Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Teen Saves Baby From Choking

Teen saves choking baby

By Sarah Simpson, The Citizen March 5, 2010 12:02 PM

A Duncan mother is counting her blessings and a babysitter is being hailed as a hero after the latter saved her infant charge from choking on Saturday night.

Brandee Peart said she would be forever grateful for the quick reaction of 16-year-old babysitter Kasey Girdlestone.

"She saved my daughter's life," said Peart.

Words can't express how grateful the mother of five is to know she's got a caregiver she can trust.

"I felt like any other babysitter could have been sitting on the computer or ignoring the kids and my baby would have been gone. But Kasey was right there on top of it and saved her life."

Saturday was a joyous day around the Peart household; the day Brandee graduated from nursing school.

To celebrate, she and her husband Philip went for dinner.

Like many times before, Girdlestone was called to mind the kids.

"I babysit regularly for this family," said the Cowichan Secondary student. "I love their five kids. I have lots of fun when I babysit them."

Saturday night began like any other, but ended much differently.

While Girdlestone was preparing to give the children dinner, nine-month-old Emily managed to pop a small, grey piece of Lego into her mouth.

"I had already found a piece (and picked it up) but she'd found another in the dining room," Girdlestone explained. "I noticed she was choking when I turned around to give the kids their dinner."

Girdlestone said she's taken a babysitting course but never really thought she would have to use the lifesaving skills she'd learned.

"It was a very scary situation as it was happening," she admitted. "I didn't want to freak out because the other kids were in the same room, so I didn't want to freak them out."

Girdlestone leapt into action and attempted the baby version of the Heimlich maneuver to no avail.

"I picked her up and held her over my hand and tried patting her back but she kept gagging."

The piece didn't budge.

"I thought that it was going to go farther down so I put my finger in her mouth and felt it, so I just grabbed it."

The move paid off and Emily could again breath.

So too could Girdlestone.

"I still can't believe that it happened," she said.

The Peart parents took the small child to the emergency room just to make sure there was no further damage.

"There was a little bruise on her chest and the doctor said it was in the perfect spot, the perfect pressure and she couldn't have done it better herself," said the thankful mother. "Kasey saved her little life. She deserves some sort of recognition."

© Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist

StoryPhotos ( 1 )

Babysitter Kasey Girdlestone holds Emily Peart, the nine-month-old she saved from choking on a piece of Lego last week. Mom Brandee Peart (right) calls Kasey 'our superhero.'
    Photograph by: Sarah Simpson, Citizen, Canwest News Service
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Good job!! Mom looks younger than the babysitter!!!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Good job!! Mom looks younger than the babysitter!!!
    My thoughts exactly.

Being in dispatch, I would have preferred 911 would have been called, but of course she had her hands full. Dont delay PT care when you know what your doing.

Good job!

Banned

[SARCASM] This can't be!!! A child could not possibly do anything so heroic!!!! [/SARCASM]

Good save.

BTW, don't they still teach first aid in school? I recall I had a 1/2 year course in health where we learned CPR and other advanced life saving techniques.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    [SARCASM] This can't be!!! A child could not possibly do anything so heroic!!!! [/SARCASM]

Good save.

BTW, don't they still teach first aid in school? I recall I had a 1/2 year course in health where we learned CPR and other advanced life saving techniques.
    I knew you would have to make some stupid *** remark like you did. You are so predictable.

NO ONE HERE HAS EVER SAID A TEENAGER COULDN'T DO THESE SKILLS. What has been said over and over and over and over to the point of nausea is that some of us firmly believe that placing CHILDREN, even teenagers, in harm's way in the emergency services is not appropriate. You disagree, good for you. I am not willing to accept the responsibility for underaged responders. I am not willing to put them in harm's way to supplement staffing. I am not willing to risk their injury or death and carry that around with me for the rest of my life.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    I knew you would have to make some stupid *** remark like you did. You are so predictable.

NO ONE HERE HAS EVER SAID A TEENAGER COULDN'T DO THESE SKILLS. What has been said over and over and over and over to the point of nausea is that some of us firmly believe that placing CHILDREN, even teenagers, in harm's way in the emergency services is not appropriate. You disagree, good for you. I am not willing to accept the responsibility for underaged responders. I am not willing to put them in harm's way to supplement staffing. I am not willing to risk their injury or death and carry that around with me for the rest of my life.
    Ummm.. I dont get it, FyredUp. No where in his post did SC say anything remotely related to your response.

As for SC's query, I dont know what the schools teach any more, although we never got any FA or CPR trg when I was in school; I got my trg from being an Air Cadet, while still in school.

Teenagers who want to do babysitting, although not exactly "mandated" are strongly encouraged to take the Babysitting Course, which specificallyincludes basic first aid and CPR for infants. And in many cases, parents are beginning to actually request that any care giver have these skills before being "employed".

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post

I guess I treat all people equally while you walk around with a dual standard. Here is a philosophical question for you. Who determines what is underage? And who decides what is too old?

Think about this. There was a time when there was no legal drinking age. In my lifetime it went from 18 to 19 then 21. The people making these rules are insane. A person at 16 is mature enough to marry, have a family. At 18 we think they are mature enough to vote and defend the freedoms of this country. Yet, they are too stupid to drink a beer. I would not want children on the scene either. One has to remember that a child is one who is prepubescent. There used to be a time when 10 and 12 year olds went out and worked on the farm, some still do. In my opinion they still should. Cuts down on the obesity problem, gives them less idle time to cause trouble, and teaches them a good work ethic. It would cut down on the crime as well. Interesting that you say you are willing to risk death and injury to older people.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    Ummm.. I dont get it, FyredUp. No where in his post did SC say anything remotely related to your response.

As for SC's query, I dont know what the schools teach any more, although we never got any FA or CPR trg when I was in school; I got my trg from being an Air Cadet, while still in school.

Teenagers who want to do babysitting, although not exactly "mandated" are strongly encouraged to take the Babysitting Course, which specificallyincludes basic first aid and CPR for infants. And in many cases, parents are beginning to actually request that any care giver have these skills before being "employed".
    I did, in the [SARCASM] section.

Of course some fly off the handle and don't answer the question. Do they still teach first aid in school. I had that class when I was in 8th grade (FYI 13 years old)

Banned

Here is another thought concerning the age issue. We have no problem letting 16 year olds do one of the most dangerous things - Driving a car. Yet we won't let them do a far safer thing like helping out a fire scene.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    I guess I treat all people equally while you walk around with a dual standard. Here is a philosophical question for you. Who determines what is underage? And who decides what is too old?

Here's how stupid this entire section of your post is. You treat all people equally? Really? So you treat a 14 year old girl the same way you treat a 25 year old woman? You allow 16 year olds to drink? You allow 15 year old kids to smoke? You are a LIAR of unbelievable proportions if you sit there and say you treat under the legal adult age children the same as adults. So get over your self and stop continuously posting idiotic drivel just to get attention.

Think about this. There was a time when there was no legal drinking age. In my lifetime it went from 18 to 19 then 21. The people making these rules are insane. A person at 16 is mature enough to marry, have a family. Mature enough? Not a freaking chance. Biologically possible to reproduce? Yes. Legally allowed to? Yes. Stupid? Of course. Legally At 18 we think they are mature enough to vote and defend the freedoms of this country. Yet, they are too stupid to drink a beer. I don't agree with the stupidity of the drinking age. Are you an adult or not? I would not want children on the scene either. One has to remember that a child is one who is prepubescent. There used to be a time when 10 and 12 year olds went out and worked on the farm, some still do. NOT UNLESS IT IS A FAMILY FARM. Federal law doesn't allow children under 16 to operate power equipment while employed unless it is a family farm. In my opinion they still should. Cuts down on the obesity problem, gives them less idle time to cause trouble, and teaches them a good work ethic. It would cut down on the crime as well. Interesting that you say you are willing to risk death and injury to older people. Not what I said, although I am not surprised you twisted my words. The difference is an ADULT has life experience and is TRULY MATURE enough to understand the risks and consequences of the dangers of firefighting. They are solely responsible for their actions. Anyone under the age of 18 that becomes a junior firefighter has to have parental permission. Further many in the teen years have little concept of their mortality and the thought of dieing in the line of duty is simply unfathomable to them.
    Nice try once again ScareCrow...Pot stirrer, that is all you are.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Thread Information