is over, and possibly some room for more but I'll let him post on that before I send him all over creation. www.hdgrants.com is their site.

Ours is open for requests and we've got 5 more than capable instructors to put on location if need be. www.vickersconsultingservices.com

None of the usual suspects that teach classes seem to have a schedule up otherwise I'd have put them in here. So if anyone else sees something other than a DHS workshop opportunity post it here in this thread so folks can find some help if they want it.

Get cracking kids, finals aren't far off....
    Brian P. Vickers
    CEO - Vickers Consulting Services, Inc
    FH.com/Firehouse Mag Contributor
    www.helpmewithgrants.com
    www.facebook.com/vcsinc

MembersZone Subscriber

With a 31% cut in the appropriation....everyone has to bring their A++ game to have a chance at securing funding for 2010.

Forum Member

When do you anticipate the release of the program guidance documents

Forum Member

hard to believe they would start the 2010 process with the 2009 delays, but, when does the government do anything that makes sense.....

....any idea when the guidance will appear? has anyone heard of any significant changes for 2010?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by rescfrmn View Post
    When do you anticipate the release of the program guidance documents
    Historically, the PG comes out 1 week prior to the opening of the grant period.

Should be no significant changes to the 2010 PG.

Forum Member

Ok, I am being calm. But does this say that indeed there is very little time to receive our 2009 grant? With 2010 opening on March 29th, all will be done for 2009, correct?? I am really asking nicely, because this is what I have feared all along.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Jman136 View Post
    Ok, I am being calm. But does this say that indeed there is very little time to receive our 2009 grant? With 2010 opening on March 29th, all will be done for 2009, correct?? I am really asking nicely, because this is what I have feared all along.
    No it doesn't; the funding doesn't disappear for '09 with the start of '10. The goal is to have everyone notified by the start of the application period their grant status. This could mean a department will have been awarded or will be awarded, recieved a DJ, recieved a reference to the 1199A or recieved the q's.

With $320 million still available the awards will be ongoing through the application period.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman136 View Post
    My word of advice is this Jman: Go over your narrative that you have the reduction on and see if there is any place that needs to be tweeked in case you receive a dj letter when they are dropped. I would also work on a new narrative for the upcoming year for your next priority project in case you are awarded. Have them both ready to go, and ask some of the willing individuals here in the forums to read over it and critique it for you.

Forum Member

The reason to work another project's narrative is that the efforts aren't wasted since anything done there can be used in another grant application if the 2009 one goes in again. Getting the answers for other grant application questions is easy (but takes time) since we already know the questions for every grant application out there. That's why starting yesterday is always the best time to begin things.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    The reason to work another project's narrative is that the efforts aren't wasted since anything done there can be used in another grant application if the 2009 one goes in again. Getting the answers for other grant application questions is easy (but takes time) since we already know the questions for every grant application out there. That's why starting yesterday is always the best time to begin things.
    BC is correct. I have not heard a thing on one of my grants. I'm going a head and writing a new one for 2010 in the event mine doesn't hit before the end of the application period. In the mean time I'm going back over the 2009 grant to see what I can do better. By the time the 2010 opens I'll have two grants ready.

Believe me I feel your pain. I've seen a couple of grants that got hit for the same thing I wrote mine for, so I try to figure out what there was about their's that was maybe just a little better than mine. It doesn't take much. Maybe 2 0r 3 years difference in the age of what I was replacing, and heck maybe their grant was just better than mine.

It's like everyone is saying. It's an A game only anymore and it's gonna get harder. If you think your pacing the floor now what until the 2010 starts to get awarded.

Your best chance if your department will allow it is to get into one of Kurt's or Brian's seminars. You would not believe the difference it can make. Departments complain about the cost but when you compare them to the return, it's well worth every penny spent.

Anyway, I'm right there with you with everything crossed I can cross, but I've already started to prepare for 2010.

Good Luck.

Forum Member

BC79er, do we know if this avalanche of DJ's will be computer only or include some peer reviewed?

If you get a DJ this first round and we can determine that your app has gotten shot down on computer, you need to focus on project design, cost-benefit, and so forth. Your narrative might be perfect, but if you bust the cost-benefit thresholds, nobody has read it.

If you get shot down after peer review, you probably hashed out pretty well on the numbers but didn't quite make the verbal case in the narrative.

Either way your narrative may need help, but computer DJ's need design changes.
    “I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Forum Member

Default freakin

OK, I'm totally freaking out now!. Beginning of 2010 is end of one AFG and start of another. SAFER is not sneaking in. Lets hope the 2010 1199s do not take 27 weeks to appear.
    Last edited by jam24u; 03-04-2010 at 10:25 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jam24u View Post
    OK, I'm totally freaking out now!. Beginning of 2010 is end of one AFG and start of another. SAFER is not sneaking in. Lets hope the 2010 1199s do not take 27 weeks to appear.
    Hey Jim; I guess I am going to take on the regional communications grant for our county. Man I had hoped that the opening of 2010 would begin in May or so. Doesn’t give me very much time. We meet last Tuesday with all the Law & Fire big wigs in the county and looks like the only grant out there is the AFG.” No I am not one of them” I may ask you a question or two if you don’t mind as I go along with this under taking. I know you will be busy with your own so I will try not bug you too much but you are the only one I know that has done this. You have been a big help all ready and thanks. Going to the AL APCO meeting in Montgomery on the 29 where the AL-DHS will go over the states comm. plan and that is a 700 meg. trunking system state wide. If it is like the last one they did 800 meg. They started in Mobile County and run out of money by the time they got to Montgomery. My problem if they are the ones that sign off on all the comm. grants that come though the state then they will want us to go to 700 meg. If that happens we would have to buy all new radios to work with that band. We were hoping to use the radios that will go NB changed out last. You wouldn’t happen to have a second regional app. that I can look at do you? “Oh Lord what am I getting into? Thanks dfd701

Forum Member

I just finished a regional communications grant in Alabama and am currently in the process of closing out. Further, I have a few of them this time that have gone through or are in the final stages.

If I can be of any assistance please let me know!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by cubachief502 View Post
    I just finished a regional communications grant in Alabama and am currently in the process of closing out. Further, I have a few of them this time that have gone through or are in the final stages.

If I can be of any assistance please let me know!
    Oh yea chief!!! Did you have to go on the 700 meg. that is going up in our state? AL-DHS told me that they are about two weeks away from sending out the RFP on the state wide 700meg. trunking system. I asked for and awarded a VHF P-25 repeater and handhelds. Your city was mentioned in a meeting with a communications vender that you have dealings with. I want to ask about him but not here. Get a chance e-mail me at dfd701@bellsouth.net Thanks a lot.

MembersZone Subscriber

HHHHMMMHH just like my wife , just when you think you have her figured out she comes out and throws you for a loop. I was thinking mid-April opening date but guess I was off by a couple weeks.

Still time to get into my 2010 AFG Super Summit in Tampa next Wed,Thu and Fri. You will actually write your 2010 app during the class and have it reviewed by two seperate mock peer panels with written comments returned to you.

I am going out into S Pacific for 10 days in middle of March. My partner Margaret will have one in Lousiville on March 18-19 which is exactly the same course content that I teach, so don't discount attending that either to get what you need ( hint-she taught me how to do grants). I also have 1 workshop left in Fox Lake WI at their FD scheduled for April 9-10 which would still allow time to react and or be a good final check of whatever project you are putting together. Looks like Brian has an army of instructors ready and willing also. Contact me for details or see schedule here:

http://www.hdgrants.com/courses/2009...s-Training.htm
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Thread Information