Forum Member

Default walmart donation letter

Has anybody had success writing walmart? I was thinking of writing them for a donation of 600 dollars for a family pack of cpr dummys for our community cpr days. We hold 4 a year and no longer can borrow the dummys so we need to buy them.

MembersZone Subscriber

We just got $1000 bucks from them. We also get some money every quarter because one of our volunteers works for them.

They also bought the turkeys for our Christmas party.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown8988 View Post
    Has anybody had success writing walmart? I was thinking of writing them for a donation of 600 dollars for a family pack of cpr dummys for our community cpr days. We hold 4 a year and no longer can borrow the dummys so we need to buy them.
    As the other writer stated, up to $1000 per year and even more if you have an employee or spouse of one of your employees who works there. Call the store and ask who their community invovlemnt coordiantor is. If they do not have one, ask for the manager's name , write out your need, what you want to do about it and then pu ton your uniform and "hand deliver" it to the community involvment coordinator or the manager of the store. Don't give it to anyone BUT those two; otherwise it gets lost in the shuffle.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Make sure the letter is on Department letterhead......Lowes' told me that when I inquired about donations....

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by pasobuff View Post
    Make sure the letter is on Department letterhead......Lowes' told me that when I inquired about donations....
    Great point I forgot to mention that!
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

I have written and been awarded two Wal-Mart grants. One for $1000 for fire prevention and one this past year for $2000 for a laptop and projector for our training center. The applications were a very brief 2-3 sentences along with the non-profit data and other information about the requesting entity. Unless the applications are different from store to store there is nowhere to request an amount. I was told that it was up to the corporate office to determine the amount of funding based on what is being requested but generally they do not go over $1000 per grant.

Forum Member

Talking

You must also be a 501c3 corporation in order for any of the big box chains to consider giving you grant money. Make sure you include that information on your request letter.

Forum Member

I was able to get $1,500 to buy 2 40 inch lcd tv's, 2 dvd players with hdmi cables(Gotta keep the boys happy). They work with us alot.

Forum Member

My expereince with Wal-Mart was somewhat different. Meetings, then presentations. I've done many in the past. With our rural Walmart in the next county was informed they were intending to concentrate on funding the groups within their city/county primarily. Their community coordinator said it directly to me. I was ****ed. Especially when passing by their bulletin board of support with the amounts awarded. Noticed that YES, they indeed were doing just that.

Gonna keep after them though. They'll give or face some outside pressures soon.

Forum Member

Question

Does the department or association have to be a registered 501c3 organization to receive the donation?

Forum Member

The following organizations are eligible to seek funding from the Walmart Store and Sam’s Club Giving Programs:

* Organizations with current tax-exempt status under Section 501(c)(3), (4), (6), or (19) of the Internal Revenue Code and must be listed in the most current IRS 50 State Master File at the time of application.
    * Recognized government entities: State, County and City agencies, including law enforcement and fire departments.
    * Volunteer Fire Departments with current tax-exempt status under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code; or that operate as an entity of a recognized government agency, as demonstrated by primary funding and documented by a letter from that agency.
    * K-12 Public Schools/Districts, Charter Schools, Community/Junior Colleges, State Colleges and Universities.
    * Private schools and colleges with current tax-exempt status under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
    * Churches and other faith based organizations with propose projects that address and benefit the needs of the community at large. Examples of such projects include:
    * Food Banks
    * Shelters
    * Job Skills Training

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by rcfd3583 View Post
    Does the department or association have to be a registered 501c3 organization to receive the donation?
    That can depend on the department. Ours is set up as a government entity, so we're good with most of these types of grants, though some still want the 501(c). If you're a municipal department, you can fall under the same category by using the city as an umbrella.

Thread Information