Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: loyalty

Forum Member

Default loyalty

I am working to obtain my EMT-B cert. and have been applying to career departments for a while now with no takers. I am really enjoying the EMT class and am considering going farther with EMS training. My question is, is if I get hired on a department that does not operate an ambulance service would it be looked down upon if I tried to get hired on a bigger department that does operate an ambulance service. I will be a career firefighter someday, I just want to be on a department that will give me the opportunities to put my full potential into the fire service.

Forum Member

I have the exact same question. I would like to know if it is ok to accept a job offer from another department if you are already hired on full-time somewhere.

MembersZone Subscriber

In the end, you need to make sure you are happy and able to provide for yourself and your family. So that may mean you have to make a switch someday. If you choose to do this, I would let your Chief know as soon as it looks like it's going to happen so they can plan for your replacement. Be honest and upfront with them: "I love EMS and want to work for a dept that also provides that service." Be prepared that they may not be too happy, especially if they've invested lots of training, time and money into you.

I would not knowingly accept one job offer if you know you will be leaving shortly. That would be rude and disrespectfully to your employer.

I would suggest that if EMS is that important to you, only apply at depts that offer that service. You might also be able to work part time for another local agency as an EMT-B or Paramedic. One nearby dept hires "civilian" paramedic to work on their ambulances with a firefighter, but most of the paramedics are on with another local dept. Also, our local trauma center has its own ambulance service that also runs for the metro fire dept. They use a lot of off-duty FF to staff their medic rigs too. These might be other options for you to get your fix.

Forum Member

To an extent, I would agree with zzyyzx. You ultimately need to do what will make you happiest. There is nothing wrong with pursuing your career, be it at a different department, to become a better firefighter/paramedic/etc. Shortly, I'll be facing a similar choice going from a 'smaller' dept (~75 career sworn) who operate as both FF/PM to a major city to hopefully become a better firefighter and paramedic. More work both fire and EMS.

I would disagree with only applying at depts. that run EMS especially when taking the current market situation into account. Who knows, you may get picked up by a department that you don't mind not running an ambulance OR they may begin to implement EMS after you're hired. I may catch flack for this mentality and feel free to disagree with me, but I don't think there's any reason that you should limit yourself right off the bat. However, his idea of picking up a side job to work on your EMS skills is a good one.

Know that no matter what you do, the grass isn't going to be greener. Both sides are going to have their pros and cons. The first department won't be happy should you decide to leave but I don't know if you'd get looked down upon per se. I would absolutely not advertise that you might actively be seeking to go somewhere else. There are good reasons to change departments and there are bad reasons. Pursuing your interest in EMS as a basic (or hopefully medic) is in no way a bad reason to change departments.

Forum Member

1. Highly suggest give them the probation time. Do not apply till after you are off probation

2. happens all the time job jumping.

some people love where they are from day one, for various reasons, and never leave.
    others hop around all the time, for various reasons.

Some cities have no loyalty when it comes to job cuts????

Some departments make you sign an contract or agreement to stay in the department for several years and not jump ship as soon as you finish the probation period of a year!

I never care too much for those jumping ship. No loyalty!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Ok men, I need some honest advice and feedback. Here is my dilemma:

Due to the ultra competitive nature of civil service testing, I was encouraged to take as many firefighter entry level exams as possible. In my case, I sat for 6 exams this past year; however, my heart was set on one fire department in particular - lets call it "big city fire deparment." Many of the exams were given around the same time, so the hiring process is progressing concurrently among the different departments for which I tested. Fortunately, I scored well enough on the exams to place very high on the eligibility lists. So, at this point, it appears that I have a good shot at getting hired onto the department that moves along the fastest with its background check and oral interview.
    Here is my dilemma: it is likely that one of the smaller and less desireable fire departments will offer me a job before the "big city" department completes background checks and so forth. I scored very high on the big city test and stand an excellent chance at landing a job when they make appointments later in the year. Should I take the job at the small suburban fire department? And if I do, is it okay to proceed with the hiring process with the big city department if they end up calling me back later in the year? Or, should I turn down the job with the smaller department since my ideal job is with the big city department? I need some feedback from experienced firefighters/officers as to how I should handle this situation. Thanks!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zarack808 View Post
    In my case, I sat for 6 exams this past year; however, my heart was set on one fire department in particular - lets call it "big city fire deparment." Many of the exa Should I take the job at the small suburban fire department? And if I do, is it okay to proceed with the hiring process with the big city department if they end up calling me back later in the year? Or, should I turn down the job with the smaller department since my ideal job is with the big city department? I need some feedback from experienced firefighters/officers as to how I should handle this situation. Thanks!

I am the first to admit that I'm not a salty old vet with years and years of service. I do have time of my own and have been around the fire service for a long time through family. Personally, I wouldn't put all my eggs in the "big city dept" basket and turn down the smaller department. As you explained it, you are not actually being processed for the big city and that could take a long time. Now, if you were in the final stages of processing and knew that you actually were going to get your dream job with the big department I would say yes turn down the smaller one. As it stands, you have no guarantees so I wouldn't shoot myself in the foot.

....as I said in an earlier post, I wouldn't advertise this around the smaller department. Don't lie and be honest with them, but don't "flaunt" your plans.

Forum Member

zarack808

You need to pick one and stick with no matter what goes down.
    If you don't you might just find yourself without any job.

Then after the probation period retest, and hopefuly get lucky.

You might find where you land, even though not first choice will be good.

Some of us background checkers talk to each other, and we also require you to put on the application who you have tested with in the past, and who you are currently testing or have tested for.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by zarack808 View Post
    Ok men, I need some honest advice and feedback. Here is my dilemma:

Due to the ultra competitive nature of civil service testing, I was encouraged to take as many firefighter entry level exams as possible. In my case, I sat for 6 exams this past year; however, my heart was set on one fire department in particular - lets call it "big city fire deparment." Many of the exams were given around the same time, so the hiring process is progressing concurrently among the different departments for which I tested. Fortunately, I scored well enough on the exams to place very high on the eligibility lists. So, at this point, it appears that I have a good shot at getting hired onto the department that moves along the fastest with its background check and oral interview.
    Here is my dilemma: it is likely that one of the smaller and less desireable fire departments will offer me a job before the "big city" department completes background checks and so forth. I scored very high on the big city test and stand an excellent chance at landing a job when they make appointments later in the year. Should I take the job at the small suburban fire department? And if I do, is it okay to proceed with the hiring process with the big city department if they end up calling me back later in the year? Or, should I turn down the job with the smaller department since my ideal job is with the big city department? I need some feedback from experienced firefighters/officers as to how I should handle this situation. Thanks!

DO NOT pass up the small job and "wait" for the big one. There are so many what ifs these days. My example- I tested and scored 1st on the list. The chief called me and said that I would start in month when he retires. i would take his spot as the vacancy opens. The new chief moves up from capt. and is now chief. The new chief calls and says we will need you in 3 weeks. The following day he calls back and says the city put a freeze in that spot and I will get the next spot when a guy retires in 3 months. Well that was 20 months ago and 3 guys down and the city still is trying to cut more guys. In that time of believing I missed 5 tests. So take what you get, give them 110% and do what you have to do, cause they will always do the same.

Just a friendly word of advice, I wouldnt get too hung up on the whole EMS thing until I had tried it for a while. A lot of people are suprised to find its not exactly what they thought it would be. I worked on a box for a couple years before I got hired as a firefighter,And DO NOT miss any of it. In this day and current economic situation, jump on anything you can get. Good luck!

Thread Information