Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 31 123411 ... LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Does the EMS have a gruge against FFs?

Was just wondering, if the EMS have a gruge against FFs. I was browsing a forum and they seemed very bitter. "People who just want to be called heros, or just to say you are a firefighter."

idk, my whole impression was a lot of them are holding a grudge or something.

What are you guys impressions?
    Last edited by Clandest; 03-04-2010 at 06:02 PM.

Forum Member

That grudge seems to go both ways. At least that is what i see.

Forum Member

We have a rather good relationship with our EMS...

Some of our personnel aggravate them and vice versa or what we do on scene irritates the other dept...but, like I said, we usually enjoy working with each other. They don't wanna do our job and we don't wanna do theirs...it's a mutual respect of insanity :-D

But the one thing we CAN agree on is that the police are annoying to EVERYONE

Forum Member

That seems to be the way it is on my department. Our EMS is a different department run under a different chief with separate funding, yet the two cannot seem to get along for any reason. And just when things start to look up someone or a group on either of the departments stirs up something that sets it off again. Im not sure what stemmed the problems but for as long as i can remember the two have not gotten alone. Its hard for me sometimes being on both departments to deal with what the others have to say about each other. Although the fire department members seem to have a more critical view of the Rescue than vice versa.

If I had scored 10 points lower on my civil service exam, I could have been a paramedic.

JUST KIDDING!!!!

Animosities seem to be jurisdictional. Where I work, we get along great with all responders whether it be police (State, Local or County) EMS or what have you. Granted, there are certain individual personality conflicts (The difference between God and a Paramedic is that God doesn't think he is a Paramedic) <----- That kind of thing......
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

I am a Deputy Chief and an EMT and work per diem for a private ambulance service. Am I supposed to hold a grudge against myself?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

think it depends on the way the system is set up. From what I've seen where the EMS agency is a lower paid separate agency a lot of the grudge comes from the difference in pay and EMS seeing Fire as over paid and under worked. Some of the EMTs also get the holier than thou attitude, and think that anyone from the FD only knows how to use a NRB. Some of it can also be jealousy, you'll get the guys that do ems until they can become fire but end up getting stuck their for 20 years and hate every firemen. From the fire side, a lot of the firefighters don't know the run volume of the EMS agency, so when they aren't as gung ho as fire they think they are lazy duckers. Some of it is a holier than thou attitude that they are lowly EMTs and we are the FIREMAN!!! From there it only takes a few bad encounters to become resentful of the other side.

Not saying everyone is like this, but for the *********s that cause the problems you can link their hate back to one of these factors.

MembersZone Subscriber

For one, EMS generally has less pay, inferior benefits, lack of career advancement, lousier retirement, and run a ridiculously high call volume in less than desireable conditions. They don't know much about all the training, station/apparatus maintenance we do during the day, and think we just sit on the couch all day, work out, watch movies, and sleep.

The worst of it for them is that more and more EMS agencies are being replaced by fire based systems, which puts them out of work, unless you call 9-10 bucks an hour at a fly by night private EMS company "work". That's probably where much of the animosity comes from.

Forum Member

heres a quote and EMS told me

"Do you just want to go around telling everyone you're a firefighter, one of the real heros, just so you can get some herpes infested tail?"

Quote Originally Posted by Clandest View Post
    heres a quote and EMS told me

"Do you just want to go around telling everyone you're a firefighter, one of the real heros, just so you can get some herpes infested tail?"
    Some suggested come-backs:

"Well I could have been a Paramedic but I scored too high on the Civil Service Exam."

"No I think too highly of myself to be a Medic."

"I could have been a Medic but I was present the day God handed out brains and common sense...."

"Any ******* can be a Medic"

"Paramedic- So easy, a caveman can do it!"
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 03-04-2010 at 07:59 PM.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

"and EMS told me"?!?! say what?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    I am a Deputy Chief and an EMT and work per diem for a private ambulance service. Am I supposed to hold a grudge against myself?
    Yes, of course...

Remember, can't spell problems without ems.

ya, I have a grudge against myself too.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Clandest View Post

Just answer in the affirmative and know you have the better job.

While I might agree that EMS can be an under appreciated field of endeavors, a large amount is due to the lack of a career ladder, leading to burnout. Look at the number of EMS only retirees vs. fire or police, EMS is not a long term solution to one's financial situation. Once the excitement of pushing drugs and trauma calls wear off it's a downward spiral. Of course there are exceptions to the rule, but they just prove the rule.

EMS = Every Minute Sucks
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

What is a "gruge"?
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

I think he just trying to start a fight for no reason.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL
    http://sylvafiredeptnc.tripod.com

Yeah not much change either, your options are the front of the bus or the back of the bus.

MembersZone Subscriber

40 odd years ago, my old dept merged FF and EMS. There was quite a bit of resistance for the first 5 to 7 years but now it operates pretty seamlessly. All recruits to FD must have EMT as entry requirement. Pay grade of Paras and FF are identical, if a FF has Paramedic quals, its about $3/hr more. Same with paras cross trained to FF. City encourages dual trained personnel and any can bid on either side. Most ambulances run out of fire stations so the crews are pretty well integrated. Lots of ragging and joking but any animosity seems to be on a personal rather than career level. Not much turnover on either side.
    Police, Fire and Medics are basically equal in pay, retirement benefits etc.

Not here. All FF's have the same training and credentials to work on either the ladder, engine, or meat wagon. They also go from one apparatus to the other, as needed.

Those on the puke bucket are there by their own choice by bidding on it. So there is no animosity between the ranks and file.

Pay is different on the blood mobile. $200 higher for those on it, over their base FF pay, due to their responsibility of Life.

FM1
    Last edited by FIREMECH1; 03-05-2010 at 03:21 AM.
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Thread Information