MembersZone Subscriber

Default 2010 AFG SCBA Question

I have one pumper, one tanker, one quick attack and one brush unit. We were awarded 4 SCBA in 2007 to replace our old SCBA on our pumper. Would it be practicle to request replacement of the two SCBA per apparatus that we have left? Could I increase the number of SCBA per apparatus to equal the seating positions for each apparatus?

Still no movement on my 09 turn-out application

Thanks for your comments

Forum Member

A question for me (and a reviewer) will be why didn't you replace them on the other apparatus in 2007?

DHS will award one SCBA per riding position.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SLY4420 View Post
    A question for me (and a reviewer) will be why didn't you replace them on the other apparatus in 2007?

DHS will award one SCBA per riding position.
    Not necessarily, I refer you to this post by the expert http://www.firehouse.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107859 (Air pack question)

I used this argument to get 8 packs for 6 seated positions.

Forum Member

Brian, they aren't going to actually delete all your old post are they? I need to get busy copying the jewels like that one if they are.

MembersZone Subscriber

My tanker has seating for 3. It is our 1st out apparatus on all automatic aid structure fires and many times is the first on scene apparatus. Could this be a strong argument for having 4 SCBA on this apparatus.

Our quick attack has seating for 3 also. I believe I understand that NFPA 1720 does require 2 in/2 out. With that could I get 4 SCBA for this apparatus?

Our brush has seating for 4. I should be able to request 4 for this apparatus.

I did not understand the scope and though I could only replace the SCBA on our primary engine. We were also awarded a compressor and fill system. That maxed us out on our matching part of the $.

Forum Member

Volchief, read the thread I posted above, thats all the arguement you need

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Volchief1 View Post
    My tanker has seating for 3. It is our 1st out apparatus on all automatic aid structure fires and many times is the first on scene apparatus. Could this be a strong argument for having 4 SCBA on this apparatus.

Our quick attack has seating for 3 also. I believe I understand that NFPA 1720 does require 2 in/2 out. With that could I get 4 SCBA for this apparatus?

Our brush has seating for 4. I should be able to request 4 for this apparatus.

I did not understand the scope and though I could only replace the SCBA on our primary engine. We were also awarded a compressor and fill system. That maxed us out on our matching part of the $.
    Feel free to double-check me, but as far as NFPA they want the max of 2 SCBA or enough SCBA for each seated position on "initial attack" apparatus and tankers, and 4 or enough for each seated position on engines, quints, and ladders.

You can argue reasoning for more, and by all means do so. The worst that's gong to happen is you get cut down to your number of seated positions. However, Sly brings up a very valid point on the question of why you didn't ask for the others in '07. Be prepared to address it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Catch, if you get a chance can you please e mail me a copy of your grant you spoke about in another thread.

We did not request replacement of all our SCBA in 07 because I believed thta we could only replace our packs on our engine. The rest of our belt mount scba are starting to fail and there are no parts to repair them

Thanks

henleyfieldvfd@bellsouth.net

Forum Member

Chief,

Wish you luck on the application -- sounds like you have a need, however the fact that you didn't do it in 07 will hurt you in the eyes of some reviewers. Sorry you didn't know about it, but what's done is done.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SLY4420 View Post
    Chief,

Wish you luck on the application -- sounds like you have a need, however the fact that you didn't do it in 07 will hurt you in the eyes of some reviewers. Sorry you didn't know about it, but what's done is done.
    Heck, why not just tell them you aren't an NFPA expert and you thought you were asking for the correct amount in 2007 and lo and behold you found out you were wrong...it happens--if you were wrong and got TOO MANY, I could see a prob. But he was wrong to the LOW end. If we were all NFPA experts, we'd probably be lawyers...hehehe...

Forum Member

i would be careful about applying for as many scba as you can. would be better to apply for the number you need. remember sustainability with requested testing later on and the ever precious storage space too.

Forum Member

One thing I wonder about SCBA. Say you have a department with two engines, one tanker and two squad/rescue/ vehicles?
    4 seats on each engine, 2 on the tanker, and say 6 on each squad. 22 positions total.

If I understand the grant program they would give enough to cover the 2 engines and the tanker? Not the squads correct?

Also how do they determine seated positions? Just by the seat belts OR by how many people can actually FIT?

Take the E-One we have it is a commercial cab rig with "three" seats in the cab if you go by belt locations. BUT unless the center person has one leg, half a butt and no turnout gear they ain't gonna fit!!!

Thread Information