Forum Member

Default Exhaust Removal. AFG or FP&S grant?

I need 2010 afg ideas...I was thinking about exhaust removal. Is this an AFG item or FP&S item? Can anyone tell me the priority of how these have been previously awarded? I need some ideas as our gear isnt old enough and our packs are 1997 revision purchased in 2001.

Thanks!!

Still waiting on our Vehicle 2009 grant, under the limit and waiting patiently!!

Forum Member

AFG item
    good luck on your current app

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonMNChief View Post
    I need 2010 afg ideas...I was thinking about exhaust removal. Is this an AFG item or FP&S item? Can anyone tell me the priority of how these have been previously awarded? I need some ideas as our gear isnt old enough and our packs are 1997 revision purchased in 2001.

Thanks!!

Still waiting on our Vehicle 2009 grant, under the limit and waiting patiently!!
    Stations that are occupied 24/7/365 will recieve the highest consideration vs. other stations that are occupied less frequently. Pages 10-11 of the PG explains the various scenarios.

As for priority under Station Modifications a vehicle exhaust system is ranked third in priorities and vehicle mounted exhaust system is ranked fourth.

MembersZone Subscriber

You might also try USDA Rural Devel. Grant % is based on 2000 census income (or do a special income survey). As I recall grants are 10%, 35%, or 75%. USDA doesn't seem to much care what the $ are spent for.

Forum Member

We were notified yesterday of our Exhaust removal system award for 2 stations under AFG Drop me an email address and I will send you a copy of ours. I read several others in putting mine together , it is very helpful to pick the brains of many.

Forum Member

Remember back when grants were supposed to be for those in need?

Not wish list items....

I need 2010 afg ideas...I was thinking about exhaust removal.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Hey Bones- Our budget has been cut by 30% this year. We only have enough funds to pay for utilities Four of my seven trucks are old military surplus. Our two tankers are 30 plus year old military refuelers. We have cook pancakes, have a tractor pull, sell calendars, etc. When I am asking for ideas, that is just what I need. We cant afford to go to grant writing seminars, so the help that I get hear is greatly appreciated. I would like you to tell me that we dont have a need.

Forum Member

I agree Houston. I know a lot of departments out there either can't afford to send people or they are to far to travel to (which ties in with costs).

And asking for ideas is just fine to me. I know as a chief I need a lot of small things. But I can't write a grant for a water thief and 4 sections of hose that would make my water supply project complete. I'd be asking for $3,000. And to me if you are asking for less than $10,000 you are cheating your department.

These grants aren't going to be around forever and people need ideas of what are good, high priority, complete projects, that have been successful. And what goes together as a project isn't always easy either. Getting these ideas from someone else doesn't mean the department isn't in need of it, maybe just not aware that it can be funded.

Lucky though for me. I first got awarded PPE, communication stuff, and SCBA. Second got RIT and Quick Attack unit. Third got HRT. Now we got so many new members I need to do PPE again cause I have 22 people sharing gear or no gear at all. I know it sounds weird, 22, but we really had a good year of recruitment and with 3 years of new regime change the community has been pulled together better and want to be part of the department instead of bashing it.

Forum Member

I think the point Bones was trying to make is that you, as a Chief or a department, should have a good idea of your needs.

I doubt there is any fire department in the US totally content with their apparatus and equipment, but most have a pretty good idea what their needs are.

I knew what my needs were each year, and applied for them. Simple as that.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonMNChief View Post

Thanks!!

I think I understand where your coming from. Being from a small department with many needs (not wants) you want to try to get the items that my not be in your budget for years, if then. I believe he's trying to apply something that may funded verses a lower priority that won't make.

I have several departments that I work with that many needs and they toy with what to apply for. They just want to increase the odds in the favor by going with projects that rank high and attempt to fund the lower priority items by doing numerous fund raisers.

Just my 2 cents.

Forum Member

All I really wanted to know was if I should apply for the exhaust under the AFG or FP&S. I wasnt sure, couldnt get a clear understanding of the PG.

Forum Member

I'm saying AFG. I won the exhaust system through AFG a couple of years ago (and the station is so much nicer thanks to it!)

My understanding the Fire Prevention and Safety 'side' of the house is for the general public (like smoke detectors, safety campaigns, etc.) I'm thinking of a keybox system for businesses and the disabled & elderly in my district (as an example)

Forum Member

It is 100% an AFG project.

Forum Member

Has anybody received a 2009 AFG award for an exhaust ventilation system for a volunteer station that is NOT "full-time" and/or doesn't have sleeping quarters?

MembersZone Subscriber

You want to speak with MASTER SLY, he helped a company close to me and they are doing he happy dance, 1st round and already installed.

Forum Member

Thanks for the info Sly.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SLY4420 View Post
    I think the point Bones was trying to make is that you, as a Chief or a department, should have a good idea of your needs.

I doubt there is any fire department in the US totally content with their apparatus and equipment, but most have a pretty good idea what their needs are.

I knew what my needs were each year, and applied for them. Simple as that.
    Bingo. (lengthend to make fh.com happy)
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Thread Information