Forum Member

Default Building Gear Racks

Hey guys. We are going to be building some gear racks at one of our stations and wanted to know if anyone hade any plans or tips or anything.

Forum Member

An industrial fellow at our station made racks using square tube steel frames and 1x18 solid pine for the shelves. I think he had the steel "available", so it was mostly the wood and time invested. They stand just about six feet with a shelf on top, the length of a coat, then another shelf. They were custom fit between the pylons in the bay; about 8 or 9 feet long.

We are in a house built in 1936, so the space made for gear takes into account helmets and coats, which is to say, not much. Ironically, it's a big house built to accomodate for upwards of five or more apparatus ( used to be headquarters ). The racks the city provided are those, typical "cage" type things. I imagine after material and time invested, they're actually very cost effective, but you know firemen.

Unless you've got access to scrap metal, I'd imagine wood or prefabricated is the only way to do it on a budget.

Forum Member

We have some gorgeous racks in our station made by a member of another dept, I can't remember who.....They are solid hardwood, on wheels (which is a GREAT THING!) They have 12 spots (6 on each side) they have bottom shelfs for the bunker pants, and cubby holes for your personal stuff like car keys or whatever, and then a top platform for your helmet. Under the cubby holes are several coat racks for your bunker coat, and street coat when you take it off.

If you want a pic just holler and I will send one, and if you like the looks of them I will dig for the guy's name, he has made them for quite a few companies around here, so I have to think he has plans.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Most of our stations have a pretty simple idea. Along one side of the bay there is a 16 inch "bench" attached to the wall (supported with a triangle brace every few feet) maybe 18 inches from the ground. It's a simple idea, but it stores our bunker boots & pants well keeping them off the ground for ease of cleaning the floor.

Then, maybe six feet above the ground there is a 2x8 mounted flush on the wall. Every couple feet we have a hanger (looks kind of like the handle top of an old extinguisher) that we use to hang our coats and helmets.

A simple idea but it's cheap, easy and works well. These are only for turnouts as we have lockers inside the station for our clothes and uniforms.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

We don't have any racks at all. A lot of our guys take their gear home or keep it in their vehicles. A few weeks ago, though, we got some large masonry nails and nailed them into the cinder block wall in the engine bay, one up high to hang your helmet and one a little lower to hang your coat. Pants/boots go on the floor underneath. Not a great solution, but it's a heck of a lot neater than it was with gear just stacked or hung in whatever convenient spot one could improvise . And it was really cheap.

We didn't want to invest in gear racks at this time because we are about to build a new station, and there will definitely be gear racks in there. Also, it's an old station and there's not much clearance around the trucks for big bulky racks. I'll miss the old place, but I can't wait to get in the new station
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

I will see if i can take a picture and upload it here of the ones that a member of our dept made for us. He made them out of some Oak lumber he had laying around from one of his jobs. They are VERY nice and they work alot better than what we previously had, which were some hooks on the wall.

Forum Member

The way our racks our is like "wire" shelving. We have on shelf about 12 inches off the ground and then another one about 6.5 feet. Coat can hang from the higher one, and then helmet goes on top.

Thread Information